Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 910 locking up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 910 locking up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: New 910 locking up Reply with quote

I got a new 910 today. It started up OK, then after downloading the updates via HOME, it has frozen completely. Did a hard reset, cleared the data downloaded, deleted HOME, did it again. This time it start up, but won't go farther than Select Map screen. Now it seems GB postcodes missing.

Can I reformat the disk and copy everything over from CD?

Help need

Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT, NOT, NOT reformat the disk!! The CD won't help if you do - it's just extra stuff like manuals, TT Home and the like.

Tell me you did a complete backup using Windows Explorer before you started all this. PLEASE!!

If not, do a copy to your PC now - even with a bit of a dud, you need SOMETHING saved.

Then start again. Did you disconnect properly when you finished with Home? - click the My Device icon at bottom of screen?

Consider taking it back where you bought it first thing tomorrow morning, saying it don't work, plead ignorance and innocence and let them figure it out or give you a replacement.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tyfaenor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful about deleting anything off the TomTom, without having a full backup of it first. The maps are not on the CD, so you will loose them at the very least if you delete everything.
I had a similar problem with mine, which I eventually found out was a corrupt file on the TomTom. I found and fixed this with chkdsk running in a Dos command prompt and was then able to replace the corrupt file with one from my backup.
It sounds like you might have a simlar problem. The file I had a problem with was cnode.dat in my Western_and_Central_Europe folder which had 0 bytes and chkdsk found as corrupt. Each time I deleted this, it was auto-created. Only way I could find to fix was the chkdsk route. Pretty scary stuff doing that, but as the 910 wasn't working and I had a backup, I thought I had nothing to loose....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyfaenor wrote:
Only way I could find to fix was the chkdsk route. Pretty scary stuff doing that
... Particularly when you understand that the TT isn't running under DOS or Windows, so chkdsk could well find lots of things "wrong" which aren't wrong at all!! You're a braver man than I am! Not Worthy

MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: New 910 locking up Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments. I slept on the problem and eventually contact TT help line and got through in less than five minutes. The guy I spoke to admitted that the version of HOME on my CD (June 2006) had caused problems but he said as my backup was 3.2 Gig and it was the first thing I had done with the box, he was convinced that formatting and drag and dropping would solve all—and it did!

Once I had reinstalled the software I got hold of the latest HOME executable, installed that, and was immediately offered TT's free camera database, which I took, but it's not a patch on ours, no traffic lights and no verbal information about the what is ahead but better than nought for the time being.

Now I am looking to where to get the bits to install "our" camera database on the new box. Must be blind, but I can only find instructions for 510 and 710.

I don't think some people fully appreciate what we have here: so much good help and information, freely given.

Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a set-up guide for the PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera database specifically written for the 910 Here
There is also the FAQ Page which has links to various information which you will find of use - spoken alerts can be accomplished using the Text To Speech format as per the Guide I linked earlier or the OGG file method covered by the FAQ page.

I am somewhat concerned at the size of your back up file though - a 910 full back up is typically around 8GB so something is not quite right here - do the Computer voices such as Kate still work? - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of GO910 I'm keeping on my PC for son in law whilst he is PC-less for the moment during major house renovations. Simple copy using Win Explorer back when it was new in January 2007. It's 7.11GB.

vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though the Text2Speech voice files weren't backed, they normally aren't with TTHome.
The full set of TTS voices is 4GB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: