Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost Voices, [b]again![/b]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost Voices, [b]again![/b]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Lost Voices, [b]again![/b] Reply with quote

This is really annoying. I have this problem every time I update the speed cameras. I don't rely on memory to do the update; I do it by the book and every time I lose the voices but then I can't remember how I fixed it last time (It's an age thing).
All the ogg files are there in the Western Europe file. On enabling the POIs I found that each indivudual camera type was already checked and shows on a route demo. When I go to choose the warning distance for each individual camera, it asks me "Do you want to remove Warning? YES, NO." I click on NO and that is all. I've read a lot of posts for clues on what I have not done/done wrong but haven't found any. Help me please and I promise to write the instructions on the wall and not bother you again.
Sorry, I also posted this in the wrong place.
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you update the speed cameras you only need to copy the new ov2 files to the map folder, these new files overwrite the existing (old) ones and thats it - you do not have to do anything else.
The warnings and configuration will remain the same as before, so I do not see how you are looing the spoken alerts? - Mike
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Assuming that it is the speed cameras from this site - then this is what I do each time:-

1. I choose Tomtom.OV2 (Home is not too friendly)

2. I download the Speed zoned files and save them in a new directory each time. (Generally PGPSW and the date e.g. 2007_07_10)

3. Next - I unzip all the files into the new directory

4. I then highlight all the .OV2 and the .BMP files and copy and paste them into the map directory of the Tomtom.

5. I do not change or alter any of the settings. I do nothing with the .OGG files.

Does this help?

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RQ, you have described exactly what I have done. I don't use Home either. I stick my SD card in the computer so it sees it as a removable disc. I open it and open the WE map folder. I just download the new files to my desktop and unzip them, select them all and copy them to the WE Map folder. I went into TomTom to enable them but found they were already enabled. What have I missed?
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazzza wrote:
Thanks RQ, you have described exactly what I have done. I don't use Home either. I stick my SD card in the computer so it sees it as a removable disc. I open it and open the WE map folder. I just download the new files to my desktop and unzip them, select them all and copy them to the WE Map folder. I went into TomTom to enable them but found they were already enabled. What have I missed?

Are you sure that you are ONLY transferring the new ov2 files. You do not need to transfer the bmp or any ogg files. You do not need to alter any settings at all.
Just transfer the new ov2 files and carry on as before. No need to mess around with the 'warn before' settings or anything else!

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: file copying Reply with quote

No, I am copying every file in the downloaded folder, bmp and ov2. I'll try just copying the ov2 files.
Bazzza
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: file copying Reply with quote

Tried that. Still no warning voices.
Bazzza
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazzza wrote:
I went into TomTom to enable them but found they were already enabled.
TT will generally do this if you add a new POI.

When you copy the Files to the SD Card are you asked if you want to overwrite the old file with the new?

Going back to your first Post, when you click NO, after the removal question, are you asked to select a sound?

Have you tried running a Demo Route past a known camera? Do you get the flashing Icon in the top left of the screen, counting down? Or do you get just the Icon at the camera location? You don't need the POIs to be Enabled if you are using Warn When Near.

Now the silly questions. Is the Sound turned down? Have you ticked 'Only Warn when on a Route' and not using a Route?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you downloading the same database, ie, the new speed zoned file to replace the old speed zoned, or have you downloaded the consolidated to replace the speed zoned etc?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just confirm whether the filenames are right or not...

Can you put your SD card in the reader, start up Windows explorer to look at it and check the contents of the map folder?
Whatever version of the database you have, the .ogg voice files MUST have the same name as the ov2 files. Maybe you have renamed one or other in the past, so now with a new download, the names don't match any more?

Assuming you have the speed-zoned files, they should be called

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2 - the data file
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp - the icon
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg - the audio/voice file

+ all repeated for all the other categories.

Please tell us if this is EXACTLY what you see.
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately downloaded the speed zoned files to replace the old speed zoned files.
Against each camera I have an ov2, a bmp and an ogg file.

I'm going to put the sd card in the reader and study it. If I can't see anything wrong I guess I'm going to have to start again and download a new set of camera and ogg files.
One thing I have noticed is that I have a Western Europe folder and also a Great Britain folder. Can I delete the Great Britain one?
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully daft question... You are actually using the Western Europe Map, aren't you? (Change preferences/ Manage Maps / Switch map)

All of the ov2,bmp,and ogg files have to be together in the map folder for the map you're actually using.

If this is all a red herring, we can get back to the previous exchange. Laughing
Once you've examined the contents closely, with a bit of luck all will come clear.
Incidently, there is a handy free utility you can use to easily post a listing of the filenames of all the contents of your map folder. Get DriveZ HERE
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On studying what was on the SD card I noticed that there were 2 sets of uk mobile files, one set with an ogg file for each one and one set without ogg files. So I deleted the set without ogg files. On running TomTom I found that not only did I not get the voice warnings but no camera icons either.
I unzipped my downloaded files and copied them across to my SD card again and this put the files I had deleted back on and restored the camera icons when I ran TomTom but still no warning voices.
After I put the card back in TomTom I go to enable the cameras but they are already enabled. Is this right?
When I go to Manage POIs and Warn when near POI I select each camera and it asks if I want to remove the warning. Iclick on NO and it goes to Distance from POI. I click on 300 and it goes to Warn only if on route. I then click Done and run a route with known cameras on it.
Am I doing something wrong?
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazzza wrote:
When I go to Manage POIs and Warn when near POI I select each camera and it asks if I want to remove the warning. Iclick on NO and it goes to Distance from POI. I click on 300 and it goes to Warn only if on route. I then click Done and run a route with known cameras on it.?
Nothing wrong with that at all, you will have spoken camera alerts, the key part is the fact the device DOESN'T ask you for a warning sound.
Test the set-up:

How To Test Your New Warnings

You could go out and drive past some local camera installations, there is a much easier way though that doesnt waste valuable fuel:

Switch on the TomTom device, or start the application as applicable.

Go to Advanced Planning (AtoB)

Set a departure point using Address/ Postcode FY43NN House number 95.

Set a destination point using Address/ Postcode PR41AX House number 33.

Now go to Show Route/ Route Demo, set the replay speed to around 100% and sit back watch/ listen, you should receive a Gatso 30 warning within about 45 seconds followed very closely by a Mobile 30 warning.

The above method is less hastle than getting the car out and driving around looking for cameras - Mike
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. That works fine and is the same method I used to test before but I used a local destination which goes past 2 mobile 40 cameras.
Strange thing is that, after I used your departure and destination points which worked ok, I did another demo run using my departure and destination points and the warning voice didn't work.??? Do you have another test route that takes in a mobile 40 camera?
Barry
ps. Yes, I am using the Western europe maps.

I have run a few demos which included mobile 30s and Gatso 60s and the warnings work fine but I can't find a different mobile 40 to test.
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi

Last edited by bazzza on Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: