Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed cameras from Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed cameras from Tom Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian1867
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras from Tom Tom Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have scoured the forums to find an answer, but without success. Can anybody help here?

I just bought Tom Tom Navigator 6 and installed it on my HTC Touch Dual. It works fine, (eventually...) however...

I loaded the speed camera from the Tom Tom Home programme, (they were on the DVD,) but Tom Tom has them greyed out on the PDA, other than the update button. They are not on POI either, (unlike my old version 5.)

I assume they copied over without activating, but I did try removing them and recopying over from Tom Tom home. Tom Tom won't help as my PDA is not supported. I did tell them it works fine in every other respect.

Any thoughts anybody?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to subscribe to the TomTom database if you really want to, I would have a look at subscribing to the offering from this very web site for a camera database, it is more upto date and the coverage is far more comprehensive, at £19 for the year its far cheaper than a fine - Mike
Ian1867
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mike.

I have subscribed and had camera databases from here in the past, and will do in the future, as I need updates.

Tom Tom advertise the "Free pre installed camera" on the box of my NAvigator 6, so I assume they should be useable without further cost.

Tom Tom only get as far as saying they will not support as I am not using a phone from their list... I would accept that if the whole programme didn't work, but everything works a treat other than this.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTC Touch and Touch Dual are great devices, I am waiting for the Touch Cruise, just because they say it is not supported doesn't mean it won't work - to be honest the first thing I do with any TT device is remove their cameras from the map folder as they are of little use in comparison to the offering from here.
I see your point about them being free trial etc. but I wouldn't bother wasting time on this, it is simply not worth it - Mike
Ian1867
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest for anybody looking for a solution, I solved it earlier today..

When Tom Tom Home installs the cameras, it decides to put it in the Europe maps folder. However, I also have the GB maps, and was looking for them on that. They need to be copied into that folder on the SD card and Hey Presto, the camera menu on Tom Tom started working.

Give it a month and I will buy PockeGPSWorld updates again though, not only on price but to support organisations that offer support rather than just sell a product and send out pre done emails to answer questions that you never asked in the first place, (looking at you Tom Tom.)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you drive very carefully then for the next month, no Mobile locations and a dubious (that’s the best term I can summon up to use) fixed camera database is what you are currently employing.

We would be interested to hear your thoughts after a month when you "switch" provider though Wink - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Ian1867 wrote:
Tom Tom advertise the "Free pre installed camera" on the box of my NAvigator 6, so I assume they should be useable without further cost.

Reasonable assumption and certainly usable without further "cost" - presumably you consider the odd points and fines to be outside that definition? The "latest" cameras issued with the latest maps/devices include the roadworks cameras on M5 between junctions 16 and 21. And they have one for the new bridge near Sodom Lane on the M4 - We had it as Temp:21289. Perhaps somebody can tell us when they were actually removed? - I know I verified some of them, but at my age I can't remember that far back. They don't have a single one of the Specs cameras on the M4 between here and London (e.g. at Membury services since the end of October, at Reading since Adam was a boy, you name it). Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian1867 wrote:
When Tom Tom Home installs the cameras, it decides to put it in the Europe maps folder. However, I also have the GB maps, and was looking for them on that.

!! I thought we were in Europe! Age is a terrible thing. Evil or Very Mad (I was bad at geography at school and it was over 50 years ago anyway - all this time and I've been illusioning myself).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Ian1867
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big point taken re up to date, mobile cameras etc. Mind you, I don't slow down for cameras all the time, as I am normally not speeding. That said, I have had speeding tickets...

I take it Tom Tom uses the same database to tell you the speed limit on the road as you drive. I know this could be construed as another topic, but driving in a 30 zone last night, and Tom Tom was trying to tell me it was a 40 zone... At least their disclaimer is accurate!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road speed data is contained within the map and it is far from accurate or upto to date to rely upon - reading the road signs is a better bet to be honest - the Speed Camera database contains its own speed setting per camera so the two are not really related (one common factor being the inaccuracy applicable to both though) - Mike
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is a great salesman for the PGPSW database ;) (I have a subscription btw) :D
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Make sure you drive very carefully then for the next month

Then after the month is up you can be reckless?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: