Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How long have you been driving?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How long have you been driving?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you DennisN, Thumbs Up

What a great story you have made in better aware of bad engine you understand very well and wish you a better new 21st Centry van with built-in satnav in the dashboard anti-thief in the future. 8) Hoping you know all the new switchs is :P

And Darren, wish you a happy recover with your right leg better of those accident so time ago, take care, drive slowing, don't end up in a scooter car next time in future. Ho by the way, give me a lift one of your private plane to cyprus in a second, I want to getaway from England, it a horrible weather by the way. :P Mr. Green
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You must have made a fortune out of it judging by the 2005 National Winner!!
Quote:
The competition is the regarded as the premier skills competition in the bus industry and the very top prize, won by Brent, is worth £1500.

I am now stopping googling to find you.

£1500! Blimey, all I got was a Cup (which I only kept for one year), for being best at my depot, a shield for being second for Maidstone and District and another for second in the Kent Final. And I think one extra holiday day.

I never expected to win and only entered because another driver at my depot, who entered the competition every year, boasted of how good he was. Yeah right, I'd travelled on his bus a few times and wasn't impressed. My mates told me to enter to see if I could beat him and shut him up. To cut a long story short, he gained more penalty points on one manoeuvre than I did in the whole competition. I never mentioned it to him at all. :D Well not once about 6 months had past.

I've never thought of Googling for the info. I'll have to see if I can find anything. Final was at Ashford Army Barracks.

Maidstone and District, East Kent and the then Maidstone Corporation bus companies were involved.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went a-googling in order to be able to post "Hallo John Smith, glad to hear you were runner up in the 1985 Kent finals of the Bus Driver of the Year", thereby destroying your anonymity behind the counter of the office where you work. As is far too often the case, my efforts were futile, so I'm giving up on unmasking you (after I've made just one more effort, googling under Kent bus station lost property office boss)!

Ah well
Quote:
Your search - "Kent bus station lost property office boss" - did not match any documents.
that's the end of that then - nobody will ever know who you are, Kimo Sabi.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test in New Zealand about 24 years ago when I was 15. The test was about 10 minutes long and a bit of a joke really. The Police looked at me a bit puzzled and said "I'm sure I've seen you driving around in your dad's car for the past year". Supreme Angel

I've been booked for most things in my mis-spent youth (New Zealand cops will nick you for ANYTHING), though I've never been in a serious crash and I've had a clean license since I moved to the UK.

I passed my bike test in the UK about 10 years ago and have ridden practically every day since.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a short spell as a biker when I hit forty. Ended up with a 6 just like yours Skippy. I was forever wringing its neck, couldnt help it Rolling Eyes Prefer to rent a Harley in Florida these days, nice steady plod, flies in teeth and all that :D
bettyboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that gets me about bikers is the way they push in at traffic queues :o Its ok untill they get too near and smash your wing mirror off and then disapear in a puff of smoke.

I'm sure all you bikers on the forum are very considerate though Wink
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bettyboo wrote:
The thing that gets me about bikers is the way they push in at traffic queues :o Its ok untill they get too near and smash your wing mirror off and then disapear in a puff of smoke.

I'm sure all you bikers on the forum are very considerate though Wink

If i'm on a bike like all bikers i "filter", but i wouldn't get that close to a car mirror, as striking it (unless it's a tap) can do more damage to the biker than to the mirror, not all mirrors close easily.

But i do understand where you are coming from, when driving a car i have even had a biker close my mirror, so that he could pass.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hardly 'push in', we make our way to the head of the queue and then move off holding up no-one. I've never seen a biker take a car's mirror off! I've seen plenty of car drivers take bikers off though!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
.....Prefer to rent a Harley in Florida these days, nice steady plod, flies in teeth and all that :D

On my top ten list - "To do before i Die"

2) Travel East to West across the States along Route66, on a Harley, steady plod, no time schedule, flies in teeth accepted.
bettyboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We hardly 'push in', we make our way to the head of the queue and then move off holding up no-one. I've never seen a biker take a car's mirror off! I've seen plenty of car drivers take bikers off though!

Well it did happen to me at a queue, traffic on both sides were held up and a biker came right up the middle, I dont know if he accidentaly tilted too much towards my car but he went past taking my mirror with him. I know you may be considerate on your bike but there are plenty who arent and will just swerve in an out of traffic. The worst time is when its at traffic lights and a biker tries to get to the front before the lights turn green again, but cant quite make it, he will then quickly get behind the car in front of him just as the other cars are moving off causing them to brake to avoid hitting his rear end.

I will agree with you about car drivers taking bikers off though, some will be waiting at a junction, see a bike in the distance and sit there thinking whether they will make it out before the bike reaches them, then suddenly decide they will give it a go, of course leaving it too late and crash into the bike. Why sit there thinking about it though, for gods sake go when you can see you have the time.
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old day of 1978 I has my motorbike right wing mirror smash up by a big lorry and near rip my right arm off, the lorry never bother to stop. gone off like a flash. Twisted Evil
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most car mirrors bend back when you hit them. I've hit a fair number of them but (as far as I know) never actually damaged one. Well, I've never damaged one accidentally anyway. Twisted Evil

In contrast to this, I've seen loads of car mirrors get smashed off on parked cars, vehicles coming the other way etc so I don't think us bikers are that bad in the grand scheme of things!

As GJF points out, a bike that hits a car mirror hard enough to break it is likely to do a lot of damage to the bike too.....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
but (as far as I know) never actually damaged one. Well, I've never damaged one accidentally anyway. Twisted Evil

I know exactly what you mean, i confess I 'may' have exacted revenge on one twoddle who tried to squeeze me out against a kerb on purpose laughing as he did so. One well aimed gloved fist and his mirror was left dangling against his door Twisted Evil
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Quote:
One well aimed gloved fist and his mirror was left dangling against his door

Nice move. Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't condone such actions but it was a kerbed central reservation in London. I was in the outside lane, the inside lane becomes a left hand turn and so this plonker who was right alongside me started to move across into my lane.

I gave him a gentle 'beep' on the horn and he looked, started smirking and carried on moving across forcing me to drop back. The central kerb ended a few yards further on so as I accelerated and overtook him I 'accidentally' caught his mirror with my fist.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: