Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How long have you been driving?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How long have you been driving?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: How long have you been driving? Reply with quote

I have been driving for 28 years since 1979 passed first class very good and have clean driving licence such a long times, the car kept change a lots for a driving test for a brand new car to test it with 6 gear more on it and I dam hate it, love going back to the year of the 80's good fun. Smile

How about you guys Rolling Eyes
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my test in the Army 1977, can't boast that I've had a clean license all that time though :D

Mike
bettyboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been driving for just over 10 years now, well 10 years 2 months to be exact :P It took me four attempts to pass but thats only cos each time, I had a stupid examiner who didnt know how to drive himself (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it) I have had a clean licence all that time so I am a good girl.

I drive a silver mini, one of the new ones and I love it to bits. OH and today I brought myself a new nokia N95 because I wanted a new phone and a sat nav system, £499 for a bloomin phone it had better be worth it.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test in 1969 and had a period of never ending speeding fines in the 1990's but have been legal since - got myself slower cars.
Other than that a clean driving licence throughout.

I was on motorbikes before 1969 starting when i "borrowed" my dad's 500cc BSA side valve when i was 13 - but we won't talk about that.
This took me into the "Mods and Rockers" (the latter of course), but i only managed to squeeze in the latter days due to my age but still a few years of fun.

My bike day's included building "racers" in the 60's when they were virtually unknown, i also used to race bikes and hold a couple of unofficial speed records - but we won't talk about that either.

I have had many cars, some of which are now very collectable and before the 70mph speed limit was legal, i managed to blow-up a E-type Jag at ***.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
I passed my test in 1969 and had a period of never ending speeding fines in the 1990's but have been legal since - got myself slower cars.
Other than that a clean driving licence throughout.

I was on motorbikes before 1969 starting when i "borrowed" my dad's 500cc BSA side valve when i was 13 - but we won't talk about that.
This took me into the "Mods and Rockers" (the latter of course), but i only managed to squeeze in the latter days due to my age but still a few years of fun.

My bike day's included building "racers" in the 60's when they were virtually unknown, i also used to race bikes and hold a couple of unofficial speed records - but we won't talk about that either.

I have had many cars, some of which are now very collectable and before the 70mph speed limit was legal, i managed to blow-up a E-type Jag at ***.

Aaaaa, where all the mods and rockers gone now, good fun in the old days Crying or Very sad
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bettyboo wrote:
I have been driving for just over 10 years now, well 10 years 2 months to be exact :P It took me four attempts to pass but thats only cos each time, I had a stupid examiner who didnt know how to drive himself (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it) I have had a clean licence all that time so I am a good girl.

I drive a silver mini, one of the new ones and I love it to bits. OH and today I brought myself a new nokia N95 because I wanted a new phone and a sat nav system, £499 for a bloomin phone it had better be worth it.

Best to buy a iphone Wink
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just worked out how long I have been driving; had to take my shoes and socks off and still not enough digits.
38 years.
No speeding tickets, but was "arrested" in Guernsey when I was pacing out a parking space to see if my car would fit.
Done the defensive driver training course at Silverstone, and had a bit of high-speed training before I was invalided out of the Fire service.

Alistair
bettyboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nan (when she was alive) told us that in her days there were no driving tests and women werent allowed to drive Confused You just taught yourself and off you went, no road tests, or highway codes, nothing!!

In those days there were no roundabouts or all the road signs we have now and not that many cars so the dangers were almost zero compared to today.
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bettyboo wrote:
My Nan (when she was alive) told us that in her days there were no driving tests and women werent allowed to drive Confused You just taught yourself and off you went, no road tests, or highway codes, nothing!!

In those days there were no roundabouts or all the road signs we have now and not that many cars so the dangers were almost zero compared to today.

There loads of roundabouts all over the place the the rest of the UK, is use to be the straight road in the old day, good god I have to lie down Rolling Eyes
provenjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven for both Ford & Subaru factory rally teams Embarassed
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 350cc Matchless G3 motorbike on my 16th birthday in July 1959, put L plates on for my test, failed it, took off L plates. Put them back on for 2nd test and passed. Drove all the way home from Wood Green to the Elephant and Castle with L plates on. Embarassed

Passed car driving test in November 1960 in a little Standard 8. :o

Caught speeding in 1959, 80 up the Old Kent Road on the bike. Sad

1965 big accident where I was stationary and a lorry swerved and reshaped the front end of my car and I had to have several stitches in my forehead.

Caught speeding again about 1971, doing 40, following my father-in-law, with a police car following me. The 30 sign was obscured at the time of the offence but couldn't prove it.

No convictions since.

10 years accident free bus driving in North Kent. Runner up Bus Driver of the year competition, Kent Finals 1985.

Worst ever journey, early 60's, London to Land's End 18 hours. Average about 16 mph.

Best ever. Pembroke Dock to Rainham, in the 80's, 5 hours (including 30 minute break). Average speed 59 mph.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've held a car licence for 25 years, a motorcycle licence for 26, HGV Class 1 18 years and a Private Pilots Licence for 22.

In all that time I've only ever had two speeding penalties with 3 points each time, one for 36 in a 30 (whilst I was a serving Police Officer albeit very junior!) caught by a Police Radar and once for 55 in a 50 on the M4 near Newport travelling to watch Wales play caught by the dreaded Tallivan.

I've had two accidents, I was knocked off my motorbike when I was 18 by a driver who turned across my path without indicating (SMIDSY) which resulted in a plastic kneecap and once in Germany when I was side swiped and hit a bridge stanchion. That resulted in 14mths in hospital (8 of them in Germany) and a fractured lower spine which is still held together by a rather impressive collection of screws and pins! I was very lucky not to be paralysed, apart from the occasional bad back and a limp resulting from a badly fractured right leg in the same accident I fully recovered.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
10 years accident free bus driving in North Kent. Runner up Bus Driver of the year competition, Kent Finals 1985.
You must have made a fortune out of it judging by the 2005 National Winner!!
Quote:
The competition is the regarded as the premier skills competition in the bus industry and the very top prize, won by Brent, is worth £1500.
I am now stopping googling to find you. Surprised

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Lost_Property wrote:
You must have made a fortune out of it judging by the 2005 National Winner!!
Quote:
The competition is the regarded as the premier skills competition in the bus industry and the very top prize, won by Brent, is worth £1500.
I am now stopping googling to find you. Surprised

Hi DennisN,

May I ask, do you have anything to say of how long you have been driving and driving test passed, we love to hear from your story. 8)

Thank you Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed in 1963 first attempt, in a Wolseley 1500 (British School of Motoring, £1 an hour lessons). My first vehicle was a 1949 Jowett Bradford van with real (ordinary, greenhouse) glass windows let into it - the salesman said he'd start it up and "Just listen, like a sewing machine innit?" I agreed. Then he said he'd show me the engine and opened up those side panels at the front, "There you are, beauty innit?" and I agreed again. I bought it and took it home and went to find the engine - as far as I knew at the time, an engine was a sort of boxy shaped lump, with four wire strings coming out of the top, but I hadn't seen it earlier. It turned out to be two cylinders, horizontally opposed, air cooled, with a wire string coming out of each side. The big ends went when the heavy oil was diluted as I topped it up.
I got better at cars in time. But these days, I change my van every two years when the unlimited mileage warranty runs out. I tell the nice garage man that I'll put diesel and screenwash in it and anything else is his fault. All my life, I never lost a windscreen until 3 years ago, when I had three go inside six months (the second only ten days after it had been replaced).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: