Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leenig
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: USA Maps Reply with quote

i know there was some talk months ago about navman selling maps for the USA, are they now for sale? I really just want maps for florida can anyone inform me where I may purchase a copy from? (legal product only)

Lee
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be Navman?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Leenig
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Maps for the USA Reply with quote

Hi,

I will be buying the Navman 4410 spackage and would rather stick with Navman product etc, but are are my options? My understanding was that many Navman systems were 'locked' and you could only use maps provided by Navman.

Thanks
Lee
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wanting a USA map pronto! How best can I go about getting maps of Manhattan, Washington DC and that whole area, for when driving btwn the two. Rolling Eyes

Navman have not released their USA map yet. I don't think I want to mess about with Tom Tom USA2 and the software it additionally needs. Am looking at Microsoft's Autoroute 2004 or cheap Streets & Trips 2004, plus the Pocketstreets software.

Will the the Microsoft solution work for me??? 8O Or is there a better answer. Idea

I never knew GPS would be complicated!!

Thanks boyeeeeeee.

Gem Gem
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Microsoft computer game doesn't give you voice instructions.

Who said NavMan don't have US maps? They just used to bundle them with their hardware but as of V2 this should be unlocked...

If you want a good alternative (and for wahtever reason don't want to use TomTom) look at Routis or oPilot or Destinator or Mapopolis or...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old but i stumbled upon Smart Street Pro USA :
http://navcity.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php+products_id+293

Not sure if this is still available as the date is early 2003.
tmg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Navman USA Maps Reply with quote

Had the same problem last year, Navman kept saying the maps were coming "soon". In the end it turned out that the map data was incompatible between the SmartST Europe & USA software.

So, imported a complete sleeve & software (including proper manual) from the US (boy are we being ripped-off in the UK! as the complete unit cost less than just the suggested US map data). Unistalled the Europe software & installed the US software.

YOU CANNOT JUST INSTALL THE US MAPS ONTO THE EUROPEAN SOFTWARE.

System worked fine in US with no glitches whatsoever, other than running out of memory in the IPAQ itself. If you have a lot of map data on an SD card the memory used by the SmartST application is directly proportional to the map sizes being held on the SD card, so you may need to spit the maps onto more than 1 card as it loads certain parts of all the maps in on start-up. The function of turning off unwanted maps didnt appear to be implemented. Check before you go that the software runs & sees the sleeve, it just tells you to go to the nearest road... 4000 miles away!

Came back, unistalled US Software & re-installed Europe.

Plus you get a "backup" sleeve, mount, cable etc.

Only remember that if you do import one you get stuffed by the nice gentlemen from Custom & Excise for import duty! so figure this into the cost.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree... that strikes me as a total rip-off.
I can't see any difference in the specs:
http://www.navman.com/go/usa/products/gps4410/index.html#ts

TomTom Navigator USA is only $149.99
The answer then is maybe to wait until over in the US and buy it.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word from Navman on USA maps is:

We expect to release USA maps in the middle of 2004. They are expected to retail for £149/€219 incl VAT.

Rather expensive when you consider TomTom Navigator software and USA maps is only $149
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to the USA for a short trip - up to 9 days, try mapopolis. I recently used the free maps (application is already free) on my GPS3450 and it worked well in Chicago and Milwaukee. Impressive in that the POIs for places such as restaurants also include the phone numbers. :D
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
The word from Navman on USA maps is:

We expect to release USA maps in the middle of 2004. They are expected to retail for £149/€219 incl VAT.

Rather expensive when you consider TomTom Navigator software and USA maps is only $149

The email I got said the same price, with May touted as the release date. I am toying with the idea of buying a 4400 package whilst I'm there. That way I'll get a BT receiver to go with my 3450 sleeve, and a copy of the US maps. I've seen the package for $300.

Oh, and it's yet to be confirmed that the US and European maps will run under the same front end. I've asked the question of Navman support and will let you all know when I get a reply, subject to any NDA, of course.
subt2lvr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: need a copy of mapopolis or anyone selling theres Reply with quote

i am looking for a program called mapopolis the one with the voice commands, i need the north america edition. can you make me a copy and how much. i have the compact ipaq, all i need is the software. please help, or if you know anyone just let me know. email me at subt2lvr@netzero.net
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a source at Navman:

As long as both version of the software are V2, you should be able to use both maps.
I haven't made the test though. in the worse case, you might have to use EU software + EU maps and US software + US maps.

Hopefully with the impending release of USA software a more definite response as to compatibility will be forthcomming.

subt2lvr wrote:
i am looking for a program called mapopolis the one with the voice commands, i need the north america edition. can you make me a copy and how much. i have the compact ipaq, all i need is the software. please help,

Surely you are not asking for pirate copies????
Go to http://www.mapopolis.com/ where you can download the Mapopolis Navigator software for FREE!
All you need then is to purchase the N America maps pack or specific area maps as required.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
alienrat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: USA Maps Reply with quote

Leenig wrote:
i know there was some talk months ago about navman selling maps for the USA, are they now for sale? I really just want maps for florida can anyone inform me where I may purchase a copy from? (legal product only)

I have the opposite problem - I have SmartST v2 USA and no european maps. The US maps work fine but its a bit grey where I am in somerset!

I need to find out where I can get the EU maps. I tried emailing Navman asking if I could swap the US disks for the EU ones and didn't get a response (as seems normal emailing them).
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: USA Maps Reply with quote

alienrat wrote:
Leenig wrote:

I have the opposite problem - I have SmartST v2 USA and no european maps. The US maps work fine but its a bit grey where I am in somerset!

I need to find out where I can get the EU maps. I tried emailing Navman asking if I could swap the US disks for the EU ones and didn't get a response (as seems normal emailing them).

Try here or even here for UK maps. Are you selling your US ones, by the way?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: