Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 660 Traffic accuracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 660 Traffic accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jezahl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 660 Traffic accuracy Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been using my 660 for a couple of months now, but have found the fm traffic facility to be almost useless.

Every time it says there is traffic ahead there's turned out to be none, with the result that I just don't trust it now.

With the latest software update (that shows delays in minutes) I thought that it might be more accurate, but sadly no.

Am i doing anything wrong, or are there any settings I can tweak?
At the moment it's a complete waste of time having it

TIA

Jez
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the 660 since last October and up until the January GTM firmware update the traffic function was superb with plenty of info and most of it correct with good avoidance routes. The mess-up with this update is all the worse since it was so good before. Remember that the data isn't controlled by any of the GPS manufacturers so the accuracy of it is down to trafficmaster, itis and the info providers. That said I do think that garmin need to sort this current mess out if there aren't to be a deluge of returns.
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just spoken to Garmin UK about the lack of traffic information. They admit it is a software fault and Garmin USA are working on it but they cannot give any timescale of when an update to the problem with 3.90 will be issued.

So until then the Garmin Nuvi 660 updated to TMC3.90 is not fit for purpose and should be returned to the store for a full refund. Accept no excuses.
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also spoke to them this morning about this and got the same story as the last poster. Whilst I'm sorely tempted to get a refund, the problem, AFAICT, is that there is no obvious alternative on the market if a reliable FM TMC is a must-have. On the basis of reports from friends and colleagues added to what I read on the web, TT TMC is hopeless and has been so from the start, so before I return I'd like some feedback on a system that actually works?
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take the Nuvi back to the shop and demand a replacement unit with TMC 3.70 installed.

I was generally disappointed with Garmins lack of commitment to a date for the fix.

When will Garmin understand that customers who have paid several hundred pounds for a product are not going to wait forever to get the unit back to a working and useable state.
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has this issue been sorted yet?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - latest release of TMC s/w from GARMIN doesn't have the same problem as discussed above.
mlavende
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had a 660 with the tmc thingy a month or so now and have generally been pleased except with the traffic master data reception. We drove back from Devon to Herts yesterday and the Garmin didn't show any Traffic Master problems despite our separate Traffic Master Module popping up problems all over the place. When I bought the 660 I assumed I'd be able to ditch our separate Traffic Master module but that doesn't appear to be the case. Is my 660 broken ? I have the latest firmware.

Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

-Mat
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you have the aerial for the GTM21 on your 660? The TMC works differently from the TM Freeway (and similar). The Freeway picks up very localised signals based on something akin to SMS technology. TMC requires FM radio signal to get the RDS information. This requires good reception. People do get some reception using the 'black wire' aerial on the windscreen - but you get much better reception if you can connect it to an external aerial - either the existing car aerial (with booster amp is preferred) or to a separate aerial. Look in the TMC forum elsewhere in these forums and you wil find lots of discussion and information.
mlavende
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil,

I have the aerial vertically suckered to the windscreen. I'll try horizontally since some people say that is better but I doubt I'd go as far as to try with an external aerial. I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

I do feel like I've paid a chunk of cash for something that I can't use. I was quite excited about the tmc and routing around traffic problems and one of the reasons I bought the 660 over the tom-tom equivalent was size. Does the tom-tom use the same technology do you know ? Maybe I should return the 660 and replace it witha version without tmc and save myself some cash.

Oh well, moan over. Time to try and find a realistic solution

Cheers

-Mat
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses the same technology in as much as it uses RDS on FM - but uses a different supplier (ITIS) who use different radio station (predom CLASSIC FM - but with some other commercial stations). The accuracy of the information is subject to the perennial 'mine is better than yours' wars in these forums Laughing

Both camps agree that TMC in UK is not great due to low power transmitters that it uses. Over in continental Europe it appears to be MUCH better.

If you have ever chaned a radio in a car then you should manage to tap into the aerial.
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

Both camps agree that TMC in UK is not great due to low power transmitters that it uses. Over in continental Europe it appears to be MUCH better.

It's not necessarily the low poer signals that are the problem. At least they can be solved by the user, even if the vendor is a complete about it. Some vendors of course recognise that problem & are doing something about it (e.g. TomTom). Some are simply putting their head in the sand & saying 'What problem?'

On the other hand all the signal in the world won't help you when the data is complete crap & bears no resemblence to reality...

When I had a TT500 I used the GPRS traffic feed for a couple of months. Bloody useless I'd have to say. I balked at paying the money for something that left me sitting in 3 hours of traffic on the M1 while telling me there was no problem... That was ITIS data BTW...

On the other side of the fence is Traffic Master. Sadly they're really no better. I'd really really like someone to explain why the M4 is essentially unmonitored outside of the M25... And why the A404(M) is only monitored leading to the HandyCross roundabout... Never at J8/9 for the M4. And why the A4 is only monitored from London out to J5 for the M4. And that badly.

Damnit! We pay for this SHITE!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: