Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - question about qubit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

question about qubit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: question about qubit Reply with quote

Hi guys

phoned a very reputable southampton car audio installer today about sorting my ipaq gps audio output , and wiring it to the car audio for better clarity , but was informed not possible without making special circuit board

cough cough bul*shi*

hmmm , dont think he wanted the trade , just read the qubit article which i`m sure he must be aware of , and it sounds very interesting , has anyone actually added the qubit system yet and if so how much was it and is it any good in the real world
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't the reputable one down in Shirley by any chance ? The one that tried to charge me £50 to fix an FM modulator which had a dodgy 3.5mm audio plug cable on it, only cost me £25 brand new and when I said no, they kept it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a retail price but was told it was approx 100 euros. Nemesis are the UK distributor and they should now have stock although I imagine you would have to buy from a dealer. http://www.nemesisgb.com/
phillos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of installing a 2210 into my car, and have found a way to connect the audio into my amplifier. I was told by my local car audio installer that it wasn’t possible without a special circuit board and relays. However after a bit of digging around on the net, I found instructions for building a small mixer to combine several audio signals together - I've built the mixer now, and it sounds more complicated than it is, it's literally 3 pairs of phono (RCA) input sockets [1 pair spare for future use] connected via a resistor to a pair of phono output sockets. The ipaq is then connected from the headphone socket through a line level converter to the mixer; the stereo already has phono outputs, so these plug straight in.

This was the first time I've used a soldering iron since school and I found it pretty easy going – in fact I had most difficulty drilling 4 sets of straight holes in the small aluminium box - a task I pretty comprehensively failed!...thankfully it'll be hidden behind my dash, so cosmetics don't really matter.

I haven’t finished the install yet (waiting for my brodit mount), but I have tested the setup in my car, and it all seems to work perfectly. All in (excluding the brodit mount/proclip) the mixer has cost me around £20 including buying a cheap soldering iron. I'll post more details (web links, photos etc) once the mounts installed, and everything’s back together.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. We'd appreciate some photos and any wiring diagrams or instructions you have etc, we could then create an articel for other readers to follow if you wished.
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Dave

u got it m8 , the very same one , he made out like it was the end of the world and the science involved was akin to getting a spaceship to Mars

on a side note i thought i`d ask how much to give me hands free on my Nok7250 i , everyone`s doing it so it`s gota be cheap ish , get this.....£ 220.00 hahahahahahahahahahahah, the damn phone is only worth a quid these days

dont know what they are playing at down there but , NO CHANCE , i wont be spending my hard earned in there i can tell ya , i`l stick with the button on the phone that says , loudspeaker and the mount thats wedged on the flat bit infront of the display in my Astra

@ Phillos
looking forward to seeing and reading your experience `s m8 , any chance of hurrying up , i wana do the same Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave , take a look here http://www.boostaroo.com/products.html

would that be any good , i`m thinking split a cable from one of the output jacks and either tap into a speaker or maybe aux in on the back of a car stereo

i`m no genius at these things , just a thought
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant luck yet with that info yet , got the weekend ahead and i`m itching to get audio through through the speakers Thumbs Up
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadful English and spelling , lets try again............

any luck yet with that info , got the weekend ahead and i`m itching to get audio through through the speakers

and the site is at last back to speed , thank goodness , it was driving me nuts Mr. Green
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason why that shouldn't work.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boostaroo I believe will work, I've seen it before as an amp, but haven't tried it myself. Last time I looked over a year ago there were UK shops on the net selling it.
phillos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil,

Sorry no progress on my installation - I'm still waiting for my proclip & mount from handnav, I'm guessing they don't keep Alfa proclips in stock.

As far as your other ideas, I'm not sure about tapping into a speaker cable directly as whilst the boostatoo amplifies the signal, I'd be surprised if it amplifies it enough to drive a set of car audio speakers - but don't regard this as and expert opinion, its probably worth looking for a car audio forum and asking on there.

Wiring it directly into the aux-in to your stereo would work, though your stereo would have to be able to accept high level (amplified) input, which mine won't. However the main issue with this approach which made me reject it, is that you will have to choose which to listen to - music or gps directions - and you'll have to physically switch between them on you stereo. As I said, this is'nt what I was looking for, but if its what your after.....
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i`m after the same as you mate

Gps audio at same time as radio/cd

i have just been out with a screw driver and dropped the glovebox out to get to the stereo wiring and bared a couple of speaker wires back with a special piece of equipment , a lighter Thumbs Up , but although i can determine which ones are the plus side of the speaker cable , i cant figure out what colour is being used for the minus , maybe the double coloured wires have the plus and minus in one cable , sheathed inside , i`m not sure

i tried to just touch a couple of ex headphone wires to a couple of speaker cables but no audio could be heard , so i think i need to find the earth colour

anyone got any idea what colour goes where in a 3 yeasr old astra

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: