Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - All CoPilot problems........Fixed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

All CoPilot problems........Fixed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: All CoPilot problems........Fixed Reply with quote

Well, not posted here for a while!!

Here's a surefire way of fixing all your CoPilot probs.

BUY A GARMIN NUVI 350

I did and well, beats the Copilot PDA rubbish thingy into as many cocked hats as you can throw at it.

Non of this tweaking, hacking, develop your own fix palaver, just works, camera alerts as well.

To the money grabbing camera database owning PGPSW staff, keep your subscription, you obviously need it more than I do now. What was the phrase? Free forever, oops sorry lads changed our minds!! Enjoy an extra large buffet at Xmas, with my contribution!!

And to Dave (Support Manager) Burrows, that call back I was promised about the bugfix, oops sorry, upgrade, you wanted me to pay for some considerable months ago....................... well you can forget it. I know you have, but it's official now.

Oh and one last thing, Ladbrookes are taking bets on how long this post stays up.

Grimbeard

One very happy, ex Copilot user. Good riddance.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: All CoPilot problems........Fixed Reply with quote

GrimBeard wrote:
Here's a surefire way of fixing all your CoPilot probs. BUY A GARMIN NUVI 350

Hey, Gidday mate, long time no see! Welcome back. I wouldn't be too hard on ALK, CoPilot 7 is out soon and that will fix all their problems don't you know. Laughing

Good choice with the Garmin, though I've used a mates TomTom a bit and they are pretty good too.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: All CoPilot problems........Fixed Reply with quote

GrimBeard wrote:

Oh and one last thing, Ladbrookes are taking bets on how long this post stays up.

Why would it be removed? you're entitled to your opinion.

One thing I'd like to point out though - camera alerts aren't free forever - you only get them free for 3 months. After that it's £39 per year. We charge £19 per year with the chance of getting that free for life. Still think the garmin cameras are better? Wink

MaFt
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it be removed..............That's what used to happen many moons ago with Anti-Dave B posts Smile

At least Garmin tell you the subscriptions are only free for three months. PGPSW always used to say free and always will be, then you spring a charge on us for something that cost you actually very little. You presumably make a nice little bundle on the back of a database built largely on goodwill. I didn't agree with it when you introduced it and i don't now.

Ironically i got an automatically generated e-mail from you good folks (Except DB of course!) saying my subscription had run out and would i like to renew it.

Well no actually. Something a bit fishy and slightly tainted about PGPSW.

I get offered a Mitac Mio, Dave Burrows, then of PGPSW does a review and raves about it, I buy said Mitac Mio with CP5.0 on it, 1st thing is, no Traffic, then software cr@p, then Mio Cr@p, then I learn to live with and hack around problems, then low and behold Dave Burrows heads up support for ALK, ALK is legendary for it's lack of support and he still owes me a ring-back. Then they want £100 for a bug fix, the EU maps won't work with the upgrade and they deactivate CP5 so you can't go back if you don't like the bug fix to CP5.

PGPSW, free camera's then charge for them, DB and ALK support, more links than Google!!

Garmin, bought it, connected it to PC, updated, put in car, just works.

It doesn't matter how much it costs, it works!!!!!

Have to go and calm down now

AND THAT BL@@DY DAVE BURROWS STILL HASN'T BL@@DY RUNG ME

Grimbeard Smile
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this a case in point!!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56718&highlight=moderators refers.

There may be some valid points here, but shouldn't they have been brought up in the relevent forums at the time, this sounds like sour grapes. No offence meant.

I don't know the poster from Adam, but why now?

Mike
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure what your case in point, point means Confused

If I remember rightly there was a huge post with many pages in anther section of these forums where I and many other people reacted badly to the decision to charge for the camera database, PGPSW still did it and made a killing from it no doubt.

It is sour grapes, the grapes don't get any sweeter as time goes by.

I don't know Adam either, but if you read far enough back you'll see me and a guy called Ponderous used to post loads. I stopped because the fun went out of it, charging for the Cameras and ALK charging a fortune for a bug fix finished it off for me.

Why now? well I've just bought me a Garmin, and i wish I'd done that 2 years ago.

Bitter and twisted, yes I am, and that Dave Burrows still hasn't rung me.

Grimbeard
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough, enjoy the garmin database.

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
fair enough, enjoy the garmin database.

Yup. Incidently, if you were the first to submit a new fixed camera location to Garmin will they give you the database free for the rest of your life?

How much is the Garmin database anyway?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Yup. Incidently, if you were the first to submit a new fixed camera location to Garmin will they give you the database free for the rest of your life?

i think you know the answer...

PaulB2005 wrote:

How much is the Garmin database anyway?

£39 per year!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lets just say i used the Garmin one for 5 years with 3 months free that would be 5 x £39 = £195 for 63 months (No doubt Garmin won't be making a killing on that then)

If i used the PGPSW one for 5 years and 3 months thats 5 x £19 = £95 + 3 x £2 = £6 = Total £101 for 63 months.

If i got free membership after that period I'd not pay any more ever with PGPSW but Garmin will still want payment for their database.....

Well I've got to say that the Garmin database sure looks a tempting offer in comparison to the PGPSW one!! Laughing Laughing Especially when you take into account the fact it is also less accurate than the PGPSW one, which means I'll also have an increased chance of paying a fine and getting points or even banned.

Should i throw my toys out of the pram and "Go Garmin"?
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me thinks you missed the point. It's not only the cost, the Garmin works and they didn't start off by saying it was gonna be free forever then changed their minds.

As for accuracy, well, most of the Scamera Van locations on the PGPSW database are actually ANPR sites, submitted by fools who don't know the the difference between ANPR camera vans and real live Scamerati.

On the A64, near the A1, occasionally you get a plod in a T5 parked in the layby just after the junction East bound with a hand held LT20-20. Sometimes you get ANPR both sides. As the GPS warnings on the Mitac with CP5 are not directional this results in 6-8 mobile camera warnings in the space of 100 yards, by the time the dammed thing stops talking to you you are already on the roundabout actually on the junction. The Garmin warns once, Eastbound! There are lots of mobile sites listed on the PGPSW database for North Yorkshire, when actually North Yorkshire do not possess, as far as i know, any Camera vans, almost exclusively these sites are ANPR. The PGPSW camera database has too many, but well intentioned false alarms. The Garmin database may be smaller but I've had no false alarms yet.

Maybe you get what you pay for! I'm well aware the toys are out the pram, currently i do not want them back.

Oh and he still hasn't rung me!!

Grimbeard
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you've looked at this GrimBeard.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56712&highlight=

Sounds like customer service people don't like you Wink

Seriously though, I hope you enjoy the Garmin experience.

Good Luck

Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimBeard wrote:
There are lots of mobile sites listed on the PGPSW database for North Yorkshire, when actually North Yorkshire do not possess, as far as i know, any Camera vans, almost exclusively these sites are ANPR.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/local-news?articleid=2953569

this implies that they do...

Quote:
North Yorkshire is one of the few areas in the country where there is no such organisation and as a result the county has no fixed roadside cameras, with speed enforcement done by regular police patrols.

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for accuracy, well, most of the Scamera Van locations on the PGPSW database are actually ANPR sites, submitted by fools who don't know the the difference between ANPR camera vans and real live Scamerati

Also many of the Mobile sites have been moved to a seperate unverified section and are undergoing re-evaluation. See any post on pMobiles....
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
GrimBeard wrote:
There are lots of mobile sites listed on the PGPSW database for North Yorkshire, when actually North Yorkshire do not possess, as far as i know, any Camera vans, almost exclusively these sites are ANPR.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/local-news?articleid=2953569

this implies that they do...

Quote:
North Yorkshire is one of the few areas in the country where there is no such organisation and as a result the county has no fixed roadside cameras, with speed enforcement done by regular police patrols.

MaFt

If, as it seems, we are all getting a bit picky about our replies, actually it implies they MIGHT, not that they do. I stand by my previous point, as far as I now there are no Scamera Vans in North Yorkshire, mobile sites listed on the PGPSW are nearly all ANPR sites with a few manned ones by plod with a hairdryer.

Grimbeard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: