Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Moderation - lack of consistency
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Moderation - lack of consistency
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Moderation - lack of consistency Reply with quote

Although this forum is designed to be self-moderated, some threads are allowed to drift way off topic and become heated and abusive.

Although some threads are locked because of duplication, others are allowed to continue regardless of whether the topic has been covered previously.

There is clearly no consistency in what moderators view to be acceptable and often moderators/PGPSW team partake in the banter.

It appears to depend more upon which side of the bed a moderator gets out of or which moderator reads a particular thread than content.

9 May:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=53474

15 June:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56579

Notice any similarities?

I coulld also give numerous examples of off-topic or heated threads, but there is little mileage to be gained from seemingly naming individuals
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mum, sorry mum, won't do it again mum........

Rolling Eyes

Please leave the moderation to the Moderators. If they had something to say they would have said it....
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that there was a thread recently where the contents of posts were edited out because the thread had become heated and verging on abusive, it's crazy that other threads are locked because of a couple of off-topic postings.

Why was the heated thread not locked instead of editing out contents of posts?

There is no rhyme or reason and this inconsistency of moderation takes much of the pleasure out of using this forum because inoccuous postings are frowned upon whilst abusive threads are allowed to continue.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does look like there's an element of who you are not what you write

i agree in leaving moderation to the moderators but at the same time sympathise with GPS_fan because we're not playing on a level playing field and it should be 'one size fits all' instead of one rule for some and another for everybody else
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all. I know that all of the moderators act on the content of the post and not the poster. I have had no problems previously with any people in any of the posts that I have ever locked – I simply believed that they had gone too far off-topic and locked them.

Occasionally the Moderators chat to each other and ask advice on which posts to lock and which to leave and listen to each other’s opinions. Don’t forget that, just like you, all us Moderators are different people and share different ideas and opinions.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Please leave the moderation to the Moderators. If they had something to say they would have said it....

Sorry boss.

What's the point in having a "Guestbook and Feedback Like the site? How can we improve?" forum if members are expected to keep their thoughts to themselves?

If the moderators aren't happy with my comments then all they have to do is say so themselves or delete the thread - but I'd prefer to hear this from the organ grinder Wink
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see an issue.

The Moderators run the board they way they see fit. For each person who thinks the Moderators are too slack there another who thinks they are too strict.

At the end of the day THEY are the Moderators and i feel they'll have better things to worry about if one thread has 1 too many off topic postings. I'm sure the postings aren't monitored religiously 24/7/365 so occasionally a thread might ramble on and on when there are aren't many Mods about, and another gets cut short if they are all logged in. Luck of the draw I'm afraid.

Just like crime. If you are lucky there are no witnesses and you can get away with loads. If you are unlucky that next police car is just around the corner.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GPS_Fan: I have never said that I wasn’t happy with your comments. By all means, feel free to make suggestions for the website and forum but please do so in the appropriate threads or forum. This was all that I asked for from the beginning and, to be fair, you were given a warning that the original thread had gone off-topic.

Please avoid making personal remarks or insinuations. I’m sure that none of the Moderators who put work into this forum on a voluntary basis would like to be compared to monkeys.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
Please avoid making personal remarks or insinuations. I’m sure that none of the Moderators who put work into this forum on a voluntary basis would like to be compared to monkeys.

Sorry, but if you were to read some of my other posts you'll see that I have great admiration for the PGPSW team and their devotion and you misinterpreted my comment.

PaulB2005 and I have had a little banter today, hence the wink and I didn't mean to imply anything personal.

I'll stop here before I go upsetting anybody else.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:

If the moderators aren't happy with my comments then all they have to do is say so themselves or delete the thread - but I'd prefer to hear this from the organ grinder Wink

Bo Peep wrote:
@GPS_Fan:Please avoid making personal remarks or insinuations. I’m sure that none of the Moderators who put work into this forum on a voluntary basis would like to be compared to monkeys.

having read this thread several times it clearly wasn't the PGPSW team who were compared to monkeys
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i feel sorry for the monkeys.... Wink
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off Topic .............................................. Stop! ............................................. Off Topic

I too can see where GPS_fan is coming from, sometimes the threads run off topic for pages, with pgpsw staff and Moderator's joining in and other times it goes slightly off topic and the thread is locked.

I can also understand Bo Peep as she did say keep it on topic and ended up with negative feed back.
I was recently told to stay on topic or be locked by Elder i wanted to reply as i felt he was being a bit hard, but as he was the "boss" (Moderator) i decided to move on and keep my mouth shut, after all we are all supposed to be "singing from the same Hymn sheet" not fighting each other.

Can i please suggest to the Moderator's and pgpsw an Idea .
As these off topic discussions are normally Sat Nav and driving related, not about the price of peas, could the answer be to have an "Off topic Lounge" area on this site, where non-technical discussions, or topics which can't be categorised into one of the existing headings be added.
Most of these at present seem to start in the News And Latest Information section, although not really suitable under either.

Some members are not technical minded others only have partial technical input.
Having discussions, as long as they are related to speed cameras, driving and the strange habits of a Sat Nav, keeps this site interesting and exciting, otherwise it would become a site only full of nerds.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
:Can i please suggest to the Moderator's and pgpsw an Idea .
As these off topic discussions are normally Sat Nav and driving related, not about the price of peas, could the answer be to have an "Off topic Lounge" area on this site, where non-technical discussions, or topics which can't be categorised into one of the existing headings be added.
Most of these at present seem to start in the News And Latest Information section, although not really suitable under either.

Some members are not technical minded others only have partial technical input.
Having discussions, as long as they are related to speed cameras, driving and the strange habits of a Sat Nav, keeps this site interesting and exciting, otherwise it would become a site only full of nerds.

This is currently being discussed amongst the team.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thank your lucky stars I'm in Corfu and far too busy with my Amstel to be bothering going off topic today Smile

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just thank your lucky stars I'm in Corfu and far too busy with my Amstel to be bothering going off topic today

Don't foget to log all the cameras. :P

Whoops Stop! Off Topic

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: