Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Backup Reply with quote

I have upgraded my Ipaq backup to the full Sprite version. However whenever I do a full restore, ActiveSynch does not see my databases (Outlook items) as the same and wants to synch every item. (1000+)

How can I get the restore or ActiveSynch to recognise the restored items as unchanged?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're outta luck with Outlook. It is always safer to re-synch everything from the desktop to the PDA. I had this myself two times, when after a restore I selected "Combine" and had to helplessly watch all my desktop mail disappear (until I ripped the PDA out of the sync cradle and banged it against the wall - well, nearly).

I would guess that in the Outlook case the message GUIDs get all confused so the systems can't match them together any more after a restore.

I think this enforces the advice that you should always see your PDA as a secondary device and NEVER as a system of record. Whatever is important to you, store it somewhere else (and synchronize it down to the PDA)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to architectural issues in the databases about which I have some understanding, but not complete technical details, there's no unique ID on items in Outlook that also appears in the Pocket Outlook databases. I believe this is a design issue that goes back a very long time - and I guess is not one that Microsoft can solve that easily now.

ActiveSync has to hold on to a map of this data in your partnership, but there are circumstances that can upset this mapping - particularly restoring a backup on the Pocket PC. As a result, there's no option but to resynchronise all the data after restoring a backup on the Pocket PC - in fact, it's actually safer to delete your partnership and recreate it after a restore.

The same issue is responsible for ActiveSync sometimes creating unwanted duplicates when combining data. There simply isn't enough information in the Pocket Outlook databases for completely effective recpgnition of duplicates in these circumstances.

For this reason, combines are better avoided. If possible, overwrite the databases in your Pocket PC with the data from Outlook.

As Lutz says, it's best, if possible, to be in a situation where you can treat your data in Outlook as a master copy, and that on your Pocket PC as less definitive. Amongst other things, regular synchronisation and backing up your PST files before making any major changes on your Pocket PC seem like a good idea.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: