Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announces New Go Range with Navcore v7 Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announces New Go Range with Navcore v7 Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
... On the other hand they haven''t put a foot wrong so far, so I must be missing something.

I wouldn't say that, I wonder how many unit sales they lost worldwide just because the Garmin 660 screen was so much better? (Personally I'm talking clarity and brightness rather than size) As Alix said, they have to try and keep sales up, and seem to have chosed to go with minor technical changes, accompined with marketing driven gimmicks. I think the writing on the wall
is the face that they're dropping development of the SDK. Most of the wothwhile 'extras' in the current software have their origins in outside ad ons for earlier releases.

I guess I'll have to wait for a couple more years of Mio/Igo development before changing again.
mike-davies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve already posted this in the Beginners Lounge but, at the risk of feeling rather intimidated by the august company of experts in this post, I hope you won’t mind me posting it here as well since it directly concerns the new X20 series.

I’m a newcomer to GPS looking to buy my first unit. I liked the look of the TomTom GO X10 series, particularly because of the Bluetooth mobile hands-free facility, and was on the point of ordering one (probably a 910) when I stumbled across the reports of the new X20 series. However, I have a few questions.

1. A major part of my reason for purchasing a GPS is to reduce the “partner map reading stress syndrome”! Since I’m driving to France on holiday on 14 July, what are the chances that the 720, for instance, will be available in UK by then?

2. The integrated FM transmitter looks interesting. My question is how is this going to work on a GPS given that the car audio system will presumably have to be tuned to a particular frequency to receive navigation instructions. Doesn’t this prevent me from listening to a CD or another radio station at the same time?

3. My work can take me to some far-flung corners of the world. How easy would it be to take my GPS with me? How good would the map coverage be of, for instance, South Africa, China or Mexico? How easy would it be to download maps for other countries if I need them?

4. Finally, given my situation (50+ age bracket but reasonably tech literate, driving around 12,000 miles annually in UK plus more overseas), what advantages would a 720 offer over a 910? I can buy a 910 for around £260 (incl VAT) but it looks like the 720 is going to be over £400. The price is not necessarily a problem but I like to feel that I’m getting value for money. Alternatively, is there another unit altogether that may better suit my needs?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong (it's been known, so my wife informs me) but I think you'd be lucky to get a 720 by the 14th of July.

Yes, with the FM Transmitter, you tie the radio to the GPS but you can play mp3 files on the 720 so it's not a complete loss.

South Africa maps are available but they are a bit patchy. I don't think that TT make maps for China or Mexico.

Of course, the 720 would come with a newer EU map but the 910 has both W&CE and NA maps. If you wanted an FM module for the 910, it costs money whereas with the 720 it's built in. Also, the720 comes with MapShare already working; the 910 would require new maps (cost) and software (free).

Have you considered a Garmin? The interface might not be as easy as TomToms but Mapsource for planning far outstrips what HOME can do, unless TomTom have upped the ante somewhat.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Map Share Reply with quote

Do you think Map Share will have the option of entering the location of pot holes in our roads. I just wonder what memory capacity would be required.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did ask TomTom's Director of Software Development whilst in Cannes, and he said that there would be a limit on the number of 'personal' changes made, either by number of instances or memory taken by such instances, and he said that the number of unshared changes would be limited. So, no answer to your questions as is, but there are, and have to be, limits.
mike-davies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Map Share Reply with quote

Tim

Many thanks for your helpful comments. I think I'm going to stick with my original plan of purchasing a TT GO 910, which I can use in Europe, and just hire a GPS (where available) from the car-hire company when I'm further afield.

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
Do you think Map Share will have the option of entering the location of pot holes in our roads. I just wonder what memory capacity would be required.

Based upon the state of some of the smaller South African roads, if this idea takes on over there then the entire system would probably collapse through overload!

Mike
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I did ask TomTom's Director of Software Development whilst in Cannes, and he said that there would be a limit on the number of 'personal' changes made, either by number of instances or memory taken by such instances, and he said that the number of unshared changes would be limited. So, no answer to your questions as is, but there are, and have to be, limits.

That is really interesting - thanks for sharing that. It answers some of the questions I've had about Map Share - namely, when I update via HOME, will I get all of Joe Schmo's personal changes? I guess not. I can't wait to try this thing out.
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see easydevices are already showing it and anticipating availability as August/September and pricing 520 and 720 respectively as £299.99 and £329.99 inc vat

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/scp/Dedicated_GPS/TomTom_GO.html
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone's looking at the design and seeing three holes across the top of the devices on the packaging, the samples we saw in Cannes only had two holes, one each for microphone and light sensor. A question to TomTom revealed that the final units will only have two holes.

As a note of caution, easydevices do say that the 'pricing may change'.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
.... It answers some of the questions I've had about Map Share - namely, when I update via HOME, will I get all of Joe Schmo's personal changes? I guess not. I can't wait to try this thing out.

It turns out that the actual "Mapshare" features are rather pathetic and address hardly any of the problems you'd think it would.
Its a Non-feature which must be amusing their competitors.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
It turns out that the actual "Mapshare" features are rather pathetic and address hardly any of the problems you'd think it would.
Its a Non-feature which must be amusing their competitors.

What features would you like to see in MapShare? Which ones do you think are pathetic?
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Map Share 1.0 won't let you add missing streets or roundabouts and you can't correct post codes after all. TomTom plans to add additional functionality in future releases of Map Share. Even so, Map Share is still a fantastic new feature that has the potential to be a real benefit to all TomTom owners. 90% of the map related issues I see can still be reported by Map Share 1.0 anyway.

It's also been confirmed that errors reported via Map Share will be used by Teleatlas to update their maps. Nice.

http://www.yournav.com/content/n/344/TomTom_Map_Share_disappointing.html

Report map errors- http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com
samjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't think it's pathetic at all. It sounds like revolutionary stuff, and if it works, even in it's initial form I think it's a very exciting development. If you think about it, Map Share is the logical direction for satnav to evolve in, but it doesn't look like anyone else has thought of it (or been able to actually do it at least). I can't wait to try it out!

New to the forum btw, hello all! :D
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samjohnson wrote:
...it doesn't look like anyone else has thought of it (or been able to actually do it at least).

It was done in Russia a few years ago - since there were very few detailed vector maps around, a navigation software company bought the "Major Roads" basemap from the local analog of Ordonance Survey and let some of their customers to actually edit this map and the rest to submit the changes/additions over the Net in various formats. As far as I know the project is still alive and well.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to correct errors on maps is a HUGE advance. It would certainly be enough to make me upgrade my software - I am frustrated when errors reported on multiple occasions to TeleAtlas over a period of 3 years fail to appear on new maps.
As far as the map sharing community is concerned I will reserve judgement - it only needs one joker with a twisted sense of humour to create chaos. If the authorship of corrections is made clear, I would be prepared to accept corrections from people I trust (ie people on this forum whom I feel I know after reading their contributions over the years).
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: