Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie needs help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie needs help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolerbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Newbie needs help Reply with quote

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question.

A friend of mine bought the Navman ICN 520. It looks like it does the job. How good is Navman in comparison to the other options?

I've got lost enough times and now that I've seen how good they are and how the prices have dropped, I would like to get one.

Problem is, it's such a big market with so many choices. As a software developer, I'm not scared of technology. So I'm comfortable with something a little more complex if there's a good reason for it. I don't know whether to get a Navman or whether a PDA will give me more, (or TomTom) etc...
(Also, what kind of warrantee can you get on these devices? I'd want to know I'm covered for at least 3 years.)

Are their any enthusiasts out there that can help me make a decision as to what to buy? To help, here's what I think I want thus far.

*My friend's Navman is portable. I like that.
*I want a big enough screen that's easy to look at and probably glare resistant.
*I want a loud enough voice that tells me what I need to know in time
*I want something durable
*My budget is £300 max
*I'd like full postcode searching.

Is anything else important? Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks so much for your help.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help Reply with quote

coolerbob wrote:
*My friend's Navman is portable. I like that.
*I want a big enough screen that's easy to look at and probably glare resistant.
*I want a loud enough voice that tells me what I need to know in time
*I want something durable
*My budget is £300 max
*I'd like full postcode searching.

Is anything else important? Anything else I should look out for?

Hi Coolerbob Welcome to the forum.

I think I'll start this off with an option at the top of your budget and suggest mayby a Navman N60i would almost certainly fit your needs with a bit more. As you work your way down through the price range you will inturn loose a little of the options you are looking for. An alternative system may also be a TomTom OneXL. A concideration for both options would be TMC (traffic Message Channel) which I believe works better on the Navman.
If you dig out the specs on the relative websites the spec should speak for themselves.
I'm sure you'll get a few other alternatives hereafter! Smile

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all pretty much the same. The bottom end are missing key features (POI downloads etc), the top end have fluff such as cameras, which some find usefull, but detract from primary function of Navigation. Some have strenghs over others, but most of the difference is personal taste.

First of all, work out what you want it for. Is it literally every day use, or occational "get of of jail" use? Then work out whats important -speed cameras, 7 digit postcodes (all current models should have it).

Main things to look for in a product today are:
GPS Reciever - if it's not SiRF III, that does not mean it's not good, but theres a reasona they all use it. Make sure the reviews rate the GPS at least as good as a SiRF III. That said, it only makes a real difference in urban canyons (Surrounded by tall buildings etc).

Screen Brightness - most of these use consumer grade PDA screens, not as good as automotive grade used in earlyproducts (iCN630's for example). But, screens have come a long way in a few years. If you wear polarised sunglasses, chack the screen works with them on.

Speakers have gone backwards. The early products had big sound, making them big themselves. Probelm is you cannot defy the laws of physics, so small speakers equals small sound, and modern units are small.

Think about battery requirements - do you need one, if so, how long do you expect it to last.

Ease of use - some are better than others, but be careful of the dumbed down too much ones.

3 Years Support - you obviously don't know this product market well. If you got 6 mionths support after purchase you are doing well. Map updates cost around £100, so factor this in (3 years * £100 / annum for map updates and theres your £300 budget.)

PDA - have one, love it, but, and it's a big BUT, if you don't like getting your hands dirty, don't do your own oil changes in you car, be careful about going there. They suffer from software reliabily issues more than standalone systems - I know mine does- thats because I really push it. Max out running programs and watch it crash in a ball of flame once in a while. OK by me - I am prepared for it and it's my own fauklt anyway.
But I also have an MP3 player, video machine, calander, contacts list, games and lots more. I would hesitate to go to a smart phone, theres oly so much one device can do with too many compromises.
If you go the PDA path, you have many more choices (PDA, GPS, combined unit, Bluetooth, wired etc)

Good luck - the one best piece of advise I can give is listen to others the ignre what they say Smile
coolerbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

A few follow-up questions then:

Are you forced to buy map updates every year? Can I just stick with an existing map?

I emagine, once the novalty wears off, I'll be using it once a month at most. Should that effect my dicision making?

I don't mind a PDA crashing now and then. If I go the PDA route, is it just as good? Does it work out cheeper or more expensive? Is the sound better on a PDA? Are the screens as good for the same money? Aren't the PDA screens considerably smaller and therefore less usefull while driving?

Is there a differnece in durability between PDA's and SatNav systems? Have any of you ever had the PDA or SatNav hardware pack up?

Thanks,
coolerbob
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one nice thing about MOST sat nav companies is that they don't tie you in to any sort of contract. You're not obliged to pay for anything, it is simply your choice. Most people will only buy map updates when they start to get affected by road changes in their are or commonly used routes.

The novelty will no doubt wear off, but if you're not going to use the system regularly, do you really want to spend a lot on it? I guess it's the same as any piece of technology. You could go out and buy a really expensive phone, laptop, etc, but will you use all of it's features all of the time?

I've always been a fan of having one device do one job. I make calls with my phone, take pictures with my camera, check my emails with my PC and boil water with my kettle. The more things a sysems has to cope with, the greater the chances of it going wrong.

I've had both PDA's and sat navs go wrong, some of it was my own fault Sad . I would still put money on my F20 surviving a fall and living compared to my XDA.
coolerbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i appreciate your comments.
you're right, i dont want to pay a lot - considering i wont use it that much.
is £300 too big a budget for occasional use?
I've seent the top-of-range navman go for over £900
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Stargate2006 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY COW! £900? I would say avoid that one, unless Vertu have got hold of it and encusted it with gems! You should be able to pick up an entry level sat nav for around £120 - £140. Top range ones in this day and age would top out at £500 - £600.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate some peoples views on the all in one product, but I find the PDA based phone with integral GPS a very good solution, purchase price will depend upon mobile phone supplier and device but a T-Mobile Compact MDA-III can be had for free. With built in GPS and the phone its a great combination and works very well with most sat nav software (Co-Pilot, TomTom and Route 66 to name a few I have seen working on the unit).
It is worth considering if you use a mobile phone on contract as this provides a low cost option to get the hardware, buy the software and you will have plenty of change from the 300 figure originally quoted - you can even surf the net on the device and answer queries such as this when mobile.
The big plus point is that you are far less likely to leave the device in the car for some toe rag to steal, if its your phone it is second nature to take it with you rather than leaving it in the vehicle for a chance theif to strike - Mike
coolerbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, do you sell PDA's by any chance? If not, have you considered a career change? Laughing
coolerbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stargate2006 wrote:
coolerbob wrote:

I've seent the top-of-range navman go for over £900 Confused

Which one is that of Navman gps unit of over £900.00 the top of the range. 8O

Do you have the website link for this :P

Err... em... yes, on this website!:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navman-icn-650.php

paragraph 3
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't sell these devices as a job, I design electrical devices for certain products that fly faster than you can achieve when going on holiday.

Its up to you I was only offering an alternate solution to your dilemma, and a choice I keep reverting back to, the PDA phone offers so much more in terms of capability over and above a dumb PNA sat nav, even the basic PDA falls down in comparison - your choice, as you will have to live with the choice - Mike
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the price confusion now coolerbob... Dave Burrows posted that review in December 2004. In technology terms, that is a lifetime. Expect the prices to be a lot cheaper :D
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation

Last edited by Stargate2006 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one point on the occational use - I expected to use it occasionally, but find I use my SatNav regularlydue to the Speed camera database.
You don't need to program the route and get guidence, just turn it on and tune your ear in to that little warning tone.

Mike seems sure the PDA/Phone option works well, in which case I would go for that. With a Bluetooth GPS reciever perminantly powered through your ignition.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: