Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 20 MPH BRITAIN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

20 MPH BRITAIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveNN wrote:
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't the variable spped limits on both the M's 25 & 42 introduced for these reasons??

I can remember the "slow is faster" topic coming up but wasn't fully aware that it referred to these roads.

If that is the case, do you know why on the M25 the limits change 50/30/60/40/50 etc and don't keep to a constant lower speed?
As you know drivers race up to the camera's, slow down to the required limit to get past it, than race back up to the next one to do it all again.
That and the different varing speed limits turns driving through the entire set of cameras as nothing more than a big game!
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stargate2006 wrote:
Welcome to the forum katade, :D

20 mph is very slow, does all's government car's going to slow speed around westminster, guess think not. Bouncing

For somebody that has a house with a swimming pool and half a mile long wall around their garden and several houses abroad including one in California you really seem to have a downer on the British government and our system.

YOU appear to be doing OK by them Rolling Eyes

To old to die young.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
YOU appear to be doing OK by them Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Meeeooow Rolling Eyes

When I win the lottery, I'll still feel entitled to have ago at Mad Ken and all our Rulers. :x

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Quote:
For somebody that has a house with a swimming pool and half a mile long wall around their garden and several houses abroad including one in California you really seem to have a downer on the British government and our system.

If you were paying all those taxes, i bet you would moan more too.
With all that real estate he must have a large expenditure.
There aren't many left who don't moan about this Government including it's own members so i'm sure Stargate2006 is entitled to his say.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely, in some respects, a 20mph Britain would be an improvement...

...in some towns & cities and large stretches of motorways, it would be a great achievement to reach this speed.

Bring back the man with the red flag and improve traffic flow Wink

Traffic light sequencing and other things need looking into as well as just the speed limits.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
so 'm sure Stargate2006 is entitled to his say.

And so am I!

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
classy56 wrote:
Meeeooow Rolling Eyes

When I win the lottery, I'll still feel entitled to have ago at Mad Ken and all our Rulers. :x

If you won the big one, Mad Ken etc would be the last thing on your mind Wink

To old to die young.
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm Sad

I still paying tax and council tax, too many tax is total rip off. Twisted Evil

A year ago, about 63,000 Britain peoples get out of England to move aboard to live in Austria which they had enough of the britain government rattle on too much.

I might not be here much longer as I feel want to get out of Britain because of this britain government moan too much want everybody's moneys a moneys pinch as guess wot where all the moneys gone to Bouncing , guess wonder why the britain government never tell the truth of hidden the billions pound somewhere and making all of us bankrupert to debt to death and britain government pulling a finger to all of us like this Taunt .

The three houses I live is own by my grandfather left a will to me and is a big repondingbile hard work to look after the house's and I don't often go there very much and left it to my brother and two sister's have the house. I born in England, have already travel all over the world since I was younger kids but not anymore now I just slow down a bit for now as my moneys to run dry out of paying too much tax here, England is the worse country of nanny state and police state bashing each other to hell.

Thank you GJF, I am entitled to say anything here and everyone's is right is entitled to say anything here of any problems all sort of things, etc. Rolling Eyes

Yes DennisN, you have the right to have a go at mad evil Ken and guess wot I heard about a year ago the guy from shareholder take 1 million pound from the london congesting charge moneys which is very stuiped thing to do of waste the moneys all gone of why the new road and pot hole repair not being done all over this britain country for ages. Burn In Hell

The road pricing is damage to your health and this government and mayor has already damage to all of us treat us like a crimmial but we are not crimmial are we here. Twisted Evil

This time, all the rest of the Newspapers will say on front page bigger picture said " the government, PM, Mayor, MP and Council, safety parthership is a crimmial scam con a moneys pinch thief"
jpkeates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: 20 MPH Reply with quote

Assuming that this is applied to local residential roads only...

Travelling 3 miles (which is about a normal residential road journey unless you're a milkman), would take nine minutes instead of 6.

Driving at 20 miles per hour for hours would be annoying, but 9 minutes isn't the end of the world. And the extra three minutes isn't a big issue.

And 20 mph is much more survivable as a pedestrian/cyclist hit by a car.

It also makes a number of alternate types of vehicles, like lower power use electrical cars (think a smaller passenger milk float) viable. The power consumed by moving at normal road car speeds and acceleration massively limits the range of an electrical vehicle. Moving slowly increases the range. Not to very useful, but possibly to quite useful in some circumstances.

I already travel on a couple of 20mph stretches of road, once you're going slower than you'd prefer, the difference isn't that much more noticeable.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headline in my local paper yesterday was "20mph speed limit outside every school".

If safety is the issue, the this makes sense...

...BUT a lot of parents on the 'school run' are seemingly amongst the worst drivers on the roads, so this is only part of the battle
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for the nanny state! Rolling Eyes
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local paper wrote:
The headline in my local paper yesterday was "20mph speed limit outside every school".

OK so 20 MPH outside all schools, speed cameras enforcing the limit. Great idea, because anyone who argues against speed cameras outside schools must be a child killer, surely! Well that's the knee jerk tabloid paper reaction anyway.

But if you think about it, it doesn't make much sense at all and it doesn't improve safety either.

Over 99% of the time the 20 MPH speed limit outside a school is not needed - kids don't hang around outside school gates, playing in the road. The schools are fenced off with high fences to keep them in and the pervs out. The other 1% of the time, when kids are actually coming and going, 20 MPH is too fast.

So here's my idea: Have a crossing patrol outside every school and cones marking out a 10 MPH speed limit and a no stopping area while the kids are coming and going. And forget putting up speed cameras which can only blindly measure speed which generally speaking is not the problem. Put a police person outside the school from time to time to enforce the rules about where you can stop, U turn etc and "encourage" better driving habits.

Of course this won't catch on because it costs money. A speed camera enforcing a 20 MPH limit outside a school will earn money photographing people in the middle of the night.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, interesting idea, Skippy.

In case you're interested, unless indicated differently, city speed limits are 35 mph here (often higher, like 40, 45, 50, but then there will be signs). That includes school zones. However, during such times when children are going to and coming from school, a yellow flashing light informs the driver that a 20 mph limit is in effect (there's also a sign stating '20mph when yellow light is flashing').
And if there's a schoolbus with the stop sign out and flashing its red lights, you are supposed to stop entirely.
Every now and then a police car, marked or unmarked, will lurk around the corner to enforce that, but it's hardly necessary.

Btw, no speed cameras in Texas, and just a few red light cameras on a trial basis in a few cities.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
Quote:
Btw, no speed cameras in Texas, and just a few red light cameras on a trial basis in a few cities.

You have to hand it to Governor Rick Perry, the banning of speed cameras State wide, he certainly lives in the real world.
Our politicians are only interested in themselves and rarely seem to have the people at heart, as we have only the one Government they are after more money wherever they can grab it, sometimes we are taxed several times on the same slice of money, speed cameras = money, so are here to stay, if anything increase.
I believe that in Texas they have even increased Highway speeds from 70mph to 80mph to quote from the state's director:
Quote:
to match how most motorists drive.

Quote:
And if there's a schoolbus with the stop sign out and flashing its red lights, you are supposed to stop entirely.

When i've been behind one of the school buses in the States, there are rarely any bad tempers and the traffic stops, maybe that would help here in UK but as a drastic change from what we are used to - so would make tempers fray.
However the UK take's it up, we should have 20mph speed limits outside schools at certain times and i don't think it is too far ahead.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: