Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
One thing, as there were absolutely no instructions, is the antenna section supposed to be vertical or horizontal for the best reception?????

As much of the antenna section as possible should be vertical.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guys

I will reposition slightly in the morning - at the moment I have the TomTom in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen with the cable running vertically about 1" away from the A pillar and then across the top - I will move it to the centre and then run the wire up the windscreen on the passenger side.

Then again, I might just run it straight up the centre of the windscreen!

I am impressed that it even picked up a station though as the old RDS-TMC attached to an amplified antenna wouldn't get anything at all until halfway doen the M66 just past Ramsbottom. If I can get a valid signal on the M66 before that I will be impressed.

Andy
swebb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early this morning, I drove 40 miles to Manchester Airport. I got the green circle for the majority of the journey. Sometimes I had the arrow sort of spinning - retuning I guess?

No traffic delays were reported - it was about 6.15 am and I didn't have any delays on the journey!

So, looking a lot better than before.
othilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only downside to it is the length of the cable,it`s OK if you mount your TomTom on the windscreen but if like me you have a Brodit clip in the centre of your dash then you only get about half the antenna on the screen,but it still works you just have the Black Oval hanging down the dash.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazysod wrote:
The only downside to it is the length of the cable,it`s OK if you mount your TomTom on the windscreen but if like me you have a Brodit clip in the centre of your dash then you only get about half the antenna on the screen,but it still works you just have the Black Oval hanging down the dash.

Maybe an extension cable will work, if I've understood the design correctly, from the connector to the plastic casing is a data/power cable, if so an extension cable will work? The antenna comes out of the opposite site and should not be affected by the cable extension.
othilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx,I was thinking the same,any ideas where to get one? Also I have found having the antenna horizontal along the bottom of the screen locks on quicker than vertically.
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinated by the times and dates on the posts.... Being posted Tomorrow !!!
A break in the time space continuum no doubt caused by the TDC !
othilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I`m missing something here but I thought today was actually Wed Oct 10th Confused
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK locked on fine for most of the journey but it took until roughly the same place on the M66 as the old receiver - by which time you are in the traffic jam and don't have a chance to get off the motorway.

So, as far as I am concerned no improvement.

I am intrigued that some people say vertical and others say horizontal - today it was vertical up the centre of the windscreen - I will try it horizontal across the top tommorow to see if it is any different.

Once near the M60 worked fine, but then again the old receiver did without connecting to an external antenna.

Andy
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am intrigued that some people say vertical and others say horizontal - today it was vertical up the centre of the windscreen - I will try it horizontal across the top tommorow to see if it is any different.

Andy I would be interested to hear if it works better.
Cheers
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re horizontal / vertical, I know that TV and radio signals are generally broadcast either horizontally or vertically polarised, depending upon the transmitter. Sutton Coldfield, for example, is horizontal whilst Malvern is vertical. The evidence is easy to see all around - look at television ariels on roofs. In this area, some people are tuned to Sutton Coldfield and their ariels lie horizontally and those pointing at Malvern are vertical.

I have no idea whether RDS signals are likewise polarised, but if they are, perhaps that is why the standard pattern for laying out the antenna contains both a vertical and a horizontal component - so that it can receive signals of both orientations.

My guess is that if you move mainly in an area served by a vertical transmitter and you have your antenna oriented primarily horizontally, you may not get such good reception.

Of course, this could be total codswallop ...... Wink
lsainsbury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine on Monday. After an initial disappointment of not getting any traffic data around where I live, today I had to go to London...

This is what I got:

Yep - that's traffic in London!

For the record - it's a v400.013

I think it just now depends on signal from Classic FM - I went from Newbury to London - had the yellow spinner nearly all the way to Reading but from then on it was virtually solid green.
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been doen to Comet to check if they have the new receivers or not and am REALLY confused now.

It does have a straight connector, can't say how many plastic lugs to hold it to the windscreen as the box was sealed. The ART no on the box was 9v00.013 and the PART no underneath the ART no was 5v00.105

I've no idea if this is new or not?

However the box said it was suitable for the 910,710,510 and ONE XL and you need to be running software 6.525 or later.

If it was a revised design, surely this would be updated?

Any thoughts/advice most welcome but I think I'll have to wait a bit until pther retailers are stocking them.
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsainsbury wrote:
I think it just now depends on signal from Classic FM - I went from Newbury to London - had the yellow spinner nearly all the way to Reading but from then on it was virtually solid green.

Any idea on what its like from Reading to Swindon?

Most of my driving is in the area from Chippenham/Swindon to Slough/London and I'd love to know what coverage the new receiver gets here.

Thanks
lsainsbury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzr1200 wrote:
Any idea on what its like from Reading to Swindon?

Most of my driving is in the area from Chippenham/Swindon to Slough/London and I'd love to know what coverage the new receiver gets here.

Thanks

No idea about Swindon - not been out that way yet...but Slough area was a big fat geeen one all the way into London town!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 19 of 30

Jump to: