Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - One Law for the Police, £60 and Three Points for Us?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

One Law for the Police, £60 and Three Points for Us?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: One Law for the Police, £60 and Three Points for Us? Reply with quote

See this article.
    Herts: 12,000 police flashed, 1 given a ticket
    Thames Valley 4000 flashed, no tickets.

etc etc

edited to make link simpler

Nao
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: One Law for the Police, £60 and Three Points for Us? Reply with quote

Naomi wrote:

Herts: 12,000 police flashed, 1 given a ticket
Thames Valley 4000 flashed, no tickets.
etc etc

Heard about this today....
Hopefully, a Traffic Officer (on the forum) may be able to shed a bit more light on this...)
I was more concerned to hear (Radio 5 Live today) that the Police (who have a thankless job, these days Sad ) have a diktat to persue 11 year olds for being naughty, instead of drink drivers. If I understand this correctly, an arrest for such an offence is laudable BUT doesn't count as a 'detection'. Again..perhaps an insider could help clarify this?? :D
Running Cameralert via Samsung S7 Edge
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be about the third thread I've seen on this subject. It's all a bit subjective, don't you think? Those bare statistics don't include more information that might be taken into consideration ...
How many miles of road in the police authority area?
How many cameras?
How many police cars?
How many miles driven by police cars?
I DID look to see how Mr Brunstrom's North Wales fared and that's what made me think - I did a drive or two up there not very long ago and was disappointed not to see a single police car until I was leaving the area (when I saw three in a layby having a conference, not "patrolling"). And I didn't recall seeing a great number of fixed cameras either. Makes you wonder why so few were "caught" at red lights or Gatsos - he favours mobiles doesn't he? It would make an interesting study to get similar figures for us ordinary drivers comparing how many are done by fixed and how many by mobiles.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
It would make an interesting study to get similar figures for us ordinary drivers comparing how many are done by fixed and how many by mobiles.

But to make this study work, you would need to take into account how many sites of each you had passed, as well as how many you had been "done" by.

Looks like driving with a sheet of paper glued to the dash and a pen between my teeth then in future.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
This will be about the third thread I've seen on this subject. It's all a bit subjective, don't you think? Those bare statistics don't include more information that might be taken into consideration ...
How many miles of road in the police authority area?
How many cameras?
How many police cars?
How many miles driven by police cars?
I DID look to see how Mr Brunstrom's North Wales fared and that's what made me think - I did a drive or two up there not very long ago and was disappointed not to see a single police car until I was leaving the area (when I saw three in a layby having a conference, not "patrolling"). And I didn't recall seeing a great number of fixed cameras either. Makes you wonder why so few were "caught" at red lights or Gatsos - he favours mobiles doesn't he? It would make an interesting study to get similar figures for us ordinary drivers comparing how many are done by fixed and how many by mobiles.

Can't disagree, hence why I didn't comment on the link, nor speed issue.
It's all statistics....of which 87% are made up.
The drunk driver issue (if confirmed) is far more sinister.
I have the distinct 'pleasure' of driving through North Wales on a regular basis. Notice how the posted limits change, with little rhyme nor reason??
Running Cameralert via Samsung S7 Edge
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN, the figures show a large discrepency between the number of offences detected and the number of convictions. That is the cause for concern.

If the Police are attending a genuine emergency then they need to be able to exceed the speed limit and disregard red lights, there is no debate about that. This accounts for 25% of the offences detected.

So the question is raised: What were the Police doing the other 75% of the time and should they be allowed to speed and run red lights without fear of prosecution if they are NOT on an emergency call?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
DennisN, the figures show a large discrepency between the number of offences detected and the number of convictions. That is the cause for concern.
I wasn't trying to detract from this Skippy, far from it. I agree - the discrepancy is enormous and needs to be questioned. But the figure of 25% doesn't ring true for me (although at 50% it would still be questionable) and I do always think of the old saying "Lies, Damned Lies and Statictics" and try to keep a bit of an open mind when there's a selection offered. And I sometimes feel some disquiet when the upholders of our law are singled out for attention.

999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear..... I wasn't aware of this thread and asked if I wished to comment....

There are exemptions under the Road Traffic Act 1988, for emergency vehicles to contravene speed limits and to contravene red traffic lights. These offences are specifically mentioned, although consideration had to be given to others..

The exemptions are for Police vehicles being used for a Police purpose. It is not specific to blue lights. Each case has to be looked at on it's own merits.

I can only speak for my Force, which is not mentioned on the list in this thread, as I work in Scotland and these figures are for England and Wales.

Where I work, if you go through a red light or past a speed camera in a traffic car (as I do) AND your blue lights are on, no questions are asked. If you are in a panda or other general purpose vehicle in these circumstances, it is customary to radio up to the control room and say, "in relation to incident....X...please show a camera activation at...Y..on the log.

If a camera is activated by any vehicle without blue lights, then a 'please explain' letter arrives. If you can give a justifiable and verifiable explanation, then it is binned. If you can't, it's three points like everyone else.

I will now hide and wait for the flack Embarassed

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for popping in. I hope you don't get any flak as your comments probably reflect what most of us expect to happen.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK. I've got broad shoulders. I appreciate theree will always be folk who are against us 'getting away' with anything, but in the bigger picture, the likelihood of us ignoring traffic laws just for the fun of it are pretty slim. If we went through a red light camera for example without any justifiable cause and killed someone, we would get treated far worse than a member of the public, losing our liberty, job, as well as being treated like a lepper. In the main, Police go out to work each day to try to do a good job. There's nothing I like better than catching the bad guys and if I have to exceed the speed limit or go through a red light to achieve that, then that's acceptable in my book. Obviously the value of our actions has to be weighed up as we go along.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
If a camera is activated by any vehicle without blue lights, then a 'please explain' letter arrives. If you can give a justifiable and verifiable explanation, then it is binned. If you can't, it's three points like everyone else.

In your opinion how easy would it be to tell a little white lie here. (I was covertly following a speeding fugative, who's reg I didn't see in time?) I'm sure if you were caught the temptation would be quite strong. Wink

Don't worry about the flack as most here are quite respectful. Puns and wise cracks, well you're on your own! Smile

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, your actions have to justifiable and verifiable. So just saying something off the top of your head won't wash. Yes I'm sure with help, you could blag your way through, but we are big enough and sensible enough (in the main) to value our careers and our liberty enough not to do anything so silly.

A famous case in Scotland, and I won't mention any names, was a traffic officer who went from one end of his division to the other to pick up some party revellers and take them home, having been approached by a supervisor, and asked to do so. He then foolishly ignored speed cameras. He got an 18 month ban and a huge fine for his trouble together with internal discipline. The supervisor also got disciplined.

Worth it ? Don't think so.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
We don't do flack here for Scotsmen - we think they're wonderful and if they also happen to be policemen, they're doubly wonderful. If they are also sensible like you, the world's their oyster. But if you see Mostdom in your travels, chuck him in the clink house please, for snitching signature ideas from the rest of us. 8)

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When our local paper ran this story a short while ago, it mentioned re-training for many drivers who 'escaped' prosecution.

Unfortunately, the national figures don't appear to reflect this and appear to indicate that a few drivers get prosecuted, whilst the rest don't receive any punishment or further action - ie, black and white

If our local journalists got their facts right for Hampshire, then there seem to be a few shades of grey missing from the national picture - ie disciplinary measures outwith the "ticket or no ticket" argument.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...But if you see Mostdom in your travels, chuck him in the clink house please, for snitching signature ideas from the rest of us...

Oh, you're in trouble now! Just wait and see what'll happen when your new freind finds out what you've been doing, You'll be in the Famous Number Two! Confused

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: