Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Binatone on Shortlist for ''Most Sexist Press Release''
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Binatone on Shortlist for ''Most Sexist Press Release''

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Binatone on Shortlist for ''Most Sexist Press Release'' Reply with quote

Women are unable to use technology unless it is guaranteed not to break their nails, can fit in their handbag and is available in pink. While I would disagree 100% with the preceding statement, Binatone appear to view it as gospel - below are some extracts from their latest press release:

"Introducing the perfect sat nav for women... A choice of colours, suitable for a handbag and nail friendly"

"So far the market for satellite navigation is completely dominated by men and it’s time women caught on to this extremely useful technology."

"To encourage women ... Binatone has introduced the perfect system: the Carrera S350 is small and neat and slips easily into a handbag"

"it's really simple to use"

"comes with a selection of different coloured casings which can be chopped and changed to match the mood of the day"

"Getting up and running with this sat nav is effortless, particularly for women "

"and for those of you with nails to protect, there is even a helpful stylus (a wand for pressing the screen)."

"a great way ... for women to start confidently following door to door directions when driving alone."

As well as 2D and 3D mapping, full UK postcode search and a choice of male or female voices, the Carrera S350 features mp3 / mp4 player, POIs, Speed Camera data and photo viewer. The device is based on Nokia Gate5 software and NavTeq maps (UK & Ireland) and "at a suggested retail price of only £119.99 from Argos" you would probably be better off with a TomTom One or Garmin Nuvi200 for less of you hard-earned cash. Oh, and the latter is also available in pink!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since spoken to the PR agency who assure me that the press release was meant to be tongue in cheek; playing on the (incorrect) assumption that women are no good with technology. They stand by their original statement that it's practically impossible to use a touch-screen with long nails - I'm unable to comment on that one!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strange statement, I'd though long nails made selecting small dialogue boxes, on screen keyboards etc easier? Indeed there is a plastic fingernail stylus accessory you can buy which slips on the end of a finger for this very purpose!

http://www.stingerstylus.com/
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bite my nails so I can't be any help there either, and Pink really isn't my colour.

Wasn't it BoPeep that likes these Girly Girly Gismos!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urm, no! Bo Peep likes the manly toys, grrrr. (Unless they are in purple, of course.)

I actually have long nails and find them quite useful on my Nintendo DS when I can't be bothered to get the stylus out, so I totally disagree with the statement that long nails are a hinderance when using touch screens.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
Urm, no! Bo Peep likes the manly toys, grrrr. (Unless they are in purple, of course.)

My mistake! Very Happy

Bo Peep wrote:
I actually have long nails and find them quite useful on my Nintendo DS...

Nintendo DS (White, Black, or Pink?)

I'll have to stop biting my nails as my stabbing the screen with my stubby didgits only puts greasy finger prints all over it! Sad

p.s. iPhones don't work with nails or styluses, so apple are making seriously un girly devices these days.

BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, turning the fiddly little wheel on my new design iPOD Nano is not the easiest thing in the world with long nails, and neither is texting. Confused

I have to admit, I don't know many of my friends who use SatNavs unless they are their boyfriends/husbands'. I am not entirely sure that this press release would inspire many of them to go out and buy them, either!

Regards,

Bo Peep.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Wasn't it BoPeep that likes these Girly Girly Gismos!

erm... no... that would probably be me Wink

there's nowt wrong with pink! for example the wifes pink nuvi20 is a great piece of kits (shame the sucker mount is in black) and this is THE coolest drum kit ever: http://jalapenodrums.co.uk/gallery/kits/kit_pink.jpg (sorry, off topic...)

regarding women and sat nav's - it was the mrs who first said we should get one!! i was happy with paper maps at the time but i wouldn't go back now...

MaFt
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll forgive the pink drum kit because it does look cool and the pop idustry is like that.
But I am struggling with a pink nuvi in your fiesta. Next you'll be telling me it goes with the fluffy dice and beaded seat covers. Wink

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the drum kit, but the drummer sure aint no Phil Collins. More hair and stuff!!!!! and much better looking than the gorilla.
See what you've started.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
But I am struggling with a pink nuvi in your fiesta. Next you'll be telling me it goes with the fluffy dice and beaded seat covers. Wink

no dice or bead covers - in fat the pink nuvi has yet to see the inside of my fiesta... it's hardly ever out of the mrs' possession...

MaFt
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't like Phil Colins and the girl isnt that inspiring so I think I would be left with the Gorilla. Shocked

I would have thought the head of Marketing at Binatone would have read the press release before it went out and realised it was likely to cause offence - I mean you know how sensitive you girlies get Wink

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: