Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ZyCast SG-289 Bluetooth GPS with LCD Display And Datalogger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ZyCast SG-289 Bluetooth GPS with LCD Display And Datalogger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swim1swim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: USB 1 or 2? Reply with quote

Is anyone connecting and charging to this unit with USB 1?
My computer is five years old and does not have the newer high speed USB port.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can charge from USB1 ports with no problem.
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Does only half of what it says on the Box Reply with quote

I have just got one of these devices on the strength of the review. I was looking for a logging device to use whilst undergoing flying training which could also double as a bluetooth device to use with TomTom mobile in the car and replace my old Leadtek Unit.

As far as the logging part goes, this unit is superb (see results below), but in my experience, the Bluetooth won't usefully connect with either my Nokia N70 or my HP Pavilion ZD8000 laptop. The N70 sees it's there but says it's unable to pair.

The Laptop seems to pair but cannot see any services on the device and can't recognise what it is...

Does anyone know what this means? The laptop's BT hardware is Broadcom

Connecting to the device by USB also appears to be a big no-no, a USB to Serial driver is suplied on the CD that comes with the unit, the driver appears to install ok albeit with some messages of very bad English Grammar.
Connecting the USB to the GPS gives a constantly repeating "USB Device not recognised" error message. Clicking on that message as prompted to help solve the problem, no devices or their locations are seen! This also causes the charging to switch on and off..Wondering if it was just the cable I tried another but that resulted in the same problem.

This is particularly worrying as if all the problems mentioned in this thread are of a possible firmware update then the obvious way of installing an update is via USB which also isn't working Sad

My unit on powering on shows a Firmware version of 20070626 which if the date is anything to go by is possibly a later version than the one. reviewed by Darren earlier in the year?

Back to the bit that works! Here is a datalog of some circuit flying I did this morning...

Vic
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: The plot thickens Reply with quote

As an addition to the above, I have just dusted off my old Nokia 6600 and attempted to pair the device with that. It connected straight away! Seems the unit can only connect to older Bluetooth devices.

This needs to be sorted.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an issue connecting, works with my n73, a MacBook, a dell PC Laptop and a WM6 PocketPC so its not older devices.

Can you possibly reduce the resolution of your image? 400 pixels is our forum limit as per our Forum Rules.
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I've never had an issue connecting, works with my n73, a MacBook, a dell PC Laptop and a WM6 PocketPC so its not older devices.

Can you possibly reduce the resolution of your image? 400 pixels is our forum limit as per our Forum Rules.

Done.

Interesting that yours will connect to the N73 and mine won't connect to my N70 which are both Bluetooth 2.0 devices where mine will pair with my Nokia 6600 which is BT 1.1

What firmware version is your SG-289 Darren?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic wrote:
What firmware version is your SG-289 Darren?

20070517, I have it paired with my MacBook Pro which is Bluetooth 2.0+EDR.
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it with my wifes Samsung G900 which is BT 2.0 and it pairs and sees the device as a serial port!

Still no joy with the 2 year old laptop (which sees the device, doesn't ask for a passcode and can't see any services on it) or the N70 which basically does the same.

think the problem with the devices that don't connect are that the passcode part just isn't being initiated.

Very weird Confused
JSK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, my first post here, but been lurking and learning for some time Very Happy .
OK, so this device is still the only unit that has a specification that suits me perfectly, but several problems reported here have held me back. I am off on a roadtrip to the USA soon and a datalogger is now a real requirement.
Can I just ask for people's experiences using this GPS unit over the past few months?, have people sorted out the bluetooth problems?, is the battery life OK, is the manufactures website ever going to be updated!! Rolling Eyes
Many thanks
John
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

As a datalogger, the SG-289 is superb and serves me well for what I need. The battery life is excellent, I have left the unit on for 14 hours and it has been still going.

As for the Bluetooth pairing I have now got it succesfully paired with my HP laptop by completely removing and reinstalling the drivers but never got it to pair with my Nokia N70. I have recently upgraded to an N95 and that won't pair either which is very frustrating as is the manufacturers total lack of support (and a website that was last updated in 2005!).

The vendor has been very helpful and is aware of these problems with Nokia phones and suggested that I returned the unit for a full refund which I declined as it really is the only device about with the autonomous logging to SD and display at the price.

As a datalogger, great. As a Bluetooth device to be paired with most N Series Phones, near useless.

Vic

Last edited by Vic on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic wrote:
As a datalogger, great. As a Bluetooth device, near useless.

I have to disagree with that. I accept from your evidence that there is an issue with Nokia (or some Nokia) devices.

However I have had no issue pairing with a MacBook, a Dell laptop, two different PocketPC's and a Sony Vaio. In fact I have had no issue pairing with any device I have that I might wish to use it with.

I accept that if you wish to use it with a Nokia then it may be an issue but it is a little unfair to say that it is useless as a BT device simply because of that.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a little hasty there! I have edited my summation.

Maybe the manufacturer will provide a fix but I don't hold out much hope.

Vic
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tend to agree. The margins and pace of progress on these devices nowadays preclude any ongoing support and updates on any bit the most profitable and most common devices. The risk of 'bricking' a device with an update and the costs of any support necessary make it unviable.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add that my 289 paired first time with my Nokia N80 and works well with TT6 on same device. It really is an excellent datalogger.
Vic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: There's no 'cry' smilie! Reply with quote

Phil, what firmware version is yours?

Mine is 20070626

Vic

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: