Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ZyCast SG-289 Bluetooth GPS with LCD Display And Datalogger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ZyCast SG-289 Bluetooth GPS with LCD Display And Datalogger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fedge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the SG-289 have a port for an external antenna?
Is there anyone who sells this unit without an actual SD card included (I have enough of those around I don't need another)?
Also, any word if there will be a higher capacity battery for sale as an accessory?

The Zycast website is down...

thanks,
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedge wrote:
Does the SG-289 have a port for an external antenna?

No
Quote:
Is there anyone who sells this unit without an actual SD card included (I have enough of those around I don't need another)?

There is only one UK retailer (your profile does not indicate where you are located) so you'd have to discuss that with them, they may consider discounting the cost of the card, who knows!
Quote:
Also, any word if there will be a higher capacity battery for sale as an accessory?

No but you could use a battery extender connected to the USB Port.
fedge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed in my searches that there are folks selling an external antenna for other Zycast USB models. Has anyone figured out how to mate an external antenna to the mini-USB port of devices like these?

I am in California...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry, I don't know who has been appointed in the US.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to wire up an external antenna via USB, firstly the antenna connections aren't available via USB and secondly the frequencies are such that USB would be a very poor solution as an antenna connector.
fnene
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Update rate Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
fnene wrote:
Any of you could tell me the Update rate ? 1Hz or more?

For the Bluetooth GPS or the Datalogger?

For the Datalogger? So far I have not found any datalogger with update rate higher then 1hz. I am looking for one that update at 5 or 10hz.

Do you know of any?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope not in cosumer devices. Plenty in pro devices such as 0-60 timers etc for racing. But they are thousands of pounds each.
fladmas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: doesn't charge Reply with quote

Well bought the sg-289 and it really does work like a charm, well it did until it ran short of juice. My problem is that it doesn't seam to want to charge the battery. It keeps flashing the battery light instead of lighting continuously. Anybody tried the same, or is it just a return to sender?

thanks
Fladmas
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, mine's still working (and charging). I charge mine from a spare USB port for convenience. Could it be the charger?

Is the battery LED flashing RED or Green?
fladmas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its flashing green. It works fine directly of the cigarette lighter plug in the car only it doesn't seem to charge.

/Fladmas
SingingDwarf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merijn wrote:
Does anyone know other bluetooth GPS receivers with a datalogger? I want to buy one for my Windows Mobile phone with TomTom.

Have you seen the Wintec WBT-201? This site ships internationally from the US. 131k waypoint logging capacity and 15hrs battery life without Bluetooth enabled (12hrs with) according to the manufacturer.

Singing Dwarf
fladmas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: SG-289 not charging Reply with quote

Well I went on vacation with my "faulty" SG-289 in the thought that I would just keep it running directly off the car cigarette plug. Two days into the vacation I though lost the USB to USBmini cable that is used to charge the GPS. Getting another cable from my "bag of electronics" i found that it began charging.
So if anybody else gets a odd charging behaviour on their SG-289, try changing the USB cable.

Using the SG-289 more intensively now, I have though found a couple of BIG points of irritation with this receiver. The buttons on top of the receiver inevitably gets pushed while it is in your pocket. This results in all manor of odd loggings and even quite a lot of lost loggings. I see this as a mayor drawback and I am now trying to make some makeshift button cap. If this doesn't work I think I will remove the buttons completely or just simply chuck the unit and buy something else.

Another big problem for me is that it by default is set to Static navigation which renders it just about useless for for instance Geocaching. If somebody knows of a fail-safe way of changing this I would be pleased to know. And by fail-safe I am thinking of the risk of loosing the unit due to baud rates and bluetooth trouble as seen of quite a lot of other bluetooth SIRF receivers.

So right now I am not completely convinced as to if this GPS does the job or just falls short, but when I know, Ill let you know.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SG-289 not charging Reply with quote

fladmas wrote:
Another big problem for me is that it by default is set to Static navigation which renders it just about useless for for instance Geocaching. If somebody knows of a fail-safe way of changing this I would be pleased to know. And by fail-safe I am thinking of the risk of loosing the unit due to baud rates and bluetooth trouble as seen of quite a lot of other bluetooth SIRF receivers.

Had the same problem with my SG-288 (equivalent model without data logging).
I've found that the Memory Map SiRF Setup utility works reliably for me on my iPaq 2210 running Windows Mobile 2003 with bluetooth connection to the GPS:
http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index.php?showtopic=3048
In my case I connect from the utility on bluetooth COM8 at 19200 baud directly to the GPS. (Unlike for all other apps where I go via GPS Gate.) I've done it a couple of a dozen times without any problems.
[Historical note: Within minutes of opening my shiny new package I'd spotted the same problem, tried to fix it and failed using another utility called SirfTech (which doubtless works fine, but not in my hands), and had a temporarily useless new GPS. After a couple of hours of installing other stuff and trying to talk to the GPS without success I gave up, turned it off, removed the regular battery and waited for the internal backup battery to discharge so the unit would reset. After 5 days I thought "that should do it", turned it on and ... it was still stuffed - quite some internal backup! In my frustration I then opened it up, removed the internal backup battery rather permanently, closed it up and fitted the regular battery, and hey presto it reset itself and ran fine. Bang went the warranty (so don't do this at home), but it's been working fine for me ever since as it's plugged into the car most of the time, and even after a cold restart it gets a fix faster than I'm ready to move off. So the moral is, I can guarantee that the MM utility works for me, but can't make any promises for you and have clearly outlined above what a hassle it may be if it doesn't. Hope this helps.]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SG-289 not charging Reply with quote

fladmas wrote:
Using the SG-289 more intensively now, I have though found a couple of BIG points of irritation with this receiver. The buttons on top of the receiver inevitably gets pushed while it is in your pocket. This results in all manor of odd loggings and even quite a lot of lost loggings. I see this as a mayor drawback and I am now trying to make some makeshift button cap. If this doesn't work I think I will remove the buttons completely or just simply chuck the unit and buy something else.

Interesting, I've never had a problem having carried it in my pocket on many occasions but I can see how if this does occur then it is an issue.
Quote:

My unit had Static Nav disabled out of the box, I'll investigate what solutions there are although from past experience, none are fail-safe.
fladmas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SG-289 not charging Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
I've found that the Memory Map SiRF Setup utility works reliably for me on my iPaq 2210 running Windows Mobile 2003 with bluetooth connection to the GPS

Thank you Barryd, that did the trick. After using the Memory Map utility it does actually seem pretty fail safe.

Now all I need to figure out is how to fix my button-problem.

Apart from that my unit is working perfectly and is not going to the junk yard. I have now come to like it too much for that.
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Just to clarify some points here, the SG-289 can be configured for one press POI record rather than continuous datalogging and I wouldn't rate the MTK chipset as better, it's an equivalent to the SiRFStarIII.

Is that an either or option as opposed to being able to log single point whilst in continious tracking mode ie I wish to geotag photo position whilst on car journey that I wish to record for openstreets project

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: