Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 21% saying their father drove too fast.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

21% saying their father drove too fast.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: 21% saying their father drove too fast. Reply with quote

In the DAILY MAIL today a new survey on parents driving - researched amongst youngsters.

Is this web site mainly dominated by us males trying to curb our speeding habits, or are there just as many women here too?

Also interesting to see that 47% of children felt unsafe when mum drives, against only 39% when dad does.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Anybody care to disagree ? Reply with quote

Interesting.........no doubt one or two contributions will be forthcoming from the recently closed down 'Mobile Database' thread.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 21% saying their father drove too fast. Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
In the DAILY MAIL today a new survey on parents driving - researched amongst youngsters.

Is this web site mainly dominated by us males trying to curb our speeding habits, or are there just as many women here too?

Also interesting to see that 47% of children felt unsafe when mum drives, against only 39% when dad does.

I have noticed on my journeys that women tend to take more unnecessary risks while driving, and I think they are oblivious to those risks, whilst males may take the same risks at times, they appear to calculate them first.

This is of course only in my opinion.

To old to die young.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well done GJF. Looks like you've reopened the ever on going him/her driving debate.

Quick get the kleenex out! Twisted Evil

I wager at least 9 pages of posts before it is locked. :D

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit that made me sit up was this
Quote:
Robin Cummins, road safety consultant for the British School of Motoring, said that children can subconsciously copy their parents’ bad driving habits when they become adults
I wish my daughter would copy mine (she says I drive too carefully!!!). She scares the poo out of me, so I always decline a lift from her! 8 pages to go.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 21% saying their father drove too fast. Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
I have noticed on my journeys that women tend to take more unnecessary risks while driving, and I think they are oblivious to those risks, whilst males may take the same risks at times, they appear to calculate them first.

This is of course only in my opinion.

You could be right.

My thoughts on this, though, are that women often tend not to be so good at spatial awareness and may therefore not be totally aware of the 'risk' they're taking. Men, on the other hand have a greater sense of spatial awareness and usually calculate the risk before committing to the manouvre.

Having said that, though, there are people of both sexes who don't appear to have any idea what's happening beyond the front of the bonnet of their own car!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 21% saying their father drove too fast. Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
My thoughts on this, though, are that women often tend not to be so good at spatial awareness and may therefore not be totally aware of the 'risk' they're taking. Men, on the other hand have a greater sense of spatial awareness and usually calculate the risk before committing to the manouvre.

Having said that, though, there are people of both sexes who don't appear to have any idea what's happening beyond the front of the bonnet of their own car!!

I have a simple rule - during the school run, keep well away from any vehicle containing kids. Driven by male or female, no matter - the driver has a higher priority for the kids than the roads and he/she will mow you down whilst dealing with whatever child "emergency" is happening inside the car. Natural parental reaction.

Just wait til Bo Peep finds this thread!

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 21% saying their father drove too fast. Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

I don't think there is enough ying & yang here.

Men have a good sense of spatial awareness, and calculate the risks, but often come to the wrong conclutions, which is to floor it an' 'ope for the best! Women can stuggle with spatial awareness, also caculate the risks, choose a cautious approch, but then crashed into from all directions.
Mostly by men as this approch is never calculated into their risk.

I think we need Anita in on this. Where's Anita?

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 21% saying their father drove too fast. Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
She may be struggling to get onto the Forums. :D

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55850

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 21% saying their father drove too fast. Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:

I don't think there is enough ying & yang here.

Ho Ho, and so farewell from my upstairs computer Me Me Me I'm going downstairs now to follow this up from my super new expensive MacBook Pro17. I just can't wait for Anita and Bo Peep to come and get you two - seems like there was no need for me to start a thread to knock lumps out ot you. Twisted Evil

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 21% saying their father drove too fast. Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...seems like there was no need for me to start a thread to knock lumps out ot you.

Now now, this fence aint big enough for the both of us, we all noticed your softly softly approach to this thread. Oh and by the way, why arn't you driving your white van again! You know the one with the inverted Starsky stripe down the side. Laughing

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a new one every two years, so the go-faster stripe one went to the great pasture 15 months ago. The current one has the brand spanking new passenger window (and I, after that and a 72,000 mile service, have £960 less than I had last week - oh and a bunch of CDs too).

We know why Anita's missing the fun, but Bo Peep's taking a long time - does anybody know if she's away on holiday?

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 21% saying their father drove too fast. Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
mostdom wrote:
She may be struggling to get onto the Forums. :D

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55850

No, I'm getting onto the forums OK now. Don't tell Darren, but I found a couple of strange things happening with Sunbelt, so re-installed ZoneAlarm and it's working fine now, without having to follow your suggestions, Richard. But I've bookmarked the thread for future reference. :D

I know when the odds are against me (men must outnumber women by about 99-1 here) so decided to sit back and let you guys have your fun.

I think there are good and bad drivers of both sexes, but some women only drive for the school run and shopping, and don't have the experience of most men, so can be indecisive and slow. But young new female drivers seem to be acquiring the same attitude as young new male drivers, and over estimate their capabilities.

I, of course, am a perfect driver. Supreme Angel Wink
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, c'mon Anita - knock lumps out of them.

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Aw, c'mon Anita - knock lumps out of them.

Nah! Too tired at the moment, having spent all day trying to coax reluctant wallpaper off the walls without taking all the plaster with it. Sad (Any of you guys good at plastering and fancy a trip to sunny Sussex?)

Maybe when I come back to this thread tomorrow I'll be feeling more confrontational! Twisted Evil
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: