Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 910 falls apart. Customer Service refuse to help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 910 falls apart. Customer Service refuse to help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kleen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 910 falls apart. Customer Service refuse to help Reply with quote

Wanted to take the opportunity to share sorry tale of TomTom's customer service. I am a BIG fan of their products, but unfortunately my latest TomTom (the 3rd I have owned) has literally fallen apart - due to the dodgy new mounting bracket. This didn't put me off, thought it would be nice and simple to get TomTom to put the matter right. But oh no, far from it. I've reproduced the thread below (starts with first mail at the bottom, most recent at the top).

Do TomTom always treat their customers so shabbily when they need help?

My latest mail to TomTom:
"I have not "lost the rubber grommit off the back of the TomTom", the Rubber Gromit (which judging by the glue that remains on the unit should have been securely attached) fell off when attempting to remove the unit from the docking station. As such the unit has fallen apart during routine use due to a manufacturing defect or design fault. Had this not been the case, then the grommit would not have fallen off during attempts to remove the unit from the docking station.

I need this issue resolving, as currently the unit no longer sits securely in it's mounting bracket, keeps cutting out on handsfree mode (as I assume the contacts no longer make good contact) and under consumer law can no longer be considered "fit for purpose".

If the TomTom repair centre will not repair the unit, then I assume the only other actions that can be taken are replacement of the entire unit or a refund. Please advise which of these TomTom are prepared to offer and how I go about returning the unit.

Again may I please politely point out that I am a customer and am requesting help with a faulty product that I bought from your company. Simply saying "Sorry we can't help" is not only extremely poor customer service, but is denying me statutory rights under consumer law.

I look forward to a response offering me a practical solution."

Their Response:
"I'm very sorry that we are not able to be of further assistance. You have lost the rubber grommit off the back of the TomTom. This is not a fault with the unit. We do not have rubber gormmits to send out and the repair centre will not add a rubber grommit onto a unit if it comes in for repair.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

My Follow Up:
"Thank you but that has to be the worst example of "support" I have come across.

May I politely point out that I am a customer, and have chosen to spend a considerable amount of money on a product made by your company. This product (just a few weeks old) has literally fallen apart, and I am requesting assistance in repairing it!

Unless I receive a slightly more helpful response I will have little choice but to take this matter up immediately with your companies senior management, as well as making a claim via my credit card company for goods unfit for purpose."

Initial Response from TomTom:
"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

I regret to inform you that we do not have a spare rubber grommits to send out. We are also not able to book a device in for repair for having lost it's grommit.

With Best Regards

Initial Request:
"Hello

My TomTom Go 910 (fantastic piece of kit apart from the AWFUL mounting solution) has had a bit drop off. At the bottom of the unit there is a small piece of rubber attached, which stops it vibrated when mounted in the really awkward new mounting cradle. Well - the rubber bit dropped off and has disappeared down the back of my cars dashboard :-(

I dont really want to return the whole unit because of such a small fault. Is there any way you could just send me a replacement part?

Hope you can help."
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not alone with the original problem...
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=51801
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34266
http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9724

That last one was the one I was looking for. It implies that TomTom DO send them out, but they have run out of them.
I'm afraid that their first-line "customer service" people often turn what should be "Really sorry, we don't have any at the moment" into "we don't have them, go away". I don't know if it is in the translation, but they come across as totally condescending and unhelpful, even when they are not.
Noman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a big store that sell Tomtom in sweden the staff tell jokes about tomtom support. When I wanted to buy a 910 they said "don't expect any help from tomtom"

I bought the 910 anyway with the store covering the 1st year if something goes wrong, but I have got such total unsupportive, "cold" standard replies to the questions I have asked to tomtom since I first baught their program in 2003 that my next machine going to be of another brand.

You got my greatest sympathies.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this the rubber grommit that the wise old techies here advised people to TAKE OUT in order to solve the problem of the x10 series disconnecting intermittently whilst driving? After I carefully reattached mine repeatedly, it eventually fell out for the umpteenth time and I gave up on it. I think it's still in my glove box (unless it got nicked along with my brass band CD last weekend).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it to kleen, quick!
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Customer Services have been informed, the action to rectify the problem is being taken
kleen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: A solution from TomTom Reply with quote

Always happy to post the positives as well as the negatives. Got this email today from TomTom customer support:

"We apologize for our previous miscommunication. In fact, we do have these "rubber docking enablers" available and can provide you with a replacement. This miscommunication was caused by an internal misunderstanding, for which we apologize.

Two "rubber docking enablers" are on their way to you today. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

With Best Regards

Thanks everyone for the help here. Great forum!
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, don't muck with Eldar (sorry, still can't spell properly) Wink

Last edited by topref on Tue May 22, 2007 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Isn't this the rubber grommit that the wise old techies here advised people to TAKE OUT in order to solve the problem of the x10 series disconnecting intermittently whilst driving? After I carefully reattached mine repeatedly, it eventually fell out for the umpteenth time and I gave up on it. I think it's still in my glove box (unless it got nicked along with my brass band CD last weekend).

Yup, removed mine before it fell off and have had no issues with it.
kleen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Yes - thanks Eldar. Of course a pity that it took that to get them TomTom to help, but all's well that end well!
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot take the credit - it should go to the Vice President (Support) of TomTom - he is always very helpful and as you can see if he is aware of a problem, it gets sorted. In this particular case the front line support people were not aware that these "grommits" were in stock and could be sent to the customers. The correct name for this part is the "rubber docking enabler" (as soon as we find out who in TomTom came up with this name, he or she will receive our Technical Innuendo of the Year Award).
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear it is being sorted for you...However if you fall under English law your contract is with the supplier not the manufacturer, so threatening to take it up with the credit card company has got a much effect as shouting at the stars to make them move...Just a little bit of advice for the next consumer battle Smile Unfortunately we need to have to many battles, it would be nice when a company just first time around gets it right....
kleen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, understood. Though ultimately i'm assuming when you make a claim with a credit card company they will look for redress from the supplier. If this happened, then I guess the supplier would look for redress from the manufacturer?

Or do the credit card companies just absorb the cost of such claims and take it from their profits?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad this all worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

Eldar - Do you know if this "Vice President (Support)" is aware of how often his first-line employees seem to produce replies like this, abrupt, insulting or condescending and often downright wrong? Does he ever read forums like this one?
mbriody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my first contact with support has been quite positive.

I got a new 910 a couple of weeks ago as an insurance replacement. It immediately "drooped" on first use. Also the power lead to the docking connector is so loose, it just will not stay in.

I phoned support and was told to fax details to them along with proof of purchase. I did this and today got an email apologising for the delay in their response (about a week) and asking me to fill in my address online, which I did.

They have now confirmed that they will be sending a replacement mount, dock and docking power supply within the next 5 days.

The initial guy on the phone was a bit abrupt but overall a pretty good experience.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: