Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman N40i NavPix SatNav review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman N40i NavPix SatNav review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Navman N40i NavPix SatNav review Reply with quote

The satnav market is awash with lots of navigation systems with all sorts of bells and whistles in an attempt to find a differentiator. Well last year Navman joined this group by introducing NavPix.

NavPix is a technology effectively making POIs from digital pictures. This is fine, but how do 'normal' people make POI images? There are actually a number of way as Navman have recognised that there must be an easy way of creating them, but by far the easiest is to use one of the new range of Navman Satnav systems.

All of the current Navman satnavs can use NavPix POIs, but only the new "i" series can create them. This review looks at the Navman N40i. Retailing at £259 it is a mid range system.

To find out what we think of the new systems and watch a short video review or click here to read the full review...
fordfocus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking around, these are some of the "bolt on" goodies that work with the N40i:

Navman N Series Remote Control:

The ideal companion for your Navman is this palm-sized remote control. Plan and enter your route from any angle and in the comfort of your driving seat. Using this long-range IR (Infra-Red) connection you can have full control of your navigation system. The remote is slimline, lightweight and compact. Battery included.

T1 TMC TRAFFIC PACK:

The Traffic Message Channel (TMC) broadcasts real-time traffic and weather information via the FM Radio Data System (RDS). FM radio stations transmit traffic information updates on a regular cycle, particularly around rush hours, with up to hundreds of events broadcasted to TMC receivers. Your T1 will decode these events and send them to your iCN, which will then display the various events and give you options on how to avoid traffic congestion.

Navman N40i - Mini MCX External GPS Antenna:

Mini MCX external GPS antenna for your Navman N40i navigation systems boosts the GPS signal you receive and limits interference from heated windshields and bad weather.

This certainly seems a well thought out piece of kit, the addition of the remote is a nice touch and I presume the unit is easy to use, although your article did not go into too much detail regarding that.
I'm not too sure about the picture POI's, perhaps a gimmick that you will tire of quickly?
Overall, seems a nice tool and I may just cancel my Ipaq rx5720 order and grab one of these instead.

Last edited by fordfocus on Thu May 17, 2007 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Navpix is like any new technology... you're never REALLY sure if you actually need it. It will of course differ from person to person. 7 years ago, did we REALLY need sat nav's? Once you try one out for the first time, you realise how good and useful it can actually be. The same with txt messaging, cameras on phones, etc, etc, etc. I guess the real test is starting to use it, then seeing if you can live your life without it?
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great idea, with a huge amount of potential, however, the "device side" functionality is a very small part of the concept. The success or failure will depend entirely on the Server side experience- ease of creation and distribution of NavPix and compatability with other, popular, geo-referenced image formats (Google Earth). Compatability with other SatNav systems is crtical- Navman should be distributing a TomTom Plugin to support NavPix, they should be getting Mitac, Garmin and all the other to support the concept and format. They should be including Navpix in free upgrades to there older products, so they can at least use a Navpix if not create one.

If Navman want this to take off, they need people to be able to send a Navpix to anyone who has a Nav device, regardless of brand, and know that person can make use of it.

This is to Navigation what MP3's are to music. With MP3's, nothing really happened for the masses until Apple made it easy and cool. After that, the only MP3 player was an iPod.

Is Navman the Apple of the Navigation world - I personally don't think they have what it takes. I think they are more like the early MP3 hardware manufacturers, who thought that just getting it going was good enough. Navman will prove, or not, the concept, someone else (TT perhaps) will finish it.
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..Just a quick note to say that halfords are clearing out the N40i at £169 which in a very competitive sector of the pnd market I think is damn good value. Check your local branch as mine only had 4 left.
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£169 is a good deal. Might sell my ICN 530 and get one Smile
Home 2.7.3.1894
steviebilbo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Navman N40i review - Battery life comments Reply with quote

Hi guys, I used my N40i in my motorcycle tank top bag with an audio jack to travel from Hampshire to Cornwall.

It was a cold (10-12 deg C) Sunday evening and I started the journey with a fully charged battery. The system screen was set to minimum brightness.

The unit performed very satisfactorily and after almost 5 hours of use it still had 16% battery life left.

I have had similar results in a truck but the temperature difference was marked (18-20 deg). I mention the temp as it does affect the battery life markedly.

Not a bad result when you consider my Minidisc with 2 new duracell AA batteries just dies in cold weather after 30 mins unless I still it under my armpit inside my motorcycle jacket!
thegreatroberto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the N20.
OK.s o you can't take a pic.But as you need to be there to take a pic, it's already stored in "recents" . Now just store it as a fav.

If you need to go somewhere with a navpix, just download from the web site.

I've just saved you £40 !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: