Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - assessing maps on microSD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

assessing maps on microSD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkingscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: assessing maps on microSD Reply with quote

Hi

I have the rx1950, WM 5 with tomtom 6 using the SDG-810 SDIO GPS card.
The set up works well but the route planning (finding postcodes and generating the route) is desperately slow.
Should it be? It seemed to install ok and runs well once its going and I don't have anything else installed / running on the PDA.

John Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Welcome to the forum. The PDA you are using is right on the bottom limit in terms of processor power (300MHz) also the data transfer between the PDA and SD card could be slower than normal due to the interface between the GPS unit and the memory card installed within it, speed of the actual memory card might be an issue further compounding your problem.

As a test how long does it take to plan the following route:

Use AtoB Advanced Planning for this.

Set departure point as FY43NN house number 95.
Set destination point as PR41AX house number 33.

Use fastest route as the planning option, how long does this take?
- Mike
jkingscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: ages... Reply with quote

cheers
the actual waiting for the PDA to find the postcodes took ages - 2 1/2 mins... to be fair the actual route planning bit was really quick - 10/15 secs? max

Makes it hard to plan but as you say if the PDA is really under powered then I can't really blame it!
The microSD is the 512mb card that was supplied with the GPS - would be interested in the transfer rate.
Interestingly i originally installed tomtom on a standard SDcard (no gps) - and while i didn't really try route planning i did browse the voices and they were v swift to preview. Using the microSD its impossibly slow.

john
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an addapter to put the TF card into the SD slot on the device?
If so do this and repeat the above test - this way we can see if its the card read speed of the GPS card interface that is causing the issue.

If it takes the same amount of time with the card in an SD carrier/ addapter installed to the slot on the PDA the issue is with the Card.
If it is much faster in use the issue is with the GPS device - Mike
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The PDA you are using is right on the bottom limit in terms of processor power (300MHz) ...
- Mike

Well, to paraphrase George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' - I think some processor speeds are more equal than others.

My MIO168 clone also has a clock speed of 300MHz, and I'm running TT6.030, with v675.1409 UK+IE+MRWE maps.

Using your departure and destination, I had no perceptible delay as I entered each digit of the postcode, and the route calculation itself took just over 1 second !

Admittedly, I'm using a Corsair 1GB 40x SD card, rather than the combined card that the OP is using, but I believe this confirms how performance is very much affected by external memory access.

Philip
jkingscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike - no i don't have an adaptor - makes to try that though, given that it made such a difference with the sd card.
If the problem is the gps card / microsd access then i guess there isn't really much i can do!?
jkingscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: phase 2... Reply with quote

have tried all this using an adaptor - and its all much much faster, no problem at all.
I assume then the problem is with accessing the micro SD on the gps card - but then is there anything I can do about this?

Also its not just slow using the gps card but crashes ever time i try to plan a journey - and its getting worse...

"an exception occurred: memory access violation"
Rolling Eyes

The only problem i have when using the adaptor is 'error during planning' coming up when i try calculating a long journey - 100 ish miles.. oh .. and obviously no gps signal!

John
jkingscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no go then?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Using your departure and destination, I had no perceptible delay as I entered each digit of the postcode, and the route calculation itself took just over 1 second !

As a matter of interest i just tested my mio168 using 6.020 and same map but using 2gb 150 speed card and didnt have time to check my watch, virtually instantainous, but must admit in usage would not consider going under 300mhz.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although faster is generally better, don't get too carried away with the CPU Clock rate. Most of the time maps are being accessed for route calculations and display, these devices are I.O. bound (SD Card access), not CPU bound. The other thing you need is memory - lots of it. Go for more memory rather than a faster CPU if you have to choose between the two. Idealy get the most of both, but if you are like me, your wallet can't handle it.....

If you already own a slower model, no need to upgarde it - spend the cash on a faster SD card, unless it is really old.......
jkingscott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers
Do you think that a faster microSD would improve things? - currently using the generic 512mb card that came with the SDG-810.
Something like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Micro-Ultra-1GB-Card/dp/B000F2YI06

The unit is crashing out of tomtom everytime i try and plan any sort of long route now...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: