Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq 1940 crashes/locks up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq 1940 crashes/locks up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 1940 crashes/locks up Reply with quote

Hey fellas; stumbled on this goldmine of a website on PDA systems. From what I've read, it seems as though the majority of you know what your talking about.

My question is about my new Ipaq 1940. I've been having some problems with lag and crashes as of late. When I turn it on, the system will freeze and I either have to wait for about 2 min, or pop out the battery to enable pktpc usage.

Is there a remedy for this problem? Its getting rather annoying seeing as how its only a month or so old.

Whats wrong with the pktpc? Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
M.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Satnav software and version do you have installed ?
Which other software do you have installed ?

The important thing is do you have any today plugins installed ?

Anything can really be causing the crash. If it's 100% reproduceable it could be a mapping problem if you are going over the same section of map, but if it happens at different locations, then it's probably more a DLL issue of some sort, or perhaps even a GPS.

Lag can happen almost anytime depending on how many satellites you have a fix on, whether you're receiving multipath errors etc, but I'd be more concerned at the freezing.

The freezing/crashing could also be storage card related, if it's having problems reading from the storage card.
Markley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help;

But unfourtunetly, I ran out of back up battery power the other day and I ended up loosing everything on the pocket pc. Since I've re-installed everything, it's been running smoothly.

Trial and error I guess.

M.
shammy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markley

I've been having similar experiences with my 1940. The simple cure is to do a reset with the stylus pen in the left hand edge of the device - roughly level with the bottom left hand corner of the screen you will find a reset *hole* to dip into.

If it really does freeze up totally then you need to do a full reset which will lose your data unless you have it backed up. Not to be recommended as it takes *forever* to reload everything!

As to cause, mine was due to having an external infrared keyboard set up which didn't want to enable landscape display on the iPaq screen. I've now tried it twice and have given up as it caused total crashes.

Temporary freezing is sometimes down to too many programs running. It just helps to reboot as described above to clear the memory.

Persevere - it's a great piece of kit and I wouldn't be without mine for the world now!

HTH

The Shammeister
Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: