Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Nav (Not Completely) to blame for accident
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Nav (Not Completely) to blame for accident
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! I come across this kind of thing everyday just about everywhere I drive.

It could do with a few more signs and pop-up ramps like you get at car parks and security checkpoints.

Possibly a few pop-up warnings like you get with Vista would help too
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's an idiot. How do such people pass their driving test?
It would be amusing to see her insurance company's response to the claim.
I imagine shes using the train permanently now as no-one will insure her.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ! It doesn't leave much room for confusion does it. She should be prosecuted and if I know the BTP they will do. They have a campain against idiots like her this year.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's more worrying is that she made it to university and she's in her second year.

Mind you, it doesn't say what she's studying - maybe one of those new fangled subjects, like stupidity
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How on earth can you go up a line, the mind beggars belief, it's even worse than the chap who brought a Camper Van, put it on Cruise Control and went off to make a cup of tea in the back.

Apparently he thought cruise control was the same as Automatic Pilot I never found out what the outcome was of that one. Rolling Eyes

Jerry
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How on earth can you go up a line

She didn't. She came up to the crossing and didn't recognise the sign on the gate (red circle on a white gate). Seeing the green light she opened the first gate, drove through, then parked across the lines (obvously didn't notice tjhem) and closed the gate. She went to open the second one and the train came along.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to prevent her from driving anywhere near anywhere I'm driving? She scares the living daylights out of me!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Is there any way to prevent her from driving anywhere near anywhere I'm driving? She scares the living daylights out of me!

You drive on the road, she drives on railway lines - problem solved.

I once worked with a girl who somehow managed to get all four wheels of her car onto the pavement during her driving test - luckily, she failed
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

She didn't. She came up to the crossing and didn't recognise the sign on the gate (red circle on a white gate). Seeing the green light she opened the first gate, ....

Even I can see from the picture that its says "Open both gates, ... recheck(?) the green light, drive across, then close both gates"

So at least she should be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention.
Perhaps her university subject doesn't involve any reading.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be fair though, it's the railways fault initially. Many areas you have to telephone the signaler who will, if it's safe to do so, set signals to red, release gates which can then be opened for a safe crossing. The problem arises when people don't shut the gates after them and the signaler can't re-lock the gates and as a result can't pull off to a green for the trains. I'm not ganmiliar with the area but maybe it would be better to have automatic half barriers instead of gates.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not ganmiliar
Embarassed

I'm not familiar with ganmiliar, only pganmiliar. :P
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Let's be fair though, it's the railways fault initially. Many areas you have to telephone the signaler who will, if it's safe to do so, set signals to red, release gates which can then be opened for a safe crossing. The problem arises when people don't shut the gates after them and the signaler can't re-lock the gates and as a result can't pull off to a green for the trains. I'm not ganmiliar with the area but maybe it would be better to have automatic half barriers instead of gates.

Well as someone who makes his living on Britain's railways, it's not the railway's fault at all. On mainland Europe the railways aren't even fenced off from the roads. Dumb Britain springs to mind. Rolling Eyes

The instructions are quite clear at that sort of crossing, which is known as a Miniature Warning Light (MWL) crossing. The procedure is to check the light first. If it's green, cross on foot and open the far gate. Come back and check again. If still green, open the near gate. Check again! If still green, drive across. Would you believe that 'check again' comes next? If green, cross to the far side and close the gate, then after checking once more, cross to the near side ad close that gate, then carry on driving.

If no light shows, call the signalman.

I can't think of a remote released crossing operated by the public, to be honest. The gate in question is not 'interlocked' with the signalling. There is one at Farnborough North station where a woman was either killed or lost her legs a few years ago because she ignored the warnings. The red light was on and a train was in the near platform. She wanted to cross to the far side and did so, only to be hit by the non-stopping train coming the other way. That wasn't the railway's fault either.

As for AHBs, she'd probably have swerved around them.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The gate in question is not 'interlocked' with the signalling.
But for safety's sake, maybe they should be. Or have AHB's. I realise that people drive round them but in this case it did say 'gate' and I assumed it to be a single lane for cars, in which case one barrier each side would suffice. She would (should) then remain in her car until the barriers raise.

There are a few public foot crossings along the Strood - Paddock Wood line. When a train is due the gates lock and a warning bell sounds. There were also a few points between Faversham and the coast where th farmers, crossing from one part of their land to another, would have to contact the signaller first.

Quote:
There is one at Farnborough North station where a woman was either killed or lost her legs a few years ago because she ignored the warnings.
There were a number of near misses at Teynham station where there is a crossing from the country side of the down line to the country side of the up line. Several times I had to give my driver 'one bell' as he hadn't noticed passengers had walked down the ramp and started to cross in front of the train.

And talking of idiots. Some years back they moved the foot crossing from Kemsley Station, as there had been a few near misses. On one occasion we left the station towards Sheerness when I looked out of the back window to see a female bumping her pushchair, complete with baby, and a toddler in tow, over the running rails. Luckily the gaps in the third rail were still there at that time.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
There are a few public foot crossings along the Strood - Paddock Wood line. When a train is due the gates lock and a warning bell sounds.

I worked on the scheme to upgrade that (Medway Valley) line. The only unmanned gates I recall are (1) just on the New Hythe side of Aylesford Station and (2) just on the East Farleigh side of Maidstone West Station and whilst there are warning bells, the gates certainly do not lock.

Quote:
There were also a few points between Faversham and the coast where th farmers, crossing from one part of their land to another, would have to contact the signaller first.

Occupation Crossings. Generally to gain access to or from private land so not for general public use.

Quote:
There were a number of near misses at Teynham station where there is a crossing from the country side of the down line to the country side of the up line. Several times I had to give my driver 'one bell' as he hadn't noticed passengers had walked down the ramp and started to cross in front of the train.

So where was the driver looking when these people were walking in front of his train?

And talking of idiots. Some years back they moved the foot crossing from Kemsley Station, as there had been a few near misses. On one occasion we left the station towards Sheerness when I looked out of the back window to see a female bumping her pushchair, complete with baby, and a toddler in tow, over the running rails. Luckily the gaps in the third rail were still there at that time.[/quote]

I feel sorry for the baby.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
The gate in question is not 'interlocked' with the signalling.

Quote:
But for safety's sake, maybe they should be.

Until some thoughtless idiot leaves a gate open.....

The crossing is simple to operate. If she can drive a car then she should be able to operate this crossing.

There is no point in trying to cater for idiots because all that will happen is a better idiot will come along and make things worse.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: