Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera database update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera database update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera database update Reply with quote

Down here in Sussex there have been numerous cameras (GATSO & Red Light) added by the police recently. Does the Speed camera database get updated from other sources other than us user's supplying *.ov2 files. What I mean is do you take info provided on the official ‘Safety Camera’ websites ours down here is at the following address:[http://www.sussexsafetycameras.gov.uk/sites.html].

Can you also give an idea as to when the next update of the database is due as the existing is nearly 2 months out of date and I know of at least 6 cameras in my locality both GATSO & Red Light that are not in it.
[url][/url]
stevex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Camera Locations Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Having just read your mail, i have located the enclosed,
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/database

Unless you are aware of it, it covers a lot of ares.

Stevex
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We compile data from many sources inclusing official records where they exist.

Our latest release was published last week. It was slightly late in coming as we've all been snowed under (excuse the pun!) with reviews but expect a monthly release in future Thumbs Up
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any possibility of having the data in a form suitable for Garmin eMap or iQue 3600?
Laze
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried loading the camera database into the garmin ique 3600 as waypoints, but it made the pda impossibly slow. When I have a few spare moments I plan to write some software for the ique to provide camera warnings, but I am snowed under at work currently Sad
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These locations were fixed using an iQue 3600 during February 2004.
All are in the Swansea area, and do not appear in the recent AutoRoute Data.
Mobile Van-0001 N51.82522 W4.13604--Dual Carriageway-70mph
Radar-Gatso-5001 N51.63395 W3.94980--40mph
Radar-Gatso-5002 N51.63501 W3.96039--40mph
Radar-Gatso-5003 N51.63584 W3.96427--40mph
Radar-Gatso-5004 N51.63871 W3.97293--40mph
Radar-Gatso-5005 N51.64005 W3.97568--40mph
Radar-Gatso-5006 N51.64615 W3.98338--40mph
Radar-Gatso-5007 N51.62995 W3.94319--40mph

There are more 'mobile van' positions but you do not seem to be listing these.

I have spent some time taking details from the AutoRoute Data Base and manually creating a Garmin Mapsource file *mps to work on my eMap and a Palm desktop version to HotSync to my iQue.
[Wales/M4 corridor/M25 to Dover/New Forest/Bristol].
Is there an easier way than manually entering the data???
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strumble:
mobile van locations?
what's the point of recording these, if they are there one day and gone the next.

you wouldn't get 500mtrs without warning blaring off here and there.
I appreciate that there are indeed certain "blackspots" where the vans reguarly hang-out, but personally i'd find such a warning system more frustrating to live with. As it is, i accept that the "system" is not fool-proof. I'm warned about fixed cameras - and this is of PARTICULAR benefit when driving in unfamiliar areas, but i also accept that if i'm driving over the speed limit, i may still be caught-out by police traffic cars, mobile camera vans etc.
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mobile van locations?
what's the point of recording these, if they are there one day and gone the next.

Thank you for your observations.

You will notice that there are no fixed units on the route to the Pembrokeshire Coast, from Port Talbort on the M4.

However, regular drivers in the area notice the frequency of the mobile units at set points and on bridges. These points are in frequent use-not one off!

The mobile unit mentioned above/below is in a position to observe all traffic to Pembrokeshire, including all traffic to Ireland using both the Fishguard and Pembroke Ferries!

Surely, the location of possible mobile units in our area is of as much interest to locals and visitors, as the frequent static units on the M25 were to me, on my journey through to Dover!

If the frequency of the warning is an issue, are the continuous warnings on the M25 from the M4 Junction to Gatwick annoying? After all, most of the static units were inactive - the inboard Snooper indicating the active/inactive units.

Most static units are located where there are residential areas with lower than the national speed limit. The mobile unit I mentioned is on a very fast dual carriageway, downhill, and in open countryside, and on a left curve!

I would prefer to be aware of the possiblity of a mobile unit on 100 occassions, rather than to be photographed on 1 occassion!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathise, my one and only speeding endorsement in 20 yrs driving was from a mobile unit on a bridge above the M4 at Newport whilst travelling to watch Wales play at Cardiff Twisted Evil

The problem with adding mobile locations is that there is no way for other database users to know if this location is a verified frequent hangout for mobile units, a location where a unit was located on a single occasion never to be visited again or more importantly an erronous entry which needs to be removed.

If a reader reports a location to us as being incorrect because there is no speed camera at that site then unless we know better all we can do is remove the entry. I am sure you can see the confusion this would cause. By all means add sites into your own database for your personal use but until we can come up with a better way of recording mobile sites accurately (and even the commercial safety camera warning devices struggle here) then we will not be consciously adding them to the main database.

And I shall be travelling up to Cardiff Saturday (C'mon Wales!) so for any others making the journey be on your guard anytime after crossing the Severn, observe all speed limits on the M4 and keep your eyes peeled for camera vans on the overhead bridges. They park up with their cameras point towards you through the side doors Grrr Thumbs Up
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I sympathise, my one and only speeding endorsement in 20 yrs driving was from a mobile unit on a bridge above the M4 at Newport whilst travelling to watch Wales play at Cardiff

1-In the light of your experience, would you not have appreciated the warning of a possible mobile unit at that location?

2-In the light of your experience, why have you not indicated the location of the possible mobile unit, so that all Welsh and Scottish fans can avoid a photograph this weekend?

3-The point of a database is to provide details of cameras out of your normal location.
Every commuter on the M25 knows the locations of the cameras.
All commuters - Cardiff to Bristol - know the locations of the mobile units on bridges where you were photographed.
You were out of your normal area so you were vunerable!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:

1-In the light of your experience, would you not have appreciated the warning of a possible mobile unit at that location?

2-In the light of your experience, why have you not indicated the location of the possible mobile unit, so that all Welsh and Scottish fans can avoid a photograph this weekend?

3-The point of a database is to provide details of cameras out of your normal location.
Every commuter on the M25 knows the locations of the cameras.
All commuters - Cardiff to Bristol - know the locations of the mobile units on bridges where you were photographed.
You were out of your normal area so you were vunerable!

1. The possible location could be any of the bridges passing over the M4, if our database alarmed every time you approached a bridge then it would very quickly be disregarded as innacurate and useless.

2. If I knew which bridge it was on I would have provided that information in my post and perhaps added it as a personal POI in my database for tomorrow but I do not know. I mentioned it in order to alert any fans attending tomorrow who may be readers.

3. Agreed but this does not change our standpoint on mobiles. We have no resource to verify locations personally and the technology at hand does not allow us to differentiate a site that is a possible mobile location which may or may not be in use and needs to be approached with caution.

I understand the issue here, our desire to disseminate a database that is regarded as accurate and reliable has to outweigh the addition of features such as this that we cannot technically support at this time. I drive high mileages and so have a commercial GPS Gatso detector in my car. Even this does not reliably alert to mobile locations and I pay for that service!

One thought, we could create a seperate Mobile Database with a sperate icon that dsitinguishes mobile sites. We could then add locations that users 'know' to be regular haunts to this database and give readers the option of using this or not. What does everyone think?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
One thought, we could create a seperate Mobile Database with a sperate icon that dsitinguishes mobile sites. We could then add locations that users 'know' to be regular haunts to this database and give readers the option of using this or not. What does everyone think?

Darren,

That’s an excellent idea. Thumbs Up I’d be interested in using a mobile camera POI in conjunction with the fixed camera POI. As a starter here’re the coordinates of a bridge near J7 of the M40 where they often use mobile cameras:

-1.057608, 51.724550

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, is the bridge the A329 where it crosses the M40 at Junction 7?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Yes it is. Apologies for not giving further information. Embarassed It is the bridge where the A329 crosses the M40; it is the J7 of the M40.

The speed limit on the A329 is 30 mph for several hundred meters either side of the M40. So if things are quiet on the M40, the speed trappers can have a field day on the A329.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Great idea! With your support Darren it will happen. Start a new mobile unit forum.

Here is my initial location
West Wales-Carmarthenshire-A48 Westwards-Gateway to Pembrokeshire and Irish Ferries-Just before Junction with B4130-Layby on Dual carriageway-Van unit-N51.82522 W4.13604

By the time you return from the match you will have a few locations! You already have a Privateer entry - already entered into my iQue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: