Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic (GPRS) vs. TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic (GPRS) vs. TMC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJW2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: TomTom Traffic (GPRS) vs. TMC Reply with quote

Anybody know which is best out of these two - or is there no real difference at all!? I've heard that the TomTom data system is much more accurate, but then I've read on other forums that there's no real difference - anybody had experience of both?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both methods supply data from the same provider so there is no real difference in terms of content, the RDS-TMC is regional though so you only get traffic information within a certain distance of your present position where as the GPRS connection gives you full country coverage.
GPRS depends upon your mobile phone which will work considerably better in the UK than the RDS-TMC which is very problematic to get working reliably in this country, so much so TomTom appear to have stopped selling the RDS-TMC unit in the UK - Mike
dodge101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know how much bandwidth the GPRS method uses on an "average journey"? (Perhaps, "how much does your system use" would be a better question.)

It seems I'm faced with a choice of:
    PocketGPS Speed Camera DB, no traffic info for £19 / yr
    TomTom Camera DB + Tomtom Traffic GPRS for £34 / yr + bandwidth costs

Obviously, Traffic would be worth it if it only uses up a few kb per journey, but not so much if it's 5 Mb per journey. (I have to pay Vodafone rates).
dodge101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodge101 wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know how much bandwidth the GPRS method uses on an "average journey"?

Aha, just found
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55353
adam45
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier, but I have never seen anyone come clean about this:

TomTom traffic is worse than useless (I've only used the GPRS version, but if the RDS version uses the same data then it will also be worse than useless).

I have been using TomTom traffic for around 6 months now, mainly between Bristol and Central London and I have never known it's traffic information to be correct. Never. Not once.

268 minute delays turn out to be non-existant.
0 delays turn out to be long delays (due to accidents several hours ago).

Honestly, it has never been right.

Why this isn't common knowledge I cannot fathom. There are threads here with 100s of posts about people trying to perfect their aerial positions. What's the point? The information is worthless.

As I understand it, TomTom do NOT subscribe to the live trafficmaster network of actual traffic data. This traffic master data - in my experience - sometimes misses stuff, but when it reports a problem there is always a problem. I cannot imagine where TomTom get their hugely innacurate data from, but it feels random (monkeys and typewriters?)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Adam, TomTom get their information from iTIS Holdings, via GPRS you get full country information via RDS you get regional information, as you travel the device picks up new radio transmitters which are broadcasting information relative to the local area. The regional information will cover around 100 miles North and South of your current position from my experiences with it.

The issue of reception has been a major issue for quite a few of us who have been messing around connecting external aerials in an attempt to improve reception - the new replacement receiver has now made this obsolete - the new issue is/ will be quality of data which is better than it was but there is still room for improvement - if you want to post in This thread your views/ concerns will be picked up by iTIS Holdings at some point as they started the thread - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: