Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which splitter should I use?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which splitter should I use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a whole series of posts on this subject. See this link

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48188&highlight=amplified+car+automobile+aerial

I spent hours trying to get a decent feed off the car aerial. Every attempt weakened the signal to the car radio - OK in London but quite severe in rural areas.

I know that the GNS Y splitter is not cheap but it is simple to fit and you can remove it when you sell your car. In my opinion, it does what it says on the tin!

Hope this helps
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diabeticpaul wrote:
There are a whole series of posts on this subject. See this link

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48188&highlight=amplified+car+automobile+aerial

I spent hours trying to get a decent feed off the car aerial. Every attempt weakened the signal to the car radio - OK in London but quite severe in rural areas.

I know that the GNS Y splitter is not cheap but it is simple to fit and you can remove it when you sell your car. In my opinion, it does what it says on the tin!

Hope this helps

Now I'm confused :-)

I've booked the car in for the mod but the bloke who will do it has told me that if I want to provide him with a filtered splitter he will install that.

I'm tempted to go for just a normal non filtered splitter though partly because of availability and partly because of cost.

There doesn't seem to be a filtered splitter available for sale in the UK anyway - as far as I can see lowestontheweb don't stock them anymore.

A number of people seem to report okay results with a normal splitter. Would an alternative to a non filtered splitter be to fit an amplifier after the split signal to the radio?

This is starting to sound like silly money though!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A filtered splitter sounds like the GNS splitter, which you could probably fit yourself (provided you know how to remove your car radio and have the tools to do so).

If you also bear in mind that 40 Euros is about 25 pounds then this will probably also be cheaper than providing somebody with a filtered splitter and paying them for the privelege of fitting it.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, unfortunately, to buy from GNS direct, it's not 40 Euros.

On top of that, you need to add another 20 Euros delivery charge, and they only accept IBAN bank transfers (in Euros). My bank charges nearly £20 to perform an IBAN bank transfer, which puts the total bill at more like £60.

They can be bought cheaper though (eg Navigon sell them, although last time I checked the item only appeared in the German language shop unless you Google for the part, and then you can find a link to the English page for the item).

I, however, have no experience of buying the splitter from either GNS or Navigon, although I believe other users here have bought the part from Navigon.

One other thing to consider is GNS make about 7 versions of the splitter, with different car aerial connectors and different plugs on the TMC data end - you'll need to work out which is correct for your car / easiest to wire into the TMC receiver before purchasing.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I haven't ordered anything from them so wasn't aware of the shipping costs...

...I was just taking things at face value - I should know better by now
Alsone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried one of these?

They're clip on - window or sunroof.

My only concern is the fact that it clips on the window. The centre of the roof is always the best spot for an aerial and it stops you using one window if fitted as suggested. You can sunroof fit as well but the problem then is its only suitable for tilt roofs and I'm always concious of the effect having a cable permanently pushed through a seal might have long term leak wise.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any details as to a manufacturer or part number?? - it might help reception but window mounting is not a good idea for optimal reception - Mike
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Any details as to a manufacturer or part number??
lowestonweb.com (which is where the picture came from) list it as "GNS TMC Windows Clip Antenna", so, along with many of the TMC splitters, it appears to originate from GNS....
More detail here
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simpler splitter (basically a 'Y' cable) can be found here http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm

The part number I used was PC5-102 the DIN-DIN Y cable. The site has various adapters that could be used to fit other types of connector. Bear in mind that a 'perfect' splitter will deliver exactly 1/2 the aerial power into each of the two cables so you may need to have an aerial amplifier before the splitter, I already have one in my car. Result into my GTM21/nuvi 660 was very good - TMC at home for the first time!
kentnicklloyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Any details as to a manufacturer or part number??
lowestonweb.com (which is where the picture came from) list it as "GNS TMC Windows Clip Antenna", so, along with many of the TMC splitters, it appears to originate from GNS....
More detail here

see http://www.amazon.co.uk/GNS-TMC-Windows-Clip-Antenna/dp/B000T2ADUG

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: