Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Despite the assurances from TomTom about their maps ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Despite the assurances from TomTom about their maps ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Despite the assurances from TomTom about their maps ... Reply with quote

Despite the assurances from TomTom about their maps in which they told me that the new downloadable maps did not cover the Isle Of Man nor Southern Ireland ... and they did not have a product that did so, I was this last 5 days on the Isle of Man with a group of car driving friends - one of whom had a new TomTom One Europe ... with the Isle fully mapped ...

What is going on - I assume it is because the 910 etc use TeleAtlas mapping and the One uses Navteq - but that is just insane that I - the owner of one of their more expensive units - cannot get access to the same maps as one of their cheaper units

Does TomTom have a plan to settle on one set of maps - preferably a set that is complete ...
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Despite the assurances from TomTom about their maps ... Reply with quote

Hi DavidM,

You’re right it is frustrating. Rolling Eyes

DavidM wrote:
Despite the assurances from TomTom about their maps in which they told me that the new downloadable maps did not cover the Isle Of Man nor Southern Ireland ... and they did not have a product that did so, I was this last 5 days on the Isle of Man with a group of car driving friends - one of whom had a new TomTom One Europe ... with the Isle fully mapped ...

The TomTom person that you communicated with probably thought that your question was totally about the new downloadable maps, which are all Tele Atlas ones and thus do not cover the Isle of Man.

There are no new Navteq maps at present that are downloadable. I would imagine that TomTom will do the same with the Navteq maps that they’ve done with the Tele Atlas ones, at some point in the future.

DavidM wrote:
What is going on - I assume it is because the 910 etc use TeleAtlas mapping and the One uses Navteq - but that is just insane that I - the owner of one of their more expensive units - cannot get access to the same maps as one of their cheaper units...

The ONE NE Europe and RIDER (classic and 2) all use Navteq maps. I believe that the 910 can also use Navteq maps. All other TomTom products can only use Tele Atlas maps.

DavidM wrote:
Does TomTom have a plan to settle on one set of maps - preferably a set that is complete ...

It is useful that TomTom uses both sets of maps. Hopefully they will one day soon offer both Tele Atlas and Navteq maps for downloading.

Navteq maps cover:
The Isle of Man
The Channel Islands.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply - funnily enough I was just checking their website - and on the maps coverage for the One product range - I could not see the IOM mentioned - in my opinion the areas that are covered on the ONE range make it a more attractive product than the x10 range
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DavidM,

I agree.

The TomTom ONE NE Europe is a great unit. I normally use TomTom Navigator 6 on a PDA. However most years Bo Peep and I go to Jersey for a holiday and in the past have had to reply on Co Pilot which was never easy.

Last we used TomTom Navigator 5 and POI Capture to record some of the speed check sites in Jersey. TTNav5 just shows the outline of the island.

We’re hoping to go back to Jersey this year – with my TomTom ONE NE Europe and the PocketGPSWorld camera database! ;)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: