Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the TomTom One XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the TomTom One XL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzyfergy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whey hey , not only a sat nav forum but a free biology lesson too!!!!. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more.... Rolling Eyes

From Wikipaedia:
Quote:
The normal human visual field extends to approximately 35 degrees nasally (toward the nose, or inward) in each eye, to 90 degrees temporally (away from the nose, or outwards), and approximately 50 degrees above and below the horizontal meridian.

I make that a total of around 180 degrees horizontally and 100 degrees vertically, although waving a ruler around in front of me just now, I'd say the "downward" view is quite a bit bigger than the "upward".
Left to right is at least 180 degrees, possibly more. So "Landscape" does make sense.

Ignoring all of that, when driving I can SEE what's ahead, I usually want my TomTom to show me what happens if I turn off down the nearest rat-run! So the more information at the sides the better, as far as I'm concerned.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ease of use I always folded my paper maps so only one page would appear, i.e. vertically. For me the Sat Nav is an electronic 'paper' map. I've tried both landscape and vertical and prefer vertical.

Regardless of how many eyes and field of view etc, I'm almost always looking straight ahead when driving, my peripheral vison takes care of most other things. I've tried both 2D and 3D and find 3D gives a more realistic view of what's coming up.

It is all to do with personal preference, maybe the answer would be for all units to have rotating screens and a choice of 2D or 3D. Then everyone could be happy and choose the device they prefer.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that while this is important for cinema screens and large televisions, it's totally irrelevant for sat nav devices as the screen size is so tiny. You will never place the device within 4 inches of your face to use it which is what you'd have to do for the field of view to become relevant! A satnav screen will NEVER EVER even vaguely approach your field of view - and therefore the shape of it doesn't matter.

Contrary to what Darren says, everything I've been taught or have read shows that humans prefer to read information in portrait format. This is why pretty much all books, newspapers, magazines are portrait format. Additionally, even portrait format is too wide for us to cope with for things like data tables and text and the information is commonly split in to narrow and tall columns to make it easier for us to read. I cannot think of any newspaper or magazine that has it's pages in landscape format.

To be honest, I don't really see how somebody can even try to argue that it's more useful to see 3 times further to the sides than it is in front when you're travelling forwards! I probably spend 99.9% of time looking in the direction I'm travelling in when I'm driving (except when checking mirrors) and I think the same is probably true for what you'd want to see on a satnav map. I have very little interest in what's out of my side windows as by the time it's there - it's usually too late! Why would you want to see a POI thats several miles off to one side when there's probably one just up ahead? With a portrait map, you'd have much more time to see road junction layouts, roundabouts and POIs.

Quote:
Ignoring all of that, when driving I can SEE what's ahead

I seriously doubt that you see more than a few hundred yards with any level of accuracy (especially since nearly all roads are curved!). At 70mph, TomTom shows several miles ahead in portrait mode.

Lets go on (estimated) statistics:

There is probably a 90+% chance that, at any one time, I will be at a location that's vaguely ahead of me or on the same road I'm already on in one mile's time. Compare this to the fact that you probably drive PAST about 95% of the side roads on your trip without turning into any of them. Surely it's more important to see what happens with the road you're actually on, or the turn/junction that's ahead that you KNOW you're going to go on than if you turn down one of the "rat run" roads to the left/right?!

In fact it's VERY worrying that you even look at the screen while driving to see what's several miles to either side. I only ever look at the screen when there's something coming up that affects me - eg a turning/junction/POI that TomTom has already warned me about by voice.[/b]
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't disagree with anything you said NickG.

However, I can see the reasoning behind some people wanting to see to the left and right on a landsacape screen. Lorry and coach drivers with high vehicles would find it an advantage if they came across a diversion, and could see if there were any low bridges on that route and take the necessary avoiding action.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a software developer myself, I'm sure that adding the option to display the data down the side instead of across the bottom (as in the screen shot I posted previously) would be a very quick and easy fix that would please everyone! That way, the map view would be pretty much square instead of about 3 times wider than it is tall. I'm going to ask TomTom to implement it and I hope others reading this can find a couple of minutes to their site and request this feature too.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Contrary to what Darren says, everything I've been taught or have read shows that humans prefer to read information in portrait format.

Selective quoting there! My reply to you mentioned research that suggested landscape was the preferred layout, its not my preference. But your comparison with printed media isn't entirely fair or computer screens and TV's would be portrait. Mapping based sat nav (which is what I referred to) is graphical not printed text.
Quote:
As a software developer myself, I'm sure that adding the option to display the data down the side instead of across the bottom (as in the screen shot I posted previously) would be a very quick and easy fix that would please everyone!

Indeed, as I said in my first response to you I agree with you. Better still a option to have the status info at top, bottom, left or right would be nice.

I have my PPC in portrait mode because I prefer it that way but the GO910 although landscape isn't that much different. There is very little loss of information when comparing them but I would like a wide screen with the option of status information to the side.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sign of of a headphone socket on this? Seeing as most competitors have it and they have a bit more space to play with it would be a welcome addition.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley_Tweedle wrote:
Any sign of of a headphone socket on this? Seeing as most competitors have it and they have a bit more space to play with it would be a welcome addition.

Not present in the ONE XL no.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking Darren. Seems TT have declared all out war on headphone sockets. I can see the vast majority wouldn't use it so it's fair enough.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about battery life for roaming hand held applications?

when will it be available?

Looking at the Acer P630 as well what do you chaps think?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about battery life for roaming hand held applications?
Reading the specs. it's a 2 hour battery life, with a lithium-ion battery too. Power hungry or what?
amjidkhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this model better than the One V2?, apart from the obvious widescreen.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amjidkhan wrote:
How is this model better than the One V2?, apart from the obvious widescreen.

It has the option to plug in TomTom's TMC module, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on where you live.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide screen is one thing, bear in mind the screen is much larger, this offers larger speed and ETA displays (= easier to read). I don't want to re-ignite the portrait vs landscape issue, for myself I used to run PDA's in portrait but since using the 910 I now use the PDA in landscape in the car, personal prefference having tried both modes.

RDS TMC, as Tim points out is a post code lottery in the UK, but a welcome addition negating the need for costly GPRS and subscription for the Plus service.

Flash memory also removes the potential to loose the memory card, even though a slot is still provided for other overseas maps where required. This also means the long running issue of memory card speed is removed when using the on board flash store - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: