Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps for Navman 570
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps for Navman 570

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueCruiser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Maps for Navman 570 Reply with quote

Hello all...

I've a Navman PiN 570 (running on SmartST2005 V3.50) and recently I've been trying to find european maps that I can install to the PiN. I've the following questions if anyone would be able to help me:

1. Are those maps sold on ebay (either come in a CD/SD) that says for iCN510/520 range compatible with the Pin570 at all? Can i for instance just replace the original SD and slot in a new SD with maps on and then drive on?

2. How about the 3CD set that came with the original box - are they supposed to be first registered with Navman and to obtain a product key before I can install them. If so, how do I do that and how much does the unlock key cost?

Thanks for any advice!

Regards
Rod
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) No, the "unlock keys" are the improtant bit and the 5xx and Pin are not interchangeable.

2) Getting hold of the the CDs mean that you now have the map data but no way to use it. Unless you buy from a reliable source, you will almost certainly be missing the all important unlock keys. You will also need the Navman PC Software to register your new maps against your PDA.

The otehr way to think of this is the CD's are worth about 50p each. The Keys are what cost the other 98.49

The best advise I can give (aside from moral and legal issues) is that if you have the skills, resources and time to work out how to steal the maps from Navman, you can earn hundreds more in an hour than they cost to to buy so why bother. Buy the maps from a reliable source if you need them.
BlueCruiser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply robert much appreciate!
Rickyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late I know ,but if you want European maps on your PIN 570 ,just get hold of a copy of TomTom .I run TT5 on my 570 with the latest UK & WE [Western Europe] maps and it's rather good .I now have the benefit of both SmartST & TT on the one device. Hope this helps .I must say I find this 570 a super device. Lots of software for it too , to play your photos , videos, mp3's etc .What are your thoughts on the matter ??
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pin300, basically the same thing only a bit older. i love the idea that when I don't need it for Navigation my 3 year old son can watch his favourite movies. - occationally it's easier to get out the paper map than get it back off my son Sad

I would recommend the PPC approach to anyone who is computer savy and prepared to get to know the toy, and prepared for the occational whoops in software. The dedicated devices are great for the ease of use and reliablity, that comes from them being designed to do just one job, but do it well.
Rickyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree , but I think you still need a bit of PC knowledge even with a dedicated SatNav kit .I know a couple who bought a TT device 2 years ago , they haven't updated the maps ,POI or even connected it to there PC . It would of been outdated when they bought it , but it's even worse now .There limited PC savy has limited it's use . It was designed to be connected to the PC , but people are still unsure about what to do . They would of paid about £150 for theirs and I only paid £99 for my 570 which is so much more value for money when you consider what these PDA's can do . I would never even consider buying a dedicated satnav unit if anything should happen to my PIN 570 , infact I was so impressed with it it when I bought it at xmas I went out and bought another .I have all the programs mirrored and was using one as a test for new software .
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a point, if you assertion that out-of-date maps being a problem is correct.
My experiance is that despite what they say, 3 or even 4 year old data is quite useable. Where maps are incorrect, it was usually incorrect when the map was manufactured (i.e. error in data or program, not a change to the road network). However on the few times it has been incorrect for me, the problem has been very easy to resolve.

There is no dispute that more recent systems are better, just how much better is the question. I believe that for people on a budget (me), dedicated systems can provide 5 years or more useful service without being updated.

However, I am more than happy to concede that I am in a minority with this opinion :D
Rickyt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buget is limited too , so , I'm not a person who continually wants to update or upgrade just for the sake of it . I dont mind if my maps are a little out of date either . I dont think I can update my SmartST map at all . When I put TT5 on I noticed there was a new estate built that wasn't on the map , so ,I hunted for a newer version and got one . It is a newer UK & WE version that works very well on my PIN570 and I'll be keeping it the way it is .
I know there are some systems that take pictures and god knows what else , there not for me . I like my PIN570's and hope they last for years to come .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: