Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 gave me a puncture :@
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 gave me a puncture :@
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suby786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: i3 gave me a puncture :@ Reply with quote

true was my own fault, i didnt uncheck AVOID UNPAVED ROADS, and i was driving my sisters coupe (which is low by standard) and it took me down this dirt track and hit a massive pothole killing off the 18" £90 tyre and banged the whole underside of the car. well peed off and was all due to the i3 not taking me down MAIN ROADS. the place i was going to had access by main roads but the i3 took me down the fastest route which was the dirt road:@

ive learnt my lesson now...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it took me down this dirt track

Quote:
was all due to the i3 not taking me down MAIN ROADS.

Was the i3 driving? I think not. The ultimate decision is yours. Can't blame the i3 at all it's just a guide.

Just like the woman who drove into a river last week.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Was the i3 driving? I think not.

to be fair though the OP did say it was his own fault!

MaFt
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: i3 gave me a puncture :@ Reply with quote

suby786 wrote:
... well peed off ...
Not half as much as your sisters, I'm sure Embarassed

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to be fair though the OP did say it was his own fault!

I'll admit i missed that first time round. I blame my TV.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case shouldn't this thread be headed:

'i3 Did Not Give Me A Puncture But My Inability To Use It Properly Did' ??

As you have rightly said it was your own fault, all of it and it is totally incorrect to say
'It was all due to the i3 not taking me down MAIN ROADS.'

You drove the vehicle down an unpaved road not the satnav.

GPS systems are nothing more than tools, ones which can be extremely useful but at the end of the day they're still tools.As the old saying goes 'A bad workman blames his tools'
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:

GPS systems are nothing more than tools, ones which can be extremely useful but at the end of the day they're still tools.As the old saying goes 'A bad workman blames his tools'

Tools yes. But a good workman doesn't blame his tools because he has the best ones around. Which cost mucho money.

Sadly I've yet to see a GPS nav system that actually provides what users want & need to navigate properly. Most interfaces are so badly designed, you have no advance warning of what a road is like, or even where it's taking you. It's just do this, do that, turn here.

Look at the Garmin (Nuvi660 v3.60 firmware)... Nice screen, good zoom functionality, even the auto-zoom is useful. Great adjustable detail. Sadly only 1 via, no real detour functionality, no avoid roads, parts of route etc. And the traffic interface is a joke.

TomTom. Great nav functionality. Traffic interface is one of the best. But the damn thing assumes you only ever want to see the next 200-300metres of the route when driving. What sort of sado interface is that? (that & the crap traffic quality was the reason I got rid of my TT500).
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the best tools on the planet are no use if you don't know when it is appropriate or not to use them. Smile

The only thing I would really like to see improved on the nuvi (660) is an image of the up-coming junction a la TomTom - it's not difficult to do and it could be a pop-up over the bottom left or right corners.

As for the TMC interface I have only had it work once 'for real' as I live and do most of my driving in the NW and there appears to be a problem with the Winter Hill TMC transmissions. I was returning from Shrewsbury a few weeks ago and the warning triange popped up on the RHS. I touched it and it gave info about a problem on the A49 (it was closed for re-surfacing) and offered the option of routing around it - which of course I was going to do anyway. But that's what I would want from such a system - I don't need info on problems that aren't on the route I am following. I was a long-term user of the TrafficMaster alert system (can't remember the name - Oracle?). This gave local only information and I found it very useful. At the time I was a 30k miles/year driver and it got me out of problems on many occasions - I do a lot less now but the fact that Garmin were using TrafficMaster as their info provider was one of the buying points in their favour when I was looking for an all-in-one unit.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even the best tools on the planet are no use if you don't know when it is appropriate or not to use them.

Exactly. Even if you have the best most expensive Sat Nav it's still a guide and no driver can use it as an excuse for taking a sports car off road.

If i had a very expensive set of screwdrivers I'd never blame them if they turned out to be crap for hammering.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamie wrote:

Sadly I've yet to see a GPS nav system that actually provides what users want & need to navigate properly.

I think you'll find that should be 'Sadly I've yet to see a GPS nav system that actually provides what I want & need to navigate properly.'

There are many, many users, including myself, who are more than happy with their GPS sat nav system, whatever the make and model.
Although it's not perfect; and because it's a subjective thing the perfect sat nav doesn't exist (and probably never will), my TT910 enables me to navigate fine. It's used almost daily and has rarely, if ever, let me down.

Also, getting back to theme of the thread, a satnav (whatever the cost) can no more be held responsible for issues such as these than a normal, traditional street atlas or stationary, inanimate road sign.
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:

Also, getting back to theme of the thread, a satnav (whatever the cost) can no more be held responsible for issues such as these than a normal, traditional street atlas or stationary, inanimate road sign.

Part of the problem here is that a satnav tells you where to go (ie it does the interpretation of the map), whereas when reading a map we are doing the interpretation and will generally think 'oh an unmetalled road / byway, better avoid that' unless we know better from experience.

Unfortunately because we are given an instruction to do something humans are very susceptible to believing it or doing something that they would not otherwise do - we are conditioned to do this from the day we are born.

We are also condition to blame someone / something else when we make a mistake.

Another thing to note is that very small / rubbish roads never used to be shown on a number of mainstream road maps, there are a number of small villages (well hamlets) that i know of in Shropshire that simply don't exist - so it was much harder to find roads of such a poor condition to drive along
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe sat nav manufacturers could get away from the blame by changing the voice commands from 'turn left' to 'you could turn left here' - that way you could never say the sat nav TOLD you to do it, just that it suggested it and you made the decision yourself ;)

MaFt
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
maybe sat nav manufacturers could get away from the blame by changing the voice commands from 'turn left' to 'you could turn left here' - that way you could never say the sat nav TOLD you to do it, just that it suggested it and you made the decision yourself ;)

MaFt

Let's pray that they are not reading this, you may have given them a good idea there. It will be like groceries next - Milk, contains dairy products. I'm waiting for someone to sue for for the cup holder now drinking soft drinks at the wheel is illegal
jaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a very similar story to this inthe press about a guy with a freelander, was "told" to go down this farm road, which he though t would be fine becuae he was in an off roader, , he then drove down what could only be decribed as stine steps then through a stream and then finall got the car wedged on some boulders with a path running through between them. He tried to sue the sat nav manufacturer as he had ASSUMED all the roads it directed you down had been driven. the case was flung out for basically it was his own fault for being a *insert your choice of word for idiot*.

I suppose its like every thing its down to the users discretion and with the auto re route function, you can basically chose whether or not you want to follow that instruction, or in my dads case ignore all of them becuase he knows better than it does untill the point we end up in a field.
Sat nav is great if used correctly and with a modicum of common sense,
It'll be a long time well a fare few years before sat nav can truely become a blame figure, when those boffins can hook it and cruiscontrol up to create a auto pilot, at that point we can point the finger at the sreen on the dash and hurl abuse with out fear of being carted off.

Ahh well i suppose it could be worse you could have been that guy in a merica back in the early 90s who spent $40,000 on a car first day he get sit he puts onthe cruise control, slouches into his sleep for a nap and ploughs through a cornfield when the car came to a corner, writing it off, and tried to sue because the though cruisecontrol drove the car like it did in knight rider. How peeved would your sister have been then?
mussey1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK each type of road has a classifiacation i.e Motorway, A, B, etc.

Maybe I'm wrong but in order to calculate faster route and arrival time the mapping data must include speed of each road.

If that is the case why could the road classifications not also be included, therefore a route could be planned using only A & B roads for example, or the sat nav could be told to avoid unclassified roads unless there was absoutely no other option.

Maybe I am over simplistic???

Mussey1.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: