Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS over SMS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS over SMS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Vehicle Locators & Person or Pet Tracking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: GPS over SMS Reply with quote

I own a Courier company in the US and my drivers use various GPS
receivers and mapping software on handheald. One thing that is constant is we all have IM (SMS text messaging).

My question is is there anyway to use IM to transmit Data to a mapping
program. CO-Pilot has this, but it uses GPRS witch makes your calls go to voicemail. Microsoft has a hosted MapPoint service, but you have to fend
for yourself to purchase the data from the Cellular service.

Now as you may realize there are 2 issues. One is actually talking to someone who has any knowledge at the carrier level, and 2 being locked into using the same carrier for all drivers.

That being said, I have to tell you there are fleet LBS carriers
around. They are expensive and also lock you into one vendor.

I would think there are Thousands of Couriers, salesmen, and others around here that would love it!!
--
Thanks,

Vic Matson
Ranger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Just a thought Reply with quote

I was just on www.engadget.com and they are reporting on a pacemaker that can transmitt data using SMS.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but were talking much more data to transfer here i dont think its possible

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Ranger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I just need to SMS the longitude and latitude aren’t they just like 9 digit numbers. I know I need the serial port replicated on the PPC so the Mapping software can share data.

MapPoint server can then use the data to display location on a hosted map.

At least that’s what I think.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of SMS you should look into GPRS transmissions - similiar to what CoPilot is doing.

With SMS you have no guarantee of delivery - the SMS can arrive hours or even days later. With GPRS it's instantaneous. Since this is TCP/IP based it will also be much easier to integrate with MapPoint server

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Ranger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but then there is the voicemail thing. I was going to use yahoo messinger IM to transmit data to a hosted MySQL server.
In a Yahoo MYSQL hosted account you can, email, GPRS, or IM to the database. I do it all the time(email orders or comments) update forms. They even send me IM'S of waiting email's.

And BTW their IM really takes 1-4 seconds. If it is delayed I still have the last fix.

I also have allerts sent to my phone 10-20 a day all in real time. As a matter of fact I get the allert the same time messinger pops up tost.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we all know that SMS is not the same as IM. Using IM should be fine, even if it sounds a tad convoluted.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as lutz has copilot incorpates everything you after over gps including im with limited response

device Lumia 950 xl
Ranger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: alix776 Reply with quote

I know that co-pilot has IM I have used it. The problem is co-pilot needs an always open GPRS connection to send data and IM to their server. this in turn enables you to see drivers on a map. However having that connection varies from one cell carrier to another. For example Sprint and Verizon both will send cell calls to voicemail. AT&T gives you an on screen prompt to either pause GPRS and take the call or let the call go to voicemail.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really the phone should overide the gprs conection or thats how my xda worksin the uk it might be differnet in the us but regains the conection after the call is finished usually with 30seconds im probbly telling you how to suck eggs here but as youve used copilot before

device Lumia 950 xl
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranger im speaking to a comercial solutions company tomorrow called roadtech there based in the uk but dont have a foot hold in the us yet ill mention what your after they may know a company in the us that can help you never know and might sort my sdi rtd software out (if only) 8O Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

device Lumia 950 xl
Ranger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it’ been a week now and I have at least found what I am looking for its called exchange positions by SMS or GPRS.
There is a program that creates a layer on a PPC. Then you must calibrate your maps (just click on 3 points in the map) so it knows ware to put an icon over your map. The data can then be sent between devices via SMS. It works out of the box with TomTom software, new to the HP 6500 PPC Phone. This phone even has a GPS chip on board!

I also found this SMS exchange used in pacemakers an even tracking devices for prisoners (they use both SMS and when needed GPRS)
MickyFinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think trakm8 do this with instant messaging the older trakm8 did this with SMS by sending it a where command.

www.trakm8.com

Phil
Ranger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

It looks interesting. By far the best I have sceen. Hope it works here in the US.
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ranger,

Destinator is able to use SMS in order to send location info derived from the GPS attached to the smart phone - this is the issue though you need to have a PDA with built in phone or a true SmartPhone.

You will need to have that SMS sent to some specific number that is capable of extracting the SMS and putting its parsed contents into, say, an MySQL database. You may want to take advantage of a premium rate number supplier to facilitate this service - you can even use it as a revenue generating stream.

As Lutz says, SMS is not a guaranteed delivery method. That said we know that Vodafone in the UK are beginning to offer what they term mission critical delivery - you may be able to find and negotiate similar within the US.

If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Holux Navigation Aids ".....Get there."

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Vehicle Locators & Person or Pet Tracking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: