Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: InfoMap Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: InfoMap Navigator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used infomap v4 (with upgrades to v4_1_8) for a while and it was quite a decent program and solved many issues with the previous v1.3. One very annoying bug I found in v4 is that it would often get confused on approaching junctions. Although the map would be correct, the voice and next maneuver display would indicate bear left, for example, when what we actually needed to do was be told to go straight on at a roundabout. In fact the program was sort of obsessed with this bear left instruction (Oddly enough this bug didn't seem to be present in it's predecessor v1.3).

Another bug (or feature) was that if you went off route the zoom level of the map would drop back to a default setting; quite annoying when you have just gone to the trouble of setting a zoom level you felt comfortable with and not easy to correct while driving.

My main reason for not upgrading to v4.3 and actually changing to TomTom for my navigation is that I became unhappy that these v4 bugs had not been fixed in the short time since v4 was released. Instead Directions Ltd. released v4.3 which they charged for (yes it had an updated map, but what about the customers who had just paid out for v4?). To put it another way Directions abandoned v4 very quickly after it's release. This did not fill me with confidence that they would give good support in the form of bug fixes for future versions.

The program has a lot going for it, a large laptop sized map display seems a distant luxury after dealing with the tiny TomTom screen and the navigation voice has a very pleasant tone. In practice I was successfully navigated on some very tricky journeys with this product, not always smoothly but it did always get me there. But please Directions Ltd., don’t abandon your existing users so quickly!

Dave.
grampasimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the european version, I havn't recieved it yet, but as far as i've been able to read in reviews there's no TMC function, would be nice if it could be implemented in a new version, its very vonvenient when driving in central Europe in the sommer season .. especially france and German roads.
ecotrojan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
Just thinking of buying this product for my laptop but am going to be upgrading my laptop in about 3 moths time, so my question is if i buy the product now but then upgrade my laptop in 3 months will i be able to reinstall this product on my new laptop , even though i have used it on my existing one...

Any help would be appreciated as i'm new to this laptop and satnav thing...after owning a garmin unit and the new tomtom 510 and became very disillusioned with the handheld incar products out there i just want to try something different, and this seems like the ideal solution..

Any help would be appreciated.... Wink

I would hold off - Infomap plan to release an updated version around August with a better front end. (Hopefully 3D) on a laptop
ecotrojan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecotrojan wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
Just thinking of buying this product for my laptop but am going to be upgrading my laptop in about 3 moths time, so my question is if i buy the product now but then upgrade my laptop in 3 months will i be able to reinstall this product on my new laptop , even though i have used it on my existing one...

Any help would be appreciated as i'm new to this laptop and satnav thing...after owning a garmin unit and the new tomtom 510 and became very disillusioned with the handheld incar products out there i just want to try something different, and this seems like the ideal solution..

Any help would be appreciated.... Wink

I would hold off - Infomap plan to release an updated version around August with a better front end. (Hopefully 3D) on a laptop

http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=57585&postcount=10
grampasimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about the maps in this program, does directions or tele atlas release updated maps from time to time, that can be downloaded from internet? or purchased for a reasonable money??
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it will run on more than one laptop (no activation required).

Map updates - usually the maps are released bundled with a new version so you have to buy the lot; not as bad as it sounds as they usually do a special upgrade price (currently £25 for UK version). I always wonder why they can manage to bundle map data so cheaply; (Not that the other sat Nav manufacturers are ripping us off by any chance!) At best you might get a new version every 1 or 2 years.

I've used version 4.4, main problem I had was the bluetooth GPS disconnecting regularly but this could have been a bluetooth problem. Quite inconvenient as it required a complete system reboot to get it working again. For this reason I'd say stick with a USB gps!

Technical support has always been responsive by email but they usually end up asking for your registration details before they will help. (Yes I do own the official versions!) It's fair enough that they don't want to spend their time working for pirates.

I do find however that their bug fixes tinker around with little things but seldom address things like routing algorithms, incorrect voice commands.

It's great to have such a large map screen to look at but be warned I've nearly crashed by car twice glancing down at the thing on the passenger seat, you can't rely on the voice navigation since it gives incorrect information now and again. It takes real care to use a laptop based system in the car and some of us learn the hard way! The GUI is still over complicated for car use.

On the whole not a bad package for those on a budget who already own a laptop but stand alone units are now getting so cheap and are much safer to use; the cost savings are barely worth it. I'm sometimes tempted to take the system along on long journeys as a backup, mainly because having a much larger screen helps you plan an alternative route should roads be closed etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: