Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Still waiting for free V9 upgrade for i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Still waiting for free V9 upgrade for i3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BritishBeef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Still waiting for free V9 upgrade for i3 Reply with quote

I went through the online order process for a free V9 map upgrade for my i3. The confirmation e-mail states 7-10 days for delivery of the update but that was over a month ago and I still haven't received it. I have e-mailed support a few times but don't get any reply. Anyone else had to wait a long time for the free upgrade? Does anyone have a Garmin support phone no.?
kblokey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it took me quite a few telphone cxalls to receive mine. the helpfull guy on the other end did say they were having problems. not too much of a problem to send me 2 of the things Laughing
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freephone number for Garmin is: 0808 238 0000
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
larrens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: v9 upgrade Reply with quote

Who is eligible for this free V9 upgrade?
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who bought a Garmin unit after August 2006 with v8 maps as v9 maps were released in Sept 2006.
---
---
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk_graham wrote:
Anyone who bought a Garmin unit after August 2006 with v8 maps as v9 maps were released in Sept 2006.

...clarify - does not include those bought in August...
---
---
pbta2-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mk_graham"]
mk_graham wrote:

I have recieved my V9 dvd but it will not change the version (V8) to V9 on the i3 does anyone know what I have to do as I have installed on pc fine and already registered so do not know what I have done wrong?
Paul GB PBTA2.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Twisted Evil
GPSSteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received my update DVD today after 7 days but before trying to update I think I will see if I can purchase a new Transflash card and upload / update to that. I do not want to be in the situation of not being able to use the i3 because something goes wrong.
Can anyone advise the best way to do this or any pitfalls to look out for ?
Brian_P6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GPSSteve,
I upgraded my i3 yesterday and found that the best thing to do is:

1. Purchase a new Transflash card - a 1Gb is the best one to go for as it is reported to be the biggest one supported by the i3 - there is a discussion around this on the V9 maps discussion. If you don't have a card reader, get one of those too, they're quite cheap now. Also ensure that your transflash card comes with an adapter so that it will fit into a standard SD socket on the card reader.

2. Take the transflash card out of your i3 and put it in the SD adapter and into the card reader. Copy all the files except "gmapsupp.img" out of the GARMIN directory and put them somewhere safe on your hard drive.

3. Put your new transflash card in the SD adapter and put in the card reader.

4. Go to the Garmin website and obtain your unlock code - you will need this to unlock the maps during the install of Mediasource on you PC. Once you've got this do the following.

5. Install MediaSource. When you do this on your PC it will give you 3 options. The first two are to upgrade your SatNav - ignore them. Pick the 3rd option to install on your PC and continue all the way to the point where you need your unlock code. Enter this and it will go to completion. On the last screen, tick the box to start MediaSource and click on EXIT.

6. Follow the instructions given in the PDF file that MaFt has kindly hosted for Anita and are on page 19 of the "V9 Maps" discussion.

7. As you select regions to download to the transflash (remember to zoom in to select them) you will see the number of Mb required slowly increasing on the panel on the left. You will need to fill up to about 800Mb ish for a 1Gb transflash card.

8. Select Transfer - Send to device.... from the menu, you will then be given the opportunity to send to the transflash card in your card reader, so select it and GO.

9. The next process takes for ever! So go and put the kettle on - of course it depends on the speed of your PC. The system spends ages building the file to send to the transflash and then at the end, it copies the file across.

10. Open the transflash card in an explorer window, open the GARMIN directory and copy the files that you previously backed up to a safe place. You will notice that you have a new "gmapsupp.img" file already there which are your new v9 maps (and hence why we didn't backup the old ones)

11. Put the new transflash in your i3 and Bob's your Uncle you're done! Laughing and your old transflash is intact "just in case".

Hope that helps,
Brian.
thesmithz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk_graham wrote:
mk_graham wrote:

...clarify - does not include those bought in August...

I bought my i3 in May 2006 (with v8 maps), and I've successfully ordered replacement v9 maps via the MyGarmin website. Was told 7 - 10 days to receive disk.

My i3 has a built in memory card ( I bought an additional one as well for POIs ) ... will I have any problems upgrading?
GPSSteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Brian_P6, Just got to go and get a replacement micro SD card and adapter then I am cooking on gas as the maps loaded to the laptop and unlocked ok :-)
north_country_boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thesmithz"][quote="mk_graham"]
mk_graham wrote:

I bought my i3 in May 2006 (with v8 maps), and I've successfully ordered replacement v9 maps via the MyGarmin website.

I thought you could only get an upgrade if you bought after September/October (ish). How did you manage that? And where do you get this serial code number they ask for. I didn't get one in my box Confused
thesmithz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="north_country_boy"][quote="thesmithz"]
mk_graham wrote:
mk_graham wrote:

I bought my i3 in May 2006 (with v8 maps), and I've successfully ordered replacement v9 maps via the MyGarmin website.

I thought you could only get an upgrade if you bought after September/October (ish). How did you manage that? And where do you get this serial code number they ask for. I didn't get one in my box Confused

Its on the yellow slip of paper which was in the box it came in. I used this to register it on MyGarmin when I first bought the unit. When I clicked on "Order Replacement Maps" it asked for that number again.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its on the yellow slip of paper which was in the box it came in. I used this to register it on MyGarmin when I first bought the unit. When I clicked on "Order Replacement Maps" it asked for that number again.

That might get you the DVD but not the unlock code you need to unlock the DVD to install the maps. You'll need to pay for the unlock code....
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V8 code you got with the i3 woun't work with the V9 DVD....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: