Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - At last - Tom Tom in an in car system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

At last - Tom Tom in an in car system
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: At last - Tom Tom in an in car system Reply with quote

Hey, sounds like a good thing. No not yet, but why???? I own a Honda Accord Euro 2006, with sat nav. The Honda system, hmmmm more bad points than good, a waste of money compared with the rest of the market. My question is though, why haven't the other nav programs, Tom Tom, copilot navman etc, developed their programs to operate with in car DVD systems. Wouldn't it be great to have Tom Tom, copilot, navman, etc, working on your in car system. Come on gurus, think outside the square, there are people in the world willing to pay big money for great in car nav systems, they will also pay to have the great nav systems working on their in car sat systems too..............

Jeff
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: At last - Tom Tom in an in car system Reply with quote

orion_jb2001 wrote:
Hey, sounds like a good thing. No not yet, but why???? I own a Honda Accord Euro 2006, with sat nav. The Honda system, hmmmm more bad points than good, a waste of money compared with the rest of the market. My question is though, why haven't the other nav programs, Tom Tom, copilot navman etc, developed their programs to operate with in car DVD systems. Wouldn't it be great to have Tom Tom, copilot, navman, etc, working on your in car system. Come on gurus, think outside the square, there are people in the world willing to pay big money for great in car nav systems, they will also pay to have the great nav systems working on their in car sat systems too..............

Jeff
I'm sorry, I don't quite follow what you are saying here! Are you saying that it is good that they are doing it, or, having missed the announcement, are you saying that it would be a good idea?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud.......the heading is worded to get people to look at the topic, not just browse at the index. No Tom Tom do not have a DVD system of their program that will work in fixed car manufacturer in place sat nav system, but wouldn't it be a good idea. To jump into your car, swich on the ignition and up comes a Tom Tom or Copilot etc program on your nice big 6" satelite screen. I certainly would buy one. My Honda sat nav system cost an extra $3000.00 Autralian, the recent upgrade map cost $585.00 Au. See what I mean? How many Tom Tom's etc can you buy for that sort of money!!!! Come on car constructors, go out and buy a decent sat nav program to put with your systems!!!

Jeff
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had a look at the TomTom Duo (there are some links Here it is a car stereo unit with TT built in, as BGF has said did you miss this, or do you want something else?
That said, it might not be available for retro fit to existing vehicles due to the size etc, built in by the vehicle OEM looks good though.

Perhaps one of the major manufactures could build a unit that you could install a Nav software package to, it wouldn't be rocket science to be honest, but I would never use one as it forces you to be head down to read the display - if they were really serious they could provide a heads up projected image on the windscreen in colour - Mike
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noted about the duo. As regard to the head down, my honda system doesn't affect your driving at all, unless you have tunnel vision. The big 6" screen is only a use of your perifial vision away and of course with voice instructions. there is no need to look at the map to see what you need to do. the marvel of re direction too, if you do make the wrong turn, the old sat nav will fix you up.

Agree it would not be rocket science to adapt a program, if I could lay my hands on the Honda program, I would do it myself.

Jeff
subvertbeats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kenwood DNX7200 which is a double DIN unit with Garmin navigation software built in, and can be updated via SD card.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try connecting iGO limusene to it this uses the screen and could be wortha go

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
carlmicro17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T7000 7" Two Din Car DVD Player with Built-in GPS

16 :9 high definition ,7 inchTFT LCD fully motorized double din car DVD player with touchscreen
Built-in Bluetooth/GPS/SD card slot/USB interface/RDS/ DVD /FM/AM/TV/AV
Compatible with mp4/mp3/DVD/VCD/CD/CD-R/CD-RWetc
Adjustable double din in dash structure,automatimally memorize the position of screen, and slide device with auto-protecting function
Uniquely designed circuitry including standby function to increase battery durability
Adjustable parameters can be memorized automatically, and resume back to the default value.
Stable electronic-anti-shock + mechanical-anti-shock
Automatic identification of PAL or NTSC systems
Everything operational by remote control (included)
DVD digital audio output
Real time clock function
One channel video input,two channel video output; Two channel audio input, three channel audio output
2 Antenna input (Antenna is not included)
4X 45W audio output
30 preset radio stations
Multi-function OSD menu
Small light available on the button of the panel
Fluorescent keys available for the remote control
Radar detection and rearview mirror both available at option
CDC (multiple-disk cartridge) play control function available at option
GPS function
Universal steering wheel control at option

The nagivation map include the following countries:
Belgium,Denmark,Germany,Spain,France,Ireland,Italy,Luxembourg,Netherlands,Norway, Austria,Portugal,Switzerland,Finland,Sweden,United Kingdom

GPS Features:

Map software supported: Gate 5, Route 66, Tomtom, Cardinal.
Processor: Adopt SAMSUNG High performance processor S3C2440, Max.main frequency 400MHZ.
EMS Memory :64MB SDRAM
Storage device: 128MB NAND FLASH,Support SD/MMC Card.
Operation system: Win CE net 4.2
Display output : CVBS+S-VIDEO output. (Resolution:320*240) or simulation RGB output (Resolution can be adjusted according to panel; such as 400*234 for 6.5 inch. 480*234 for 7inch.)
Audio output: Stereo output of CD tone.
Human machine interface: Support infrared remote control and touch screen operation.
GPS specification: Adopt SiRF STAR III 20 channel and excessive high sensitivity GPS receiving module REB-3310, Orientation sensitivity reach -159dBm, Orientation presicion<10M,Orientation time of cold boot is 42S,Orientation time of warm boot is 35S,Orientation time of hot boot is 1S.
Power specification: Connect car power DC12V,Current<500mA;Max power
Consumption:4.5W(12V/360mA),Normal power consumption 3W(12V/250mA).
Working temperature:-30

cant believe it does all this ive sent out loads of emails asking if tom tom works with it but not one has come back to say it does yet heres the link £249
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T7000-7-Two-Din-Car-DVD-Player-with-Built-in-GPS_W0QQitemZ270177220010QQihZ017QQcategoryZ67772QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlmicro17 wrote:
The nagivation map include the following countries:
Belgium,Denmark,Germany,Spain,France,Ireland,Italy,Luxembourg,Netherlands,Norway, Austria,Portugal,Switzerland,Finland,Sweden,United Kingdom
Is it supplied with these maps or are they extra??
Also are you looking to purchase this kit or are you the seller? - Mike
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlmicro17 wrote:
T7000 7" Two Din Car DVD Player with Built-in GPS
You seemed to have missed a few words when copy'n'pasting. Firstly, the ebay ad states the maps are optional. Secondly, it only provides a built in GPS, although the specs do seem to imply an onboard "Win CE net 4.2" OS, which may well explain it - I think they have included a basic OS to allow you to install apps onto. Whether or not any individual app actually works is more a gamble...

In fact, reading the ad a second time, it's not clear if the Win CE is included, or is simply part of the spec of a suggested SatNav device (in the same paragraph it tells you what video settings you would need to set your device to output to in order to work with the screen)...

Love to see one of these and find out it's a got all the functionality in there, but previous "double DIN with GPS" units I've seen have simply had a GPS built in, which outputs via a serial connection, and the only input is a video signal (and how many of our PDAs have video out...?)
carlmicro17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: tom tom on t7000 in car Reply with quote

i just got an email back from an ebay member he says hes got tom tom working no probs so i sent him another email to ask him whats needed will keep you posted
v0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that seller was very carefull not to post any pictures of the units OSD in the listing, only snapshots of Route 66 working on it. What I'm getting at is - most of these cheap units are factory OEM units - they only have basic OS with blue background, crude, eighties VHS on screen graphics and are basically ready to be customized by larger manufacturer or OEM brand - like JVC or RipSpeed with proper onscreen graphics. So, functionality questions aside (can radio or CDs be played with navigation switched on etc) without seller actually providing photos of the unit working in Radio mode you might end up with unit that is great for navigation, but blinding you with blue screen and white on screen graphics in regular radio and cd playing modes. Here's few examples of what I mean:

Unadapted unit with OEM graphics:

Adapted unit with OSD:
InDeNiaL
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to be a guinea pig and test out one of these OEM devices from China. After making sense of the "Chinglish" manual of how to wire the damn thing up, it is actually quite an awesome piece of kit.

I brought this one off Ebay which seems to run its own cooked up version of WinCE 4.2 and the Route66 navigation software. In answer to some of your questions, CDs and the radio can be in the background while navigating. The background audio is muted while the navigating voice speaks, the the audio will un-mute itself. I'm yet really to experiment with it fully. Like, I want to see if TomTom will load on as it is running WinCE.

Functionality wise, its more comprehensive than the top notch TomTom PND's.

All in all its not bad for 300 quid. An In dash unit which actually runs decent SatNav software. Now I just need to get a cage to fit it into the dash. Here is a few pictures of it in operation if you are interested.

http://www.in-denial.co.uk/nav

Last edited by InDeNiaL on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting, do you have a link to the seller?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a tip I would remove the coordinates from the one of your pictures if that is outside your house, you never know who can work out where you are, Sculcoates ring any bells? - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: