Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Quest 2 Reply with quote

Having lived with the quest for 4 months I would like this chance to say Don't buy this sat nav system.
The Mapsource software is great and is a real bonus for me as I like to plan routes for my motorcycle and then concentrate on the road letting the sat nav tell me when I'm going to be changing road.
The Quest concept is fantastic but in trying to cram in all the functions from the 1 to the 2 has resulted in a very busy processor.
At the same time they have produced a compressed version of the mapping and I think this is where the problems start.
The Quest 2 simply cannot cope with uncompressing the maps quick enough to tell you where you are going, I find my self approaching multiple junctions very slowly as after passing through the first junction I don't receive the map for the next junction untill Im through it.
I am currently trying to return my system and upgrade to the Zumo, I need my system to be waterproof.
The Zumo is more expensive but having spent £150 on extras to fit the Quest to my bike the difference in price between the two units isnt as daft as first appears.
I would just like to say if you want a system that is waterproof save up a little longer and get the Zumo or other Garmin system as overall I'm impressed with them it's just the Quest2 which is disappointing.
Des
nomadman2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Hi being an owner of a Quest1 for 2 years now and having driven across the USA from coast to coast (difficult since you need to limit the amount of information you transfer) and all over Europe, I decided to treat myself to a Quest 2.

All the blurb states Postcode searching (which I had to call Garmin to find out how to do it since the manuals dont tell you), full Europe mapping, bigger memory, so I went for it.

Oh my what a sorry excuse the Quest 2 is, having the same processor trying to decompress all of that map data makes for a very very slow unit indeed. The map redraw can take anything up to 45 seconds, the recalculation takes longer, gone is the useful and friendly advice to turn in 0.1mile, 500ft, etc, now it simply states "turn left" once 0.2mile is reached.

Very very disappointed, I contacted Garmin who said that the speed cannot be improved at all on this unit and that it is end of life now. So i returned my unit as unfit for purpose. Put it this way if you are driving along and miss your turn, you need to drive at around 10mph for the unit to catch up and let you know when to turn next.

Instead I went out and purchased a Garmin Nuvi 370 and I have to say it is so impressive, full Europe NT v9 and North America NTv8 preloaded, very fast calculation on routes, if you miss a turn, the new route is ready within 3 seconds. The turn announcer tells you the road names to use which is very helpful.

Sorry Garmin but the Quest 2 is not man enough for the task and a very sorry excuse for an upgrade to the wonderful Quest 1.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: