Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 6 Navigator 6 in the USA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 6 Navigator 6 in the USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: TomTom 6 Navigator 6 in the USA Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading from Pocket CoPilot 5. I have used it with some enjoyment but there are a few things that are significant enough to have me look at alternatives.

1. The POI database is very lacking. I need a significant POI database which includes gas stations, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, etc.

2. The software does not know the proper direction of many one-way roads (this is a huge problem here in the NY metro area).

These 2 things are a big deal to me. Can some USA users of TT 5 or 6 comment on your experiences with using the software. There are many positive comments from users but it seems that this forum is heavily based in Europe (which will be great for my next trip there).

Thanks so much,
Pete R.
Bampah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used TT6 for 7 weeks in Nevada, Utah, Arizona & California and never had a single problem in 4,000+ miles.
My wife never had to read a map once which made her (and me) very happy.
What made her even happier (but not me) was that all the Michaels craft outlets were covered in the Shopping POI.
Fully recommended.

Rob
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using TT5 and 6 for a year and love it. It never tried sending me down a one way street the wrong way. I like the way it recalcs a new route as soon as you miss a turn, no fuss just gets it done. I'm amazed every time it takes me right to a location I've never been too. Definetly reccomend.

Bill
superseagulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Another thumbs up from me, I have lived in the USA for 18 months now. I emigrated with TT5 installed on my XDA exec that I purchased from Expansys.
I have travelled extensively over the USA, including ALL the west and east coast states and a load in the middle.... Very rarely let me down....
I purchased the TT6 as an upgrade late last year, as I was most impressed. Sure the POI's are lacking 100% cover, but gas stations etc are more than covered, it won't let you down.
Areas I have problems finding are scenic sites, state parks etc, I know some are in there, but not always easy to find.....
The updates seem to be quicker to be updated to map than the English maps, there is a junction here in Hillsboro Oregon on the 26 that was rebuilt completely, the update was shown on TT6, approx 1 year from it's completion.
3rd party POI's are hard to find though.............
Tomtom was a great tool for a new immigrant, and someone who travels a lot for work, allowing me to find bars, restaurants and other places while in the middle of nowhere!
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billconant wrote:
I have been using TT5 and 6 for a year and love it. It never tried sending me down a one way street the wrong way. I like the way it recalcs a new route as soon as you miss a turn, no fuss just gets it done. I'm amazed every time it takes me right to a location I've never been too. Definetly reccomend.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks. This means alot from someone who travels in the Boston area (not an easy are to navigate and streets are quite complex). Actually, I will be doing more traveling in New England with my expanded sales territory.

Thanks again...

Pete R.
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superseagulls wrote:
...3rd party POI's are hard to find though.............
Tomtom was a great tool for a new immigrant, and someone who travels a lot for work, allowing me to find bars, restaurants and other places while in the middle of nowhere!

Are you talking about 3rd party POIs in general or is there something specifically more challenging when using TT? Thanks...
superseagulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: poi's Reply with quote

Yes 3rd party poi's seem to be harder to find than UK ones, I have a few of the usual suspects, wal-mart, costco, target, best-buy and fry's but generally seem harder to locate on the web.
We have also created a 'new' car game, I set a siren for Harley davidson dealers, that is ticked for notify when not on route, and set the distance to 500 yards, the first to see the location gets prize! Helps pass the time with kids (and bored wife)!
Be careful around Boston though, the majority of roads are underground - not the best scenario for satellite navigation! I haven't checked the tt6 in boston yet so not sure if they are fully updated yet.... Tt5 was a little 'patchy'
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Gurkhaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I should appreciate it very much if someone could inform me which of these two is more appropriae for my PDA, Typhoon MyGuide 3500 (Mitac Mio 168 clone):

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=142050

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=23&Language=1&P=151# (the US Southeast Region one in particular)

I look forward to your helpful advice and suggestions. Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: