Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATMAP active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATMAP active 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there have been organisational problems and we don't know why the long manufacturing delay (except that we know they modified it a bit after some criticism).
But I still don't think you can say don't buy it without seeing some reviews or users comments.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:

But I still don't think you can say don't buy it without seeing some reviews or users comments.

I agree with that....I'm definitely going to wait for the reviews to find out what it does and how well before I buy it.

Ideally they would put a PDF of the user manual on their website for download.
devonaire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Response to Doug Reply with quote

I am not saying don't buy it. If I wasn't interested in it I wouldn't be here. It sounds brilliant and I want one, but...........

What I really mean is that it might be best to wait to see if the initial teeething problems, if there are any, are ironed out before you donate £300 to the Satmap beta testing fund.
[/i]
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Response to Doug Reply with quote

devonaire wrote:
I am not saying don't buy it. If I wasn't interested in it I wouldn't be here. It sounds brilliant and I want one, but...........

What I really mean is that it might be best to wait to see if the initial teeething problems, if there are any, are ironed out before you donate £300 to the Satmap beta testing fund.
[/i]

The only unfortunate thing about that is that just about every “technical” product released today, requires a beta tester, (you and me) to report back with faults before it works properly – just look at the day-to-day questions on this site, with products that have been out for some time.

If you wait for it to work properly (if that ever happens) the product is out of date and something else more interesting is offered.

Unfortunately being a beta tester is a sign of the times, whether we like it or not, it's hopefully a case of "it works as intended".
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Richard_C-O
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Satmap Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Guess what: I share your frustrations but I'm pleased to say that we're starting to ship the Active 10 now. There's many reasons for the delays and unfortunately all were unavoidable. It's an innovative product which makes a number of technological advances over existing GPS and of course innovation takes time - if it was easy our competitors would have already done it!

Instead of giving you a list of excuses, I guess what's important is that the product is now ready and we hope you'll agree it's worth the wait. Like any company we need revenue but the product has got to be good - so unlike a lot of companies we took the decision to delay rather than asking you all to be our beta testers.

Everyone who has registered will be contacted next week. Now that we're starting to ship product we will be able to shift our focus more towards customers and less on product development. We will work hard to improve our communications.

Thank you very much for your patience and sorry for the delays.

Kind regards,

Richard Calthrop-Owen, Satmap
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Reply with quote

Hi Richard, great to hear from you at Satmap.

Richard_C-O wrote:
We will work hard to improve our communications.

We are aware that this is
Quote:
......an innovative product which makes a number of technological advances over existing GPS and of course innovation takes time - if it was easy our competitors would have already done it!

As you can see here, there are worries among possible buyers, of the problems that "might" be ahead.

I'm sure that Darren or a PGPSW staff member will create an area for this product on this site once it is released, so could it be a possibility that you, or a member of your Active 10 team, could eliminate some of those worries, by using this PGPSW site as a go between point, by setting up a "Active10 Support and Feedback" thread for all of us to communicate with you once we obtain our new Satmap GPS devices.

This is an idea recently being used here by viaMichelin it's a great way for your Company to find out how your customers are finding the Active 10 and for you to remove any potential "blips" you might find in this new innovative product.

With direct attention from your Company like this you could remove a lot of negative comments in one go.
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Response to Doug Reply with quote

devonaire wrote:

[/i]
check the website now,for all the info u need
had a short walk tonight to try out satmap,i previously used garmin map 60c which i payed £399 for,it makes the satmap look a real bargain.
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If John Lewis and Blacks are going to stock it, it can't be that bad!
Richard_C-O
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure that Darren or a PGPSW staff member will create an area for this product on this site once it is released, so could it be a possibility that you, or a member of your Active 10 team, could eliminate some of those worries, by using this PGPSW site as a go between point, by setting up a "Active10 Support and Feedback" thread for all of us to communicate with you once we obtain our new Satmap GPS devices.

It’s an interesting idea to set up a dedicated area for the Active 10 on this site, but this is clearly something for PGPSW to decide. If it was there we’d do our best to support it - in conjunction with our own direct customer support service, of course.

We do recognize feedback is essential to help us refine our products and we will be listening carefully to what our customers tell us. One key advantage that we have is that we are not a faceless multinational, so we have the potential to be pretty responsive to good ideas and observations.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_C-O wrote:
It’s an interesting idea to set up a dedicated area for the Active 10 on this site, but this is clearly something for PGPSW to decide. If it was there we’d do our best to support it - in conjunction with our own direct customer support service, of course.

Quote:
It’s an interesting idea to set up a dedicated area for the Active 10 on this site........

As a large amount of GPS users use this site to get there problems answered by other means than their supplier or manufacturer, due to companies either having their head in the sand evading obvious problems, or "technical support" not being technically minded enough to answer the question submitted, i'm sure that PGPSW will be pleased to set up a Satmap "Active10 Support and Feedback" thread here once the product is released, as it's a great way to bring GPS owners together - even if it doesn't require a speed camera database.

I would have thought that having somewhere to get questions answered direct, is a major step forward in customer support from the buyers point of view, particularly when it is a brand new product such as yours which always brings in nervous purchasers.

Quote:
.....but this is clearly something for PGPSW to decide.

Down to you PGPSW, there is an invite here.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the website is launched!! Shocked

A bit of information on the product and the enthusiasm is once again restored Very Happy

Looks like a bit of a trek from Plymouth to the nearest dealer in either Guildford or Hereford Shocked

Although I'm getting the southern half of GB map I think the map catalogue would benefit with a map illustration of the region cards

Technical qustion....all the 'photos' of the unit show the mapping zoomed in to the point that the screen shows little over 1 square km on the 1:50,000 mapping...can it it be zoomed out to several square km and still clearly see details?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just so happened that I went to Guildford yesterday at the start of a cycle ride in the area and popped in to both planned sellers of Satmap to see the thing in action....neither had had it in. Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until the web site is fully up and running, then you will see images which detail the map area coverage, don't ask how I know this though Cool

As for zooming in and levels of detail, with the as supplied road atlas the level of detail such as road names increases as you zoom in, as you zoom out first to go are road names followed by some smaller streets. With a premium map pack installed that covers 1:25K and 1:50K the level of detail is very good at most settings, if walking zooming right in produces a very clear detailed view, in the car zooming out to about 3 miles visible left to right on the screen is more than adequate with good detail -Mike
phead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website is a bit of a muddle. The banner ad shows counties and regions at 1:25, but the text says only counties are available at that size, and the shop has no 1:25 maps at all.

Anyone seen any independent tests anywhere yet?
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had the satmap for almost a week now,believe me it is worth every penny. planning a route on screen is easy ,on saturday i walked a route in dense woodland where my garmin map60c would always loose signal .the satmap had excellent signal strength throughout the walk. for anyone with any doubts about the unit get one ordered you'll not regret it Very Happy Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: