Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATMAP active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATMAP active 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to post up many pictures of the unit for a while, but in answer to the screen and mapping res I have just taken these pictures of my unit, they are not good pictures as its dark in the PC room, but rather than mess around with windows on existing maps these are from the device:

The map information screen:

The as supplied "Road Map":

Zoomed in to display the 50K scale coverage

When you zoom in to close detail the unit switches to 25K scale:

Oh and the reason the images look slightly out of ratio is due to me hand holding the camera, must get the tripod out for this sort of work in future! - Mike
finkployd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
..magnifiers can't add detail either!!

true... but maps don't show your current location. At this magnification, if you choose to show road names, they will be shown too. Not all roads are named, and obviously if you're in the middle of a bog on the north yorkshire moors it's of very little help, but its there if you need it.

I've only used this unit in anger once and it was still all new to me. I think I'm going to enjoy using this device a lot. It all depends on the software yet to be released and the web site being fully released (including on-line planning tool). That would make this a truely great product.
terrypin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finkployd wrote:

[snip]

I got profile infomation for it including height gain, loss, avg speed, etc all without additional software... ace. I imagine editing it by hand on the unit will be a pig..but thats what the online tool will be for.

Is 'height gain' what I call cumulative ascent? On a walk I would want to know that, and the cumulative descent (identical for a circular walk of course).

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
finkployd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrypin wrote:

Is 'height gain' what I call cumulative ascent?

Yes... I don't know the exact wording the thing uses, but thats what I thought it to be.
Some way of saving this infomation on a trip by trip basis would be useful too.

The manual is not the most detailed document I've ever seen, but it gets you started.

Oh.. and I've lost my first gromet cover thing that covers the USB port. Why couldn't they mould it into the unit like thay have the SD cover?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finkployd wrote:
Oh.. and I've lost my first gromet cover thing that covers the USB port. Why couldn't they mould it into the unit like thay have the SD cover?

The quality of the unit is great until they got to this gromit cap, then it looks as if they run out of ideas or time.

When the unit gets dropped, this end will hit the ground first due to the batteries position, how will we get the mud out of the USB port?
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
finkployd wrote:

When the unit gets dropped, this end will hit the ground first due to the batteries position, how will we get the mud out of the USB port?

Well currently the USB port serves no purpose whatsoever....it might as well store soil samples!! Laughing
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baptised it today with an 80 miles ride and the review will follow soon. There were a couple of issues but nothing to stop me being very pleased with it.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My review is updated here

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=42379.msg592960#msg592960
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 hours and some first evening playing around with my first set of batteries on the initial ride....today's ride the battery life was over 8 at which point I arrived home....settings were screen at 70, on all the time, no data boxes and a bit of panning around every now and then....I think I can live with that.

One thing that is getting on my nerves is the Trip Log....not something that influenced my initial purchase, I wanted it purely for navigation whilst using my existing cycle computer for my all important trip distance.

I thought the problem on my first ride (31st Oct) was my own fault for not seeing the trip log is reset independently of the track but now I think there is a bug.

This is what happened today:

At the start of the ride I cleared Wednesday's trail and reset the trip log and set off for my ride. After 5ish miles the batteries from Wednesday died so I replaced them with fresh 2500 mAh, looked at the trip log and saw the Trip Started box read 31 Oct...I can't remember what the other boxes read so I reset the trip log and carried on....during the next couple of hours I looked at the trip log and the various boxes were filled with realistic figures compared to my cycle computer taking in to account the lost 5ish miles. At 45 miles the Active 10 froze, needing a battery taken out and put back in...looked at the trip log after turning it back on to find....Trip Started 31 Oct...distance was about 29 miles....not even todays plus 31 Octobers distance...max speed was 5mph and Total Time was just over 69 hours!!! The unit froze again at 80 miles...I reset the trip log and it said Trip Started 1955hrs...even though it was 1725hrs...looking at the clock on the data box was wrong...so that needed changing in settings Rolling Eyes Then to finish for the remaining 22 miles the GPS showed me consistently 100-150ish metres to the west of where I actually was. Do GPS not like the dark, or something?

It would seem the Trip Log is only good if you can finish your ride before it freeezes, after that it just makes all the figures up.....as gimmicks go I think a customisable screensaver is far more useful...especially if you can upload your own pictures!!!! Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used mine today for a quick trip up the tallest of the Three Peaks - Whernside, I have to say it worked very well the detail of the 25K mapping was excellent and I only used the backlight at 50% even though it was unusually warm (sunny) considering the time of year.

The issue of it drawing a trail across the screen as the GPS position initialises is a pain leaving rubbish all over the screen and strange values in the Trip Log (perhaps this is also what is messing up your trip log robs1972? when you re-insert a battery it will cold boot the device), fortunately this is soon to be resolved with a software fix, once its made available we can see how well this works.

My only other main issue is knocking it out of GPS mode back to planning when re-inserting the device into its case, one slight touch of the cursor is all it takes - I did this three times today, minor but it is annoying when you next switch on the screen for an update only to notice it is in planning mode and not where you thought you had left it. - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

The issue of it drawing a trail across the screen as the GPS position initialises is a pain leaving rubbish all over the screen and strange values in the Trip Log (perhaps this is also what is messing up your trip log robs1972? when you re-insert a battery it will cold boot the device), fortunately this is soon to be resolved with a software fix, once its made available we can see how well this works.

It did that on the first test ride...my Max Speed was shown at 84mph and the trail showed I'd travelled several miles across open fields only to return to where I had stood all along.....but what I described today is far more worrying....having reset the trip log three times today and it still mention 31 Oct and have mileages and speeds that bear no resemblance to either today, 31 Oct or the adding together of the two....and 5mph max speed!!??!! Confused

How is this for a future firmware update....have the backlight boost button have two possible functions...which you can configure in settings.....function one is the current use...function two is turn the screen on and off....sounds good to me...I'd have function two selected permanently.
Yasack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At the start of the ride I cleared Wednesday's trail and reset the trip log and set off for my ride. After 5ish miles the batteries from Wednesday died so I replaced them with fresh 2500 mAh, looked at the trip log and saw the Trip Started box read 31 Oct...I can't remember.................

I have had exactly the same thing as this. Now does anyone know if this is going to be rectified in an update? I was wondering if these problems are due to rechargeable batteries being used or not!!!

If anyone has had any response from SatMap about this I would like to know what they have said, if not I will try and contact them myself.

Regards,

Richard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not down to the type of batteries you are using as it does this with a large variety of different cell types.
Good news is that there will be an option to turn this on/ off with a software update as well as a few other desirable changes I will leave it up to Richard/ Howard to say when and what the exact details are though - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better news would be that they could fix the Trip Log rather than have an option to switch it off...unless that would save the battery life a bit.....but I'd rather they spend their time sorting out the program needed to move GPX files to the Active 10....Satmap can never be Way Ahead without this pretty basic function.

I've had a reply about the inaccurate A road labels on the mapping....they belive it's Ordnance Survey's error.

I saw the 'First Review' in Trail magazine in the today....with all due respect to the author it looks like it's based on reading the information that was on the net 6 months ago and gives no insight in to the use of the product. The only evidence he appears to have held one is he comments on the USB socket cover being easy to lose. I rarely blow my own trumpet but Trail magazine should've asked to use my review....with a few tweaks, it was wriiten whilst watching Strictly Come Dancing!!! Laughing
Yasack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But that is from the same people who told us the website would be up and running in a week, and we all know how long that took.

And furthur more the web site still isn't up and running fully I don't think. If it is then it is the worst site I have seen. I can't understand how it takes so long to get things set up, I mean the unit was delayed for its release due to the fact that, 'there was a delay in the parts being manfactured' so could they not have spent there time sorting the web site out so that it was fully ready when the SatMap was launched.

Come on SatMap, don't leave the community out there who has spent good money on this product hanging around, unable to use it to its full potential.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: