Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Mark its certainly possible to make your own voice files, I have done so in the past, its far from a 5 minute job though setting up the PC as a recording studio!

Mike,

Quite! I took an interest in this as I'm familar with Audacity and such stuff. But my thinking was this : browsing thgrough, there seems to be a limited (or no) voices for Europe/North America, and yet some of the UK ones could be used effectively for the foreign ones (like "Speed Camera - 60" is fairly generic). Could the "_uk_" ogg file just be renamed "_eur_" and automatically be picked up by an appropriately named POI?

mikealder wrote:
As for reporting any errors you have found please post them in this thread where they will be looked into - Thanks - Mike

See "Andy":

pocketgps_eur_specs_120.ogg
This is an odd one out in the list as it says "variable speed camera" and not "average speed canera zone".

pocketgps_eur_specs_tba.ogg is missing

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20.ogg
pocketgps_uk_specs_20.ogg

do not have the the words "speed limt 20 mph" unlike the others.

From what I've read in this post and elswhere, if one has a TomTom "text to speech" voice (I have "Simon, English UK, Computer") can I then write the required text mesage onb the device and it will be stored as the relevant ogg file for a POI? I guess this won't work if I chose a "normal" voice?

So many questions!

Cheers,

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the spoken camera alert messages for the UK sets end with the words "miles per hour" so using these in Mainland Europe wouldn't be correct as they use KPH for the UOM, but renaming the files to swap the _uk to _eur would work.

If your mobile phone and TomTom work for reading out text messages on the device you can send an SMS to the TomTom and record the output on the PC using Audacity, save as OGG Vorbis and name each audio file to correctly match the Speed Camera category. You do need to be using a computer voice for this to work, the normal recorded voices simply don't work for this type of work.

Some of the voices with the 20MPH limit were created after the initial set, getting radio DJ's to put their own time and effort in to recording this little lot isn't an easy task, as the camera database has now expanded and covers more categories there will inevitably be some gaps. I am sure Andy_P will add more substance to this reply when he is on line as he created most of the voice file sets we are currently using - Mike
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Most of the spoken camera alert messages for the UK sets end with the words "miles per hour" so using these in Mainland Europe wouldn't be correct as they use KPH for the UOM, but renaming the files to swap the _uk to _eur would work.

OK, clear now Smile

mikealder wrote:
If your mobile phone and TomTom work for reading out text messages on the device you can send an SMS to the TomTom and record the output on the PC using Audacity, save as OGG Vorbis and name each audio file to correctly match the Speed Camera category. You do need to be using a computer voice for this to work, the normal recorded voices simply don't work for this type of work..

Top tip!

mikealder wrote:
Some of the voices with the 20MPH limit were created after the initial set, getting radio DJ's to put their own time and effort in to recording this little lot isn't an easy task, as the camera database has now expanded and covers more categories there will inevitably be some gaps. I am sure Andy_P will add more substance to this reply when he is on line as he created most of the voice file sets we are currently using - Mike

Understood.

The reason for much of this is the realisation that one can use the ogg method for any POI; there are a few that I would like to have specific audio messages associated with. While this is outside of the speed camera forum, it's here that the penny has dropped.

Thanks,

Mark
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick and simple way to create voice files and can be done within 5 miutes is to use the AT&T demo site http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php you pick your voice, insert text, and then download in Wav format, if i remember this can then be inserted into Audacity and then saved as an ogg file, also if i remember i had to increase the volume level, but it certainly works
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
A quick and simple way to create voice files and can be done within 5 miutes is to use the AT&T demo site http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php you pick your voice, insert text, and then download in Wav format, if i remember this can then be inserted into Audacity and then saved as an ogg file, also if i remember i had to increase the volume level, but it certainly works

Nice tip! I tried it out and the UK male voice is quite good ....

Cheers,

Mark
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
A quick and simple way to create voice files and can be done within 5 miutes is to use the AT&T demo site http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php .........

aj2052 - Thanks for the TopTip. I wan't to marry Juliette! No idea what she is saying but she gets my attention.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
trickymicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm missing something here but this is driving me crazy. I have a T930 Version 8.351, I have followed all the instructions to add the pre set voice alerts, well I think I have .

I have the latest complete zone camera updates installed, and came across the voice alerts by chance and thought easy peasy.

I've downloaded nick on speed zoned and unzipped to POI, but I am still getting the bell symbols and still not getting a no choice for pre set voice alerts.

No doubt you've heard this a zillion times before.
I've looked on the forum but was blinded by science due to me be very intellectually challenged on the pc front Crying or Very sad

If you could explain in really really simple layman's terms id be forever thankful
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try....

First, you shouldn't be downloading the voices to "POIs"

Assuming you are following the instructions sat the bottom of THIS PAGE, there are two methods shown.

Method one - you put the unzipped voice files in your MAP folder (Western Europe, United Kingdom - whatever yours is called) the same place as the camera data files. You then do the normal setup instructions, but it WON'T allow you to choose a file, it should just ask "Is this the sound you want?" and you must answer "yes". It does this because it recognises the voice files have the same name.

Method two - you put the unzipped voice files in the "sounds" folder (if it doesn't exist, make one). You then do the normal setup instructions, and it WILL allow you to choose a file. The voice files will be in the same list as the normal sound effects. Much easier to my mind, but the drawback is that the default filenames are so long, you can't see which is which, so either listen to each one by tapping on it to find out what order they are in, or rename the files to put the "PocketGPSWorld bit at the end rather then the beginning.
trickymicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy Smile
I am going to blame it on the beer as to why I put them in the POI folder even after reading the instructions about 20 times.
Just one last thing, why is there 2 sets of mobile camera alerts on the my tom tom? What's the difference?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickymicky wrote:
Thanks Andy Smile
I am going to blame it on the beer as to why I put them in the POI folder even after reading the instructions about 20 times.
Just one last thing, why is there 2 sets of mobile camera alerts on the my tom tom? What's the difference?

if you are referring to Mobile and pMobile, all is explained on the downlaod page:

Quote:
What are the pMobile files?

The pMobile files were added as an extra set of warnings so that you could be aware of places that may have a mobile camera in place. They are sites that have been submitted but not yet verified and so have not been checked for accuracy.

trickymicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren
derekwilliamsuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case PocketGPS are interested, i have created a set of female TomTom Speed Camera Alerts (for UK Speed Zoned) generated using the free IBM TTS speech service. Let me know if you wish to host on the main site.

Derek
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekwilliamsuk wrote:
Just in case PocketGPS are interested, i have created a set of female TomTom Speed Camera Alerts (for UK Speed Zoned) generated using the free IBM TTS speech service. Let me know if you wish to host on the main site.

Derek

if you can send them to me I'll take a look. darrenATpocketgpsworld.com
derekwilliamsuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
derekwilliamsuk wrote:

Derek

if you can send them to me I'll take a look. darrenATpocketgpsworld.com

Email sent as requested.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All received, thanks, I'll take a look ASAP.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: