Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - This is pure rubbish - I would like my money back
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

This is pure rubbish - I would like my money back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I need for tomorrow.

Not dumb or stupid, gingermonkey, maybe just a little impatient at the urgency in requiring the safety camera database and maybe rushed a little.

If you take a little time having a look round you'll see it does actually all fall into place.

Welcome
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your frustration but there are two sides to every coin. We do receive complaints that our website is difficult to navigate but very few considering the number of users. The website has grown from very small beginnings and as new areas and features arrive they may not always sit well with the original format.

A complete re-design is costly and complex. Without some form of user consultation to identify why some people struggle it is difficult for us (familiar as we are with the layout) to know where it could be improved. The killer for us though is indexing. Site re-designs can heavily impact search engine ratings and this would be very damaging for us.

At the end of the day it is of course important to us that everyone can navigate the website successfully. I might however suggest you approach problems more diplomatically next time!
Thready
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Darren

I can understand the OP's frustration, I am new to the site myself but am a regular poster on other forums, so consider myself to be familiar with board layouts etc, but as with any new site the forum takes some getting used to and this one, being as popular as it obviously is has a lot of links and stickies to navigate through which can seem daunting to a new user.

However, I do think the OP was rather rude with his criticism, he could have worded it much more diplomatically, which would probably have been met with far more sympathy.

I for one am extremely glad I eventually found this site, and agree that you need to keep your profile up in search engines because I tried a couple of rival [and unhelpful] forums before I finally reserved a seat by the bar in this one :-)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No critisim of the OPs intelligence intended. Just a critisim of the "i can't use this site therefore the site is wrong" attitude coupled with the "i'm off somewhere better" rather than asking for help......
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingermonkey wrote:
Subsequently I discovered that I could download the speedcamera database

So you DID succeed in getting the cameras before "tomorrow", in fact from your first post at 7:05pm to this one at 9:05pm, including the 45 minutes you said you'd spent trying to work it, you must have been up and running inside a couple of hours. That's not too bad for a newbie. It takes me about half an hour (in addition to being a pensioner, I also take a long time because I download and mess about with three different versions).

So how did it go with the cameras next day? Did you find (like the rest of us converts) that it's pretty good value for money? In case you don't know, another update has just been released today and your £2 subscription entitles you to download it right now, even though the one you've already got is only pease pudding 9 days old.

By the way ...
Quote:
... still I guess stupid birds of a feather...
keep this up - we love chirp jokes on this site. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Or maybe There are 1010 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't. :P
gingermonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Whilst not wishing to prolong this thread.... Reply with quote

I admit to being somewhat lacking in the diplomacy debt for which I apologise. However, this failing that would not have come to light had there been an easy to see/navigate/use/press/identify way of sending an email to the owners. I don't like airing my dirty washing in public, but the double frustration of not being able to find the database and then not being able to contact the owners via email set me off, and from my nickname you can see that I'm of the ginger persuasion.

Incidentally, as I said in one of my earlier messages, I used to come here a while ago when it was all free - to upload the database for my XDA. I then found the database immediately; still, I guess that it's all progress.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Whilst not wishing to prolong this thread.... Reply with quote

gingermonkey wrote:
I admit to being somewhat lacking in the diplomacy debt for which I apologise. However, this failing that would not have come to light had there been an easy to see/navigate/use/press/identify way of sending an email to the owners. I don't like airing my dirty washing in public, but the double frustration of not being able to find the database and then not being able to contact the owners via email set me off,

On the left had side of every page on this site is a link entitled Contact PocketGPS. I'm not sure how much clearer theat could be!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingermonkey wrote:
Quote:
I admit to being somewhat lacking in the diplomacy debt for which I apologise.

I am sure we can all move on now, lessons learnt, we all upset members from time to time, I did today when elsewhere i cracked a joke about illegal immigrants and a member complained.
There are all kinds of people here some politically correct others not , some with a sense of humour others not, but we all have the same interest and try and help each other.
It does take patience looking around this site due to its size, and all of us often miss bits.
Good luck with using the database and hope we hear from you again.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
gingermonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Whilst not wishing to prolong this thread.... Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm not sure how much clearer theat could be!

How about under its own heading? How about under the Help Section? How about not in the middle of lots of other links? How about putting in Red Text? Etc etc

Whilst being a bit facetious (I'm not seriously suggesting these options, just using them to counter the sarcasm), you could make it flash, use 72 font, have large arrows pointing at it and so on, have naked women carressing a flashing banner.......

Like I said, I'm not making this up - yes I was in a rush, but the Contact Pocket GPS link did not stand out (and still doesn't). Most websites that I visit seem to have a contact option at the top and/or bottom of each page - not embedded with other options at the side.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, valid criticism which I'll take on board and see if we can change Smile
gingermonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or maybe There are 1010 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

??? Sorry don't get that?

Why 9?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah no wiat - i think i do....

Can't wait for the "naked women carressing a flashing banner" - i'm sitting here hbitting F5.....
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Ah no wiat - i think i do....

Can't wait for the "naked women carressing a flashing banner" - i'm sitting here hbitting F5.....

if you hold down CTRL when pressing F5 it will perform a 'hard' refresh Rolling Eyes 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: