Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I buy laser/radar detctor?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I buy laser/radar detctor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Should I buy laser/radar detctor? Reply with quote

I have the dubious pleasure of owning a RAC SatNav 110 unit on which I have updated the speedcam poi's from the database on this site. I was thinking of buying a laser or radar detector to complement my satnav unit. Does anyone have any recommendations. I was thinking of a talex lite, would this be the correct type of unit to buy?

Steve
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Might be answering my own question Reply with quote

But would a Micro Fuzion laser/radar detector be better instead?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the talex lite, but i have a Drivesmart to compliment my Sat Nav.

I find that the Sat Nav has more details on safety vans than the DS, but overall the DS gives me more warning (a talking voice telling me speed, whether i'm too fast, camera type etc) and more flexability on the move (distance adjustment, capture of cameras not listed) as it was manufactured with only speed cameras to think about.

Additionally the DS has an inbuilt calculator to work out the distance/speed calculation if you foul up entering or going through the "Spec" cameras.

Although my DS is ugly, if you do high mileage, i believe two is better than one.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: ok tks for the info.............. Reply with quote

Does anyone know when laser/radar detectors will become illegal in the UK. I will still use one after that date, don't suppose any manufactures/suppliers will be selling them cheap in the UK one they are illegal?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been lots of threats to make laser detectors illegal but as yet it hasn't happened.
Your best bet is to get a GPS type "locator" as these are not only more accurate, but also the winner if the Goverment changes the law.

I have a Whistler which is a radar/laser detector but its warnings change on the weather conditions, I have had warnings where if i had of been speeding I would have been "nicked".

The only illegal "gadget" at the moment is a laser jammer such as the Valentine, these will stop the laser beam from a gun obtaining a reading for up to 8 seconds allowing you to brake.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be answering my own question Reply with quote

stevest220 wrote:
But would a Micro Fuzion laser/radar detector be better instead?

The cheaper radar detectors don't work very well. Get one of the respected brands like Bel or Valentine. It's a lot of money to spend if they are going to outlaw radar detectors and they are only really useful for picking up mobile and fixed Gatsos.

They don't detect Truvelo, SPECS, Monitron, DS2 or VASCAR and their detection ability for laser traps is questionable too. The manufacturers tell you that you have time to slow, but if you are targeted directly by a laser gun then they have a speed reading on you before you can even think about slowing down.

I've heard that Laser jammers work if setup properly, but they are probably illegal.
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Tks for all the info Reply with quote

I'll take it on board and decide what to buy. As I'm not really bothered about the legality of the system it will probably be a laser jammer.

Steve
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tks for all the info Reply with quote

stevest220 wrote:
I'll take it on board and decide what to buy. As I'm not really bothered about the legality of the system it will probably be a laser jammer.

That's probably your best bet, Laser traps can target you from quite a distance so you may not see them till it's too late. Fixed cameras are no problem with a GPS based warning system and hopefully you would spot the mobile Gatsos.

Good luck and drive safe!
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be answering my own question Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

I've heard that Laser jammers work if setup properly, but they are probably illegal.

No probable about it. Considering the power required you would need a licence to transmit. If you got caught (a high probability as most Police devices have warnings of jamming) then you would not be looking at 6 points. 6 months more likely. TBH it is not worth it.
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

road angel did do their own laser detector and also a number plate laser detector if the number plate detector is plugged into the stand alone laser detector it could then be hidden in the car. Hard to get holdof both these days, but ebay i guess would be your friend.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smstextaddict wrote:
road angel did do their own laser detector and also a number plate laser detector if the number plate detector is plugged into the stand alone laser detector it could then be hidden in the car. Hard to get holdof both these days, but ebay i guess would be your friend.
Jeepers, this smstxt business is hard work! One capital letter, two full stops and a comma. Do me a favour and go back to edit your post please, so that a bit of grammar helps make it a little more comprehensible to a mere native. Try to remember I can't hear you saying it out loud.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tks for all the info Reply with quote

stevest220 wrote:

Steve

I have to comment here. Laser /radar detectors will be outlawed in Q3 2008 with the final section of the Road Safety Bill brought into effect. Radar has long since passed being of any great use anyway as all handheld SDD's are laser based. The Road Safety Bill supports the use of GPS based systems and outlaws radar and laser detectors. Jammers have always been illegal.

Laser detectors are worse than useless as they instil a wholly unjustified feeling of security. Any warning you receive if you receive one at all will be too late to enable avoiding action. The only chance is you catch scatter of a car ahead but its so slim as to be pointless.

Laser Jammers on the other hand will get you jail time if caught. The first case was proved last December with the defendant earning himself 18mths full-board accommodation courtesy of HM and a conviction for perverting the course of justice.

The latest software on LTI's will detect any attempt to Jam. All that will then happen is you receive a visit from the boys in blue who will impound your car and inspect it.

I have no issue with camera databases, I do have an issue with anyone seeking to overtly speed by the use of a jammer or some such.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a radar gun or whatever has set off your radar detector what will you do Exclamation it's already got your speed Laughing so what's the point.

Just don't speed in the first place.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Just don't speed in the first place.

If never fails to amuse me that some people think this is a good way to avoid getting nicked for speeding. Laughing
tropdevin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ebay will no doubt ban any items that are illegal - after a time, and provided they can spot them! - but there are plenty of items such as the Road Angel and Snooper available from UK sources at present. And although they don't appear to allow adverts for the discredited Photoblocker, they allow indirect links to shops selling it.

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: