Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satnav risk targeted by new consultation.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satnav risk targeted by new consultation.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Satnav risk targeted by new consultation. Reply with quote

Just read this in Fleet News Journal.

Quote:
The government has launched a major consultaion into the use of satellite navigation systems and is seeking opinion on what risk they pose to driver safety. It also wants to know whether it needs to introduce legislation that prevents systems giving 'inappropriate routing', encouraging the use of 'rat runs'... bla bla ...as technology has moved on significantly since existing legislation was set in 1989/1990.

'As the use of satnav systems becomes more common, there is a need to ensure that the devices do not pose a safty risk through driver distraction. It is also necessary to ensure that routing strategies do not encourage the use of 'rat runs' or give illadvised or illegal instructions.'

bla bla ... DfT website HERE

Hands free mobile phone, anyone???

This legislation could be a real two sided coin. Improved mapping and/or guidance on one hand. Touch it and you're nicked legislation on the other.
:|

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a positive move forward, it clearly states on this DfT site:
Quote:
The intention is not to restrict industry but, rather, to ensure that safety and traffic management are considered appropriately in the design of systems on the market.

"Rat-runs" are normally a pain in the a**e, they often include roads with "sleeping policemen" (humps to you and me) and schools, so often slow you down rather than speed you up, avoidance of these are a plus.

Any driver who has ended up being directed off the cliffs, or down a narrow lane will support the maps be altered to send you the correct way.

My Nuvi is classed as a dynamic route guidance systems, so it can respond to changing road conditions , once you put in the destination, you don't have to touch it, if you get lost it will re-calculate itself back to the route so totally "hands free".

Using the road as a safer place is all the DfT is after, the effort is with the manufacturer and we should reap the benefit of a better product.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most dangerous hand-held device used while driving is a CIGARETTE. When the powers-that-be decide to make those hands-free or better still ban them outright, then I think they might have the ethical right to start meddling with other driver distractions.

Let's see.. "drug (nicotine) affected driving" or "incorrect routing information".... Wonder which is the more dangerous?

Z.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's see.. "drug (nicotine) affected driving"
Yes, a positive plus in helping you keep calm when some clown is tailgating or overtaking at speed and cutting in, or in heavy traffic. It's suprising how a nice 'ciiggy' stops retaliation. :P Smoking should be made compulsory in cars, it stops road rage. :D
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat Nav evidently NOT a risk. See HERE
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property

As a sat nav user, I have certainly found that in general my stress levels while driving have been reduced. I can't however say that the distances travelled have been reduced.

One thing I did notice about the link was the regular mentioning of TomTom, so I wonder just how independent it was? Was the brief to come up with something positive for the sponsors of the report.

Not that I am in anyway suggesting that TomTom does not have the effects quoted, just that sometimes statistics are used to prove something when the reality is quite different. I can remember a case where identical engines were fitted to two cars, one in the Sporty (for the day) Capri which was genrally reliable, but the other in a family saloon was not. This had the 'experts' foxed for some time as it was the Capri which was generally thrashed, and you would expect more failures as a result. This apparrently perverse result turned out to be an oil supply problem at lower revs. As for the lower accidents, I wonder whether the type of driver who chose to use Satnav during the period from which their data was take into account, and whether the accident rates of those drivers before they used satnav was used as the control - or if the control was drivers who don't use satnav.

PS I am (hopefully obvious) a fan of SatNav, it is just that I hate 'spin' - in my eyes it devalues any genuine conclusions to such a degree that they become so suspect to be of little or no value.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:

One thing I did notice about the link was the regular mentioning of TomTom, so I wonder just how independent it was? Was the brief to come up with something positive for the sponsors of the report.

that to me makes me think they don't really know what they're actually studying... in the same way people who don't really know about mp3 players call any mp3 player an ipod...

MaFt
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing I did notice about the link was the regular mentioning of TomTom, so I wonder just how independent it was

Exactly Neil, just as the DfT could come up with a report saying we will have to be taxed for using a St. Nav. and probably have to take an advanced driving test, at a cost (tax) to ourselves, to prove we are still in control of our vehicles when using one. Far fetched yes, but as you say, how independent are these reports?

Personally I only use my TT when I'm travelling to an area I don't know e.g. holidays or day trips to France, or if I am travelling A to B, B to C, C to A, where I'm unfamiliar with the B to C section of the journey, otherwise it's switched off.

To me a Sat. Nav is far safer and more relaxing than using the alternative, a paper map, plus my wife can enjoy the countryside instead of being glued to the Road Atlas. (Plus no more arguements :D )
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referring back to the first mostdom post

Dft Document reads:
Quote:
In-Vehicle Information Systems Consultation
Chapter 4,
The key general considerations include:
1) Ensuring the human-machine interface of the device is not unduly distracting
2) Ensuring the routing algorithms favour the most appropriate roads
3) Maintaining a level playing field between static and dynamic devices
4) Ensuring a new system is widely supported and workable

With point 2)
On Saturday the Sat Nav map tried to direct me into a drive to a Vicarage and Church, which narrows down to a pedestrian walkway, fortunately I knew i couln't drive up this track, but I wonder how many others have tried. This is one of the standard everyday Sat Nav problems that can make us waste even more time and energy than reading from an Atlas and get us more bad tempered on the road.

The map writers desperately need to take a large step and ensure the directions are reliable and appropiate for the type of roads available or the gain from this technology is negative.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started using satnav a few years ago, I had a similar experience in deepest Wales, I was directed down a road that was as wide as the M25, suddenly a sign appeared warning me of a 'single track road with passing places',.....Ok it was 2am and I am used to such roads, so carried on until I got wedged on a bend on the very,very narrow road.

BUT upon looking at the paper map after the event I would have still taken that route, it looked fine on paper!

That is the only time it has done me wrong and I still don't blame it Wink

To old to die young.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Quote:
BUT upon looking at the paper map after the event I would have still taken that route, it looked fine on paper!

Thought that was a good point classy56, so just looked at my AA Sreet by Street Ordance Survey of the area, and it clearly states that there is a road of aprox 100metres length followed by a "track or footpath".

I shall watch closely to see how many more I can find.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negativly, we could end up with a user ajusted interface, where you the user has to adjust the road-use settings before setting off.
Settings like road priorities for motorways, toll roads, A roads, B Roads, Side roads, Back roads, cobbled Roads, etc.etc.

Imagine the grief the sat-nav companies will get when people are still being led down country roads. It would be their get out clause.
(well you didn't set the settings right)...

Done right though could be a real bonus to the user. Sure will seperate the good companies from the bad ones.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
in the same way people who don't really know about mp3 players call any mp3 player an ipod...

MaFt

You are quite right, there is a mini, nano and shuffle as well :D

But seriously given the dominance of TomTom in the market place it is very common for users to call GPS TomTom, in the same way that a few years ago Garmin and GPS were synonymous.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
The map writers desperately need to take a large step and ensure the directions are reliable and appropiate for the type of roads available or the gain from this technology is negative.

I can assure you that they do, but it is such a huge task, and one or two small errors will always be there. This is of little importance when you are talking about paper maps as you make the decision where to go. I have had the same experiences using paper maps the difference here is that the inaccuracies stay in the paper maps far longer. I am still using a 10 year old AA Map of UK (well as a backup).
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The policies and the hypocrasy of successive governments is the true cause of the chaos that exists on the roads today yet the motorist remains the easy victim of politicians, why?, because we are the most lucrative source of income for the treasury. You would think to hear all the recent talk of road congestion, of pollution and of the need to finance better public transport that there had only just been a realisation that these problems existed and that our noble government where immediately seeking to tackle these issues as a matter of national urgency. What rubbish! Governments going back generations have levied ever increasing taxes on motorists in one form or another justifying this on the need to either build new roads, to improve public transport, or to ease congestion, yet we have some of the worst and most congestive roads in europe and an absolutely next to useless public transport system.

Consider how we now have national distribution networks around the country rather than the local services we once had. Everything has become centralised and therefore we need large fleets of lorries to take and fetch to abattroirs, dairies, factories of one sort or another. My brother is a lorry driver and travels over 400 miles a day to deliver milk to supermarkets so that we can drive out of town to buy our milk rather than having the milk delivered to our door. Animals are transported hundreds of miles to be killed and butchered so that their meat can be driven yet more hundreds of miles to be delivered to supermarkets so we can again drive out to collect it rather than take a pleasant walk to our local butcher. Vast industrial estates have taken over from local business, yes, you guessed it we all need to drive now in order to get to work. School's? We all need to drive our kids to school now because the best schools are 10 miles away from where we live and we need our big gas guzzling 4 W/D's to get there, why? because we need to protect our children from being hit by other parents driving 4 W/D motors. Of course we have to do this journey during rush hour traffic and add to the chaos by parking on the zig-zag and double yellow lines outside the school gates because it would be to healthy for our kids to allow them to walk a few hundred yards otherwise. The small community post office come village shop now killed off by government policy necessitating that we now have our pensioners having to have bank accounts and therefore needing to travel by car to get to the bank because public transport is inadequate for most people's needs. Billions have been taken off us but public transport remains as bad to day as its always been. You can't get a return ticket before 9.00am can you?

The road networks are becoming increasing diabolical! Complicated junctions with multitudes of traffic lights, lanes and signposts. Small almost unseeable roundabouts marked only by white painted lines or little white bumps in the road is it any wonder that a sat nav get confused, I know I do. You obviously need a degree in stupidity to plan a road these days and a degree to understand how to drive on it. I think more is spent planning them than building them. The government should be worried about how many times you have to take your eyes off the road just to read the blooming signs or to try and make sense of where you are on it.

They say they are concerned now about people being distracted by a satnav in the car. Its a blooming god send. If they are so concerned about people paying attention to driving why are they placing so many distractions and threats on the road for us to comprehend. We are all becoming increasingly paranoid about speed cameras and mobile lasers, so much so that we are needing to fit more and more devices to our vehicles in order to stay alert and safe from the threat of losing our license for having strayed just a few miles over the limit. Whilst billions more are being taken from the car driver in terms of fines, still precious little of this is going back to improving our roads or public transport links. By outlawing satnav and speed camera detection systems they must surely hope to rake in even more millions by watching us from space whilst we drive from A to B. The best part of it is we will all need to pay hundreds of pounds to have little black boxes fitted in our cars for the priviledge of making it easier for the government to fine us not just if we fail to notice the gatso or mobile laser, oh no, they can be dispensed with. With eyes in space they will be able to monitor us just about anywhere we go and fine us for the slightest speed violation. Will you be able to afford travelling to work on the motorway at peak time or will you be forced to travel down minor roads because you are on the minimum wage? We are being conned!!!

If you haven't already loaded the pocketgps database into autoroute and visibly see all the various speed traps it depicts try doing so, its horrendous. How governments can claim this isn't about revenue is beyond me. However, once you have accepted this act and are monitored from space you give up any right to anonymity. What ever happened to democracy and the right to privacy? Don' t you think it worrying, I do. Its getting more like Logan's Run and such.. 8)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: