Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman support reply
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman support reply
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So because your unit works for you , it must work for everyone else ?
freedie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope; however if I do not mention that it works, all of you saying it doesn't may believe that your situation is "the norm". Wink
chas49
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a little balance - I too have had no problems with getting a TMC signal on my Navman F20 with T1 module using the supplied external antenna.

So far the unit has only been used in North Bucks and Oxfordshire so I may find things different when I travel further afield - but so far so good....
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nope; however if I do not mention that it works, all of you saying it doesn't may believe that your situation is "the norm".

Well for a start the product I'm using is not the one you are Confused Plus its easy to be flippant if you have a product that is working. I and many users have a problem with a product we bought. You seem to be rubbishing the idea that we have an issue with a product because you have something that works and if it works for you it must for everyone, its not even the Navman that i and others have an issue with, go figure 8O

I and a lot of others think there is an issue with the product we bought, buying third party kit strengthens that. It works when using third party kit . I'm saying there's an issue, not that its the norm if anyone has a unit that works then bully for them , lots of people cant get it to work. This is not a "mine works yours doesn't flaming thread". Its about people with a common problem debating it and trying to get some redress .

Go look at these threads and tell me there is no issue with our product .

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43369

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39947

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48951

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48829

Well this is far from the norm, would you say , eh ?

[/quote]
malcolmb1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So because your unit works for you , it must work for everyone else ?

and

Quote:
So far the unit has only been used in North Bucks and Oxfordshire so I may find things different when I travel further afield - but so far so good....

To add some more confusion - mine worked like crap in the UK but is great on the continent - if you discount the fact that my 530 is incompatible (probably for licensing reasons) with the Dutch system so I ended up buying an F20.

Also - my 530/T1 combination worked immediately "out of the box" in North Bucks (on the side of a hill looking north over Milton Keynes) but faded out pretty quickly around Leighton Buzzard and past Aylesbury.

There was also complete absence of usable signal on the M25 between the M1 and most of the way down the M20 towards Folkestone.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue is more with the provider and the fact they only transmit on limited stations.
Don't get me wrong this limitation should be advertised by the seller of the GPS (no matter which company) and they should also be pressuring the TMC provider to improve UK wide TMC coverage that will be 99.9% reliable.
tony60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any of our more experienced members cast any light on this TMC issue,how is the signal transmitted and at what strength,why a car radio can receive the station without problem and the TMC unit needs in some cases a specilist antenna to function.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony60 - The radio broadcasts in the UK are broadcast at a much lower signal strength than most other countries, hence these problems. The car radio can receive the station without problem for a number of reasons - firstly, it has a nice large (often amplified) radio antenna outside of the metal box of the car, secondly, it has extra processing to try to smooth out the noise, which is fine for music and speech, but no help to a data signal.

My clock radio at home has a single wire aerial, and has great problems receiving radio signals with any level of quality, yet my car is fine outside (I'll note my traffic receiver with a single wire performs much better than the clock radio when inside the house).

The solution to the problem (for many) is a better aerial, or connecting into the car aerial circuit - it's not the traffic receiver at fault, it's simply the low quality aerial, which is sufficient for nearly every other country in the world, except the UK.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony60 wrote:
Can any of our more experienced members cast any light on this TMC issue,how is the signal transmitted and at what strength,why a car radio can receive the station without problem and the TMC unit needs in some cases a specilist antenna to function.

There was a large thread about this some time ago. (I'm not gonna try and search for it for you) but the gist of the tread reveiled that the freqency of the transmission was such that the arial had to be a specific leangth to pick up a good signal. Now although the navman ariel is ok in this facit it is dulled in its abilities because of all that metal around it namely the car. Hence boosting and external ariels etc.

French reception is higher because the Privatly run Motorway networks wish it to be and have intalled antennas to give their customers just that. Stray from the motorways and the reception will slowly deminish. However the concencis is that the signal is stronger.

To annoy you all. I am still using the supplied navman T1 arial. It works most of the time (say 80% on the routes i've run it on) this includes a run to folkstone where it continued to work well, even in the recent blizzards at 2:00 in the morning.

Maybe I'm just lucky! Maybe you're all idiots who can't install a small feeble wire! Maybe you are in the wrong part of the country! Maybe you haven't read the instructions, fitted the wire 120mm up 240mm accross at a 92 degree angle, to form a trapezoid shape, only 19mm from the edge of the window frame with car only facing north, whilst driving with one hand in your crotch!

BUT!

It obviously shouldn't be this hard to make it work! There is something wrong!

P.s. I have asked the PGPSW team visiting the CeBit show to ask some posing questions, fingers crossed.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even tho I'm happy with the F20 unit its self . I will never buy a navman product again. The customer support is woeful and i get the feeling that its a matter of getting your cash and that's about it. They may help you regarding setting up etc, but if it comes to forking out money because of problems with their kit, forget it . Your basically on your own.
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustysworld wrote:
Even tho I'm happy with the F20 unit its self . I will never buy a navman product again. The customer support is woeful and i get the feeling that its a matter of getting your cash and that's about it. They may help you regarding setting up etc, but if it comes to forking out money because of problems with their kit, forget it . Your basically on your own.

You're under the impression that other vendors are better. Not necessarily a very good one I'm afraid.

Realisticaly the vendors are out to make a profit. That's the bottom line. And sadly support is done by people. They get tired, cranky, fed up with the same questions time & time again, and of course they're dealing with products that weren't really designed for use in the UK (If they were, then they'd work a bit more reliably with the pathetic signal we seem to get).

Now I've had a TT500 (Traffic updates via GPRS/Internet) and now a Nuvi660.

TT were nice but useless. The data didn't match reality, but it usually did connect (Although there were large periods of time that the server was either unable to cope or just down). Nice support system (Web based, you can see your questions & their answers. I can still browse ALL my support calls. Ref numbers etc. The works. very nice), but sadly they were seemingly unable to get their heads around the quality of data they were providing. Needless to say I didn't pay after the free trial.. It was more frustration than anything else. I just went round & round, and they shrugged in a gallic kind of way and blamed ICTIS for the data quality problems.

Garmin... Sadly their support setup isn't anywhere as good as TT's. You fill out a form, and hope an email comes back. No ref numbers etc. They're pretty adamant (Always have been) that any problems are operator based & that their software & design are perfect (Or next best thing to it).
Having said that if you have a hardware problem, I think they'r ebeen the best around. Often 'fixes' are a complete refurbishment of a unit, and frequently it's free. They seem to take genuine pride in their hardware. It's the software support that lets them down (Although things that work, genuinely work very well).

I haven't tried NavMan... Maybe next time Smile

H
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i'm not under any impression of any other company, where did i give you that impression . . I work on the fact that navman support is kak. If others are too, that's for me to find out when i take my custom else where .
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustysworld wrote:
No i'm not under any impression of any other company, where did i give you that impression . . I work on the fact that navman support is kak. If others are too, that's for me to find out when i take my custom else where .

I was merely pointing out that if you're moving your custom elsewhere for better support, you're going to be sadly disappointed.

If I was a little more paranoid I'd say the vendors are in a shagging big conspiracy to sell us something they forgot to test...
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum bought one of them cheap sat nav for £99 at PC hell . I told her to take it back, i thought it was awful the easiness the size the build quality. She packed it up and off to buy a better make .
nch2284
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Navman Support Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been using navman stuff for a few years now.. I must be getting my support from somewhere different to you lot, because I've found their support to be outstanding. :D .. Now I know that put's me in the minority.. Confused

I've always telephoned the gatwick office - and the've ALWAYS bent over backwards to help me. :D

A couple of examples - last week I telephoned for a replacement set of discs - they arrived the next day free of charge, along with an email with new application and map keys. :D

Previously my HP5150 wouldn't work with the BT GPS. A quick trip to Gatwick - they tested everything on the spot for me - and told my HP4150 was playing up. No charge and it was no problem. Smiles all round. :D

I'm delighted with Navman stuff. (ST V2 & V3) and recently a shiny new F20 - which is used daily. As navigation tool it's great... much better than fumbling thru my a-z. :D

And so far in 4 weeks of constant use in Hants/Wils/Glos it's found eveything I've wanted. :D :D :D :D

Neil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: