Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Qstarz BT-Q818: 32 channel, 32 hour BT GPS review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Qstarz BT-Q818: 32 channel, 32 hour BT GPS review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickgraves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: E-Bay Reply with quote

I also concur with p800 having bough one of these from the same supplier on Ebay 5 weeks ago with no problems.

The performance is excellent, far better than my old
SysOnChip CF III Plus which didn't particularly like my Mondeo heated windscreen.

The BT-Q818 on the other hand, works from any where in the car, even my glove compartment!

Nick
(Dell x51V)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a response from Qstarz. The official UK distributor is:

HSU Ltd.
Attn: Ms. Caroline Song
TEL: +44 7921 383 193 / +44 7737 620 585
email: hsultd@hotmail.com

They should be able to provide details of where to purchase these GPS receivers, and any other Qstarz product.
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

I reckon its HSU as in below.

p800 wrote:

Between a few friends and myself we have bought 5 BT-Q810's from a supplier on ebay, and have had no problems. They also stock the BT-Q818. The supplier is HSUUK, and this is the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Double-32-Channel-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver-TOMTOM-NAV-SAT_W0QQitemZ220082087556QQihZ012QQcategoryZ75327QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

As you can see they have a 99.8% positive feed back and the person that complained and left negative feedback was offered a refund. I could not find anyone cheaper, so one bad ebay experience should not put you off buying from them. After all of that, it is an amazing unit.

PS - Here are there contact details:

Highest Standard Ultimate Ltd UK
CS Dept. MS. Song
Flat 406E, 119 Alexandra Road, PL4 7DU, Plymouth, Devon, UK
Phone: +44 (0)79 21 38 31 93 Weekly 0900AM-0100PM
Fax: +44 (0)1752 42 55 70 (Landline is using for Fax Machine)
Company Number in UK:6002506
Spies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTaxmanCometh wrote:
Has anyone had any problems with dropout on the Bluetooth connection with the BT-Q818?

My Nokia N73 (updated to the v3 firmware) loses the connection with it every couple of minutes or so, and I've read elsewhere that some other devices have 'issues' with it (e.g. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1204066)?

Regards

TTMC
On the Qstarz site it does state:

Quote:
*Qstarz BT-Q818/BT-Q810 is featured with Auto On-Off function (Sleeping mode) for power saving. However Nokia N73/E50 does not support Sleeping mode, so it may interrupt the Bluetooth connection when pairing with Qstarz BT-Q818/BT-Q810 GPS receiver. For Nokia N73/E50 user, please consult Nokia service center for latest firmware update.
Spies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the update rate is? Is it ever 1 second? Is it any worse for tracking small movements than GPSlim 236?
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Skippy wrote:
MikeB wrote:
the new 32 channel GPS receiver

I really don't get it. What's the point of having 32 channels when there are only actually 24 live GPS satellites (plus a few inactive spares) and by definition at least half of them are going to be below the horizon?

Hi Mike and Skippy,

In theory, more than 12 or 14 channels can be of benefit. Signals from the same satellite can be received both directly and bounced off a building or mountain, etc., and the receiver would use one channel for each signal.

A very simplified explanation of how GPSrs receive signals is that they have to "guess" at what the signal is, and then compare it with what actually arrives. If the "correlation" is positive (i.e. more than 50% of the received binary data agrees with the guess) then the receiver can refine the guess and try again. When the correlation gets near to 100%, then the GPS can use the data. However, the correlation is never 100%, because the signals are so weak that "noise" always corrupts some of the data bits (but hopefully different bits each time the "frame" is received).

Now, the "guess" must include not only the satellite number, but the time, location and even the speed of movement (because of doppler effect). Therefore, in principle, the GPS receiver can set up multiple channels for the same satellite (with different assumptions) to speed up the acquisition of a "new" or "lost" signal. However, I do not know to what extent, or which (if any), receivers actually use this technique.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Spies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found some reports of BT-Q818 not working with N73 so don't buy one if you have an N73, it won't work.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllyCat wrote:
[In theory, more than 12 or 14 channels can be of benefit. Signals from the same satellite can be received both directly and bounced off a building or mountain, etc., and the receiver would use one channel for each signal.

It's an interesting theory. Though if you have one channel per PRN code then it wouldn't really be needed. Maybe it would help when getting the initial fix...

Which got me thinking, if you have a 12 channel receiver and it has a valid almanac then it will know roughly which sats are overhead. This breaks down if you have moved more than a thousand miles from your last known position and it has to go into random search mode to figure out where on earth (literally!) it is because it doesn't know which sats it should be looking for.

Maybe this is where a 32 channel receiver can come into it's own. It doesn't need to worry about predicting which sats are in it's hemisphere because it has enough channels to listen for every single PRN simultaneously? However, that would only improve your TTFF under a very limited set of circumstances - ie, when you just get off the plane in a new country.
Spies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: A reply from Qstarz Reply with quote

Here is a reply from Qstarz regarding the pairing issue with the N80 which will apply to the N73 also:

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your calling, and the purchase of Qstarz products.

1. Due to the quick time out between Nokia phone and GPS receiver, your phone would show the message ※unable to pair devices§. Actually, N80 already complete the pair with BT-Q810. So you can ignore the msg. when you start your navigation software, it would establish the Bluetooth connection automatically and start to navigate.

2. If you use Tom Tom for the navigation, Nokia N80 (Symbian serial 60 V3.0) works on Tom Tom 6, but doesn*t work on Tom Tom 5. Please check the version. Please check the web sites http://www.tomtom.com/support/product.php?ID=1401&Language=1&FID=6441, http://www.tomtom.com/support/product.php?ID=186&Language=1&FID=2551 for your reference. Although N80 is not in the list, it works on Tom Tom 6.

3. Attached is the test program for Win CE and PC. Please use them to test if GPS works fine.

4. Please setup your N80 and GPS by the following instruction for your reference

Pls firstly make sure the Bluetooth connection is established between your PDA/smart phone and BT-Q810. After pairing suceeded, you will be found "iBT-GPS" in your Smart phone/PDA pairing list. Then make it connected. Go to your navigation software such as Tomtom to make sure setting is correct. For first time positioning, it takes longer time around 1~10 min. depends on your environment. Pls get below more detail operation procedure.

Firstly, ensure that the Smartphone and GPS are paired (for instructions on this, get as below).
Nokia Smartphone
Turn on both the GPS and your PDA. Go into the &Connectivity* screen on your Nokia, select &Options* and then &New Paired Device*. Select iBT-GPS from the list and enter the passkey &0000* (four zero*s) when prompted. Once the code has been entered, set the device to &Authorized.
The GPS is now paired with the Nokia Smartphone.
For information regarding connecting to your GPS software, select the &Back* button on your browser to return to the software-specific page.

For Tomtom Mobile 6,

1. Once paired, open TomTom Mobile 6 and select &Change Preferences * from the menu. Select &Show GPS Status*, and then select & Configure* on the bottom right corner. The GPS should be set-up as & Other Bluetooth GPS*, and then select the Bluetooth port on your mobile device.

2. Back to GPS status screen - check left upper corner. Does it show " No GPS device" or " No Valid GPS signal " ?
If "No GPS device" it means you didn't connect the BT-Q810 with PDA/smart phone right, Pls. will try again Bluetooth connect.
If " No Valid GPS signal" , Pls. will go outdoor and make sure the BT-Q810 with Satellite Green LED is steady on and this means BT-Q810 can receive GPS signal correctly.

Make sure the LED light as below to know it is worked properly:

1. Power LED: Make sure it's On status with no LED light, but low power with red LED light flashing.

2. Bluetooth LED: When Blue light is flashing per 1 second, the Bluetooth link is established between your PDA/smart phone and BT-Q810. When Blue light is flashing per 5 seconds, it's under power saving mode.

3. Satellite LED: When Green light is flashing, you are starting to navigate or do positioning. When Orange LED light is steady ON, you are not fixed yet.

***If still can't solve your problem, pls try to reset your Bluetooth GPS by taking out the battery for 5 min. to re-put the battery. And delete the paring list from your phone. Then re-do the all the operation procedure.

Pls check and let us know if you have any question

Best Regards,

James
biniaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: What Is The Best Bluetooth GPS Reciever? Reply with quote

I have a XDA Exec with TT6 & my old reciever is dead. I live & work in Centrel London & read this review. I just want to know what is the best BT Reciever on the market to go for with where I live & what equipment I have?

Cheers
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Can't get BT-Q818 to work Reply with quote

I've just bought this device off eBay. I've got it charged, installed & configured on my PDA (T-mobile MDA Vario) OK. I created a partnership, then assigned it to COM6.

I installed VisualGpsCE, but it doesn't seem to be able to connect to the 818.

The device itself has the satellite LED flashing, so it's got a fix. But the bluetooth LED is on continuously, it's not flashing.

In VisualGpsCE, I click on Connect | Serial port, but COM6 doesn't appear in the list.

What am I doing wrong? Help!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through This which shows the correct proceedure for setting the Bluetooth up on a WM2005 device - it then continues to show setting up TomTom - just ignore that bit.

It might be easier if you delete the existing Bluetooth bond and try again, make sure you select SPP (Serial Port Profile) from the list of services - Mike
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I tried your suggestion, which is virtually identical to what's described in the manual (apart from "secure connection"). Unfortunately, it had no effect.

My gut feeling is that this is a bluetooth problem, as the blue light doesn't flash. The bluetooth signal is obviously detected from the GPS, but it just won't connect. Although I select COM6 during Bluetooth configuration, this is just not available when I run VisualGPSCe.

I'm a bit reluctant to buy TomTom Navigator until I'm sure I can get this thing working. Any more thoughts?
Leon_Jabachjabic
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Took the plunge... Reply with quote

Well I took the plunge and my QStarz BT-818 arrived today.

It charged to full in a little (but not much) over the 3 hours advertised and I then gritted my teeth, deleted the pairing with my 'old faithful' Rikaline X7 (battery life now down to < 4 hours) and went discoverable with the QStarz. It paired immediately, and on starting TomTom, the QStarz had a fix in my living room even before the TT5 GPS status screen had come up on my XDA2. Once TT5 had caught up it turned out to be 7 satellites (and I've since seen 9 - whilst watching the telly).

I was mildly disappointed, though, on my first trip out to find that the QStarz was only receiving 6-7 sats en route. At least, I was until I remembered that the darned thing was still in my fleece pocket! What was very noticeable compared with the Rikaline was that the status bars stay blue at a much lower signal level, although to be fair there is also a lot more switching back and forth between the weaker signals (more of them though).

It's really too soon to say how much en-route accuracy has improved - most of my driving is in rural and semi-urban areas (so few high buildings) and the Rikaline was pretty fair at that anyway - but in terms of TTFF it blows the Rikaline away (as it should) and makes TT5's start-up sequence look like the system bottleneck.

Highly recommended.
biniaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: HELP!!!!! Reply with quote

Im wanting to get a new Bluetooth GPS Reciever as my old one has died on me. I drive alot in the centre of london and have tried using my TT6 on an XDA Exec to try and navagate whilst driving a fire truck at work. Could anyone tell me what GPS reciever i should get???????

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: