Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman iCN630V2 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman iCN630V2 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news.

But could someone in Navman have not forcast the furore that would erupt from original ICN 630 owners when they announced the V2?

Surely somebody would have said something like: "Hey we'd better announce the V1 upgrade at the same time as the V2 so we don't annoy the original buyers of the 630"

Or am I just been too logical?
Alex34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: According to Navman there will be no upgrade for the V1! Reply with quote

It's a shame!!!
This is the answer I received the 9th of january send by Navman:

Dear Alexandre,

there is no upgrade process I am afraid. It is a total new version of
software
and not an update so you will have to purchase the iCN together with
software.
AS far as I know there a no plans at the moment to sell the software
seperatly.
I am sorry.

Kind regards,

Birger Teetz
Technical Sales Support

Navman Europe
4G Gatwick House
Peeks Brook Lane
Horley,Surrey
RH6 9ST
United Kingdom
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandre, that statement you received is false. I spoke to the Marketing EMEA for an hour, and also Navman's PR company since then and the Marketing EMEA and Navman's PR did say that unfortunately there has been some conflicting reports in the wild, and also from within Navman. Not everyone appears to know the true score. Navman haven't made an official response because they didn't want people to keep hassling them on when the update would be and thought they could keep this low key, but that unfortunately didn't happen with the rogue reports going around.

Trust me on this one, you will be getting FREE program and map updates if you are a registered iCN630 customer. You will only have a month to register for the update, but Navman will be contacting current registered customers within the next 2-3 weeks (hopefully).

If you are an iCN620 owner, then there won't be an update available as postcode support, route avoidance and 3D maps will not be available for the iCN620. Unfortunately Technical Support in most cases are the last people to know about upgrade procedures.
StarKnight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I think we'd better wait for an official announcement from Navman, so far on their site there's nothing about any future update for V1 customers.

If there will be fine... if not and the only supported product from now on will be V2 I'll never buy another product from Navman nor suggest it to my freinds.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the official statement here, it's come in within the last 3 mins and will be posted ASAP! Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full press release is available here

You have absolutely nothing to worry about! Thumbs Up
Alex34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Good news! Reply with quote

I am very happy to read today that, finally, the upgrade will be released for free for current V1 users. What is very odd is that the mail I had received was send from Navman support. I was very upset by that. Let's wait and see now...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandre, don't lose any sleep over this Wink, I have seen this before both with many companies where conflicting information can come from within a company and from outside. In a lot of cases we have links into the Exec Teams, Marketing Departments and PR Agencies of most GPS companies so can normaly clarify things like this, but sometimes we are asked to keep quiet (under NDA) until the official press release is launched.

Navman like most GPS companies follow our site here daily and as soon as they saw the messages start popping up in the forums rather than having it get out of control they gave me a call and asked if I would announce the upgrade.
tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This has been posted on Navmans North American site.

How do I upgrade my iCN 630 to Version 2?
Question/Symptom:
How do I upgrade to Version 2 for SmartMap on my iCN 630 2 with 3D enhancement?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer/Solution:
This update will be fulfilled free of charge to our registered users. Registration was completed before you began using the iCN. Upgrades will be available March 1st, 2004. All registered users of the 630 will be sent an e-mail notification when the update is available. The Update Notification will provide you with a web site to access to update your registration information. iCN630 V2 is both a software upgrade and a map data upgrade. Therefore you will be required to delete your current map data and reload from your new CD set upon receipt of the upgrade. The map upgrade includes map data for Canada. The V2 upgrade must be done via replacement CD’s and CANNOT be done via a web download or an updater. As stated, maps will need to be reloaded to a storage card or device’s memory. You will have 30 days to respond to this free offer once received. If you did not use accurate registration information then please use the Desktop application and your CD license key to re-register with accurate information today. Note: Upgrade CDs will not be sent to addresses outside of North America for iCN 630 units originally bundled with USA maps.
gpsfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen this posted here, so I guess it's ok to link another site:
http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/comments.asp?id=240

"Navman Europe have put the Free iCN 630 upgrade page online. Register with the code on your CD and the new CDs should be dispatched within 10 days! Limited time only, so hurry!"

So let's see who gets it first!
Windy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but what will the differences be between an UPDATED iCN630 V1 and a brand spanking new iCN630 V2? I imagine (/hope!) that the software will be identical, so what about the hardware?
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Difference between the two iCN630 Reply with quote

Allright guys,

Just heard back from Navman Newzealand. I actually thought that there was no difference between the old and the new iCN630, apart from the fact that the new one comes with the V2 software. Well as it turns out, there is a difference, but not a big one. The new iCN630 is exactly the same as the old one except that it's speakers are slightly louder, and thats all there is to it.

So relax guys, we're really not missing anything.

And as for the software, you'll get exactly the same as the the new iCN630.

And whoever gets the V2 CD's through their letterbox first, make sure you let us know.

Cheers guys

iCNman

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: