Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ciggy lighter...portable battery solution out there??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ciggy lighter...portable battery solution out there??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
picdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: ciggy lighter...portable battery solution out there?? Reply with quote

I drive trucks for a living & a lot of the time the agency will send me on massive multidrops..(with no maps).....of course I get along just fine with the satnav....until I hit a truck with either no..or...knackered 12/24v socket....& the satnav battery don't last the distance.....Just wondered if anyone has come across a battery type gadget which you can plug the satnav (Etc) into??? TIA..Andy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What charging socket is on your satnav? There are a number of "emergency battery" solutions that can be used to provide external power through round or mini-USB plugs.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for at least a days power (10 hours) or more I would have a look at the automotive boost start units, some of These Boost Starter packs come equipped with a ciggy socket that you can simply plug the existing nav units charger lead in to. I would expect to get around 15 hours use from a full charge powering a Nuvi - Mike
picdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd probably do the trick!..Think I'd look a bit stupid carting that around everytime I started work tho Smile It's probably the solution I've been looking for..but on second thoughts think I'll keep carrying on navigating myself mapwise until I get close to source....(reserving battery)
Thanks Mike & lbendlin for replying....

Oh I don't think it had a charging socket as such anyway lbendlin...only way to charge it is from the cigarette lighter....(I did wire it up to a small mains adaptor once tho & that did the trick..charging-wise)
picdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking on...the internal battery can't be that big so wiring up to a normal 12v battery might give me a couple more hours..
hodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not using a power connector and connecting directly to a battery you need to be careful as (I'm sure someone can confirm exact figures) most units run on about 5V input (the in-car charging cable contains a step down transformer I believe) so wiring a 12V battery directly to the power input could fry your unit.

Matt
picdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you're probably right...(the connector handles the 24 volts from larger vehicles no probs)....it's not direct to the unit I'd wire it tho..but thru the lighter plug (connector) itself....it's what I did when I charged it via a 12v transformer.....thanks for the warning all the same hodgy..cheers...Andy.
JohnGray
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of buying a mrdium handful (8? 16?) of high-capacity AA NiMH rechargeable batteries, finding how long they last in use, and changing them at a convenient/appropriate time on your journeys? A chap at eBay running BudPak does 2800 mAh ones, which are the highest capacity I've seen, at £10 including postage for 8. Saves messing around with cables.

I keep these and the sat-nav in a lined Tesco thick plastic container with a clip-on lid.

John
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you start using lots of high capacity batteries you should consider a dedicated storage holder for them, if they short out, the higher power capacity cells can catch fire - not a nice experiance - have a look at one of These to keep them safe, they only cost a few quid! - Mike
Jamas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ciggy lighter...portable battery solution out there?? Reply with quote

picdriver wrote:
I.....Just wondered if anyone has come across a battery type gadget which you can plug the satnav (Etc) into??? TIA..Andy

I managed to build such power supply for few £
Easy to do in one hour max. All you need is:

- one battery holder with a switch that you will remove to put the usb plug.
- one usb plug (female to sold on PCB)
- one usb to mini usb cable.
- 4 AA NimMh batteries

Jamas
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also use low settings on your device when using batteries for journey's, so they last a lot longer. If you set brightness to 1 and volume at 2, it saves battery power.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: