Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ALK Announce CoPilot 7 at 3GSM in Barcelona
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ALK Announce CoPilot 7 at 3GSM in Barcelona
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: ALK Announce CoPilot 7 at 3GSM in Barcelona Reply with quote

Hot on the heels of the 12:01 CET Microsoft Announcement of Windows Mobile 6 ALK announce CoPilot 7 on 12th Feb 2007 12:05 at 3GSM Barcelona. It seems like we are not waiting until the start of the exhibition before the announcements start coming in...

The new version of CoPilot 7 will be available around about the second week in March and will support Windows Mobile 6. In fact yesterday I met the guys from ALK who had been installing CoPilot on around about 100 Windows Mobile devices in the Microsoft Demonstration Centre just across the road from the main Exhibition grounds.

During my visit to the construction site of the Microsoft stand I had a sneak preview of CoPilot 7 from David Quinn and Chris Kuruc of ALK. They demonstrated the app on an O2 Orbit on the Microsoft stand, and incredibly the device managed to get a GPS fix in the centre of the hall.

Anyway onto the new software. ALK have given the latest version of their navigation package a real work over. A lot of investment has been put into useability studies of the software in action and this has resulted in a smart looking and responsive new navigation system keyed more into the way users want to operate. Along with the change in the interface workflow the User Interface itself has been completely overhauled. ALK have taken the decision to write directly to the device and bypass the library API calls. This has given them the chance to render the graphics in the manner they want and as a by-product have at the same time speeded up the drawing of the screen. Gone are the slow and jerky refreshes.

Along with the redesign of the UI CoPilot has a new customisation and skinning capability. CoPilot 7 comes with a number of different colour schemes, but if none of them suit you then you can create your own scheme. On top of the user customisation (or maybe I should say underneath) ALK have modified the way the UI is generated to allow it to be modified by configuration files. This enables it to be easily tailored to the requirements of the carrier or hardware manufacturer. Not only can the colours be modified, but the whole interface can be reconfigured to each specific implementation.

Other improvements include a new PC based application which manages the software, maps and enhancements loaded on the device. This also returns the PC planning function back to the package, something our users have been requesting for some time.

Whilst on the subject of mapping CoPilot 7 will come with the latest Navteq mapping which will include the extended London Congestion Charge Zone.

ALK CoPilot 7 Official Press Release wrote:

Latest generation GPS navigation software for mobile phones combines dedicated system simplicity with Live services and market-first support for Microsoft Windows Mobile®6

Simple to use, dedicated satellite navigation performance for mobile phones. Brand-customisable for Mobile Operators, OEMs and handset manufacturers. Improved routing, redesigned colourful 2D/3D maps and natural text-to-speech voice directions in 13 languages.

Downloadable, community-sharable voices, routes and map styles via CoPilot®CentralTM. Latest NAVTEQ maps of Western Europe including the extended London Congestion Charge Zone and over 1 million updated Points of Interest, with the ability to search and select by brand.

New walking and cycling guidance modes, speed limit alerts and preloaded speed camera database.

Real-time mobile data services include location tracking, optional Live traffic and the ability to send locations and maps to others via SMS or MMS.

February 12th2007, 3GSM World Congress, Barcelona. ALK Technologies today unveiled CoPilot®LiveTM 7 GPS navigation for mobile phones and PDAs. Supporting Windows Mobile 6 devices from launch, CoPilot Live 7 redefines mobile satellite navigation with its simple and intuitive menus, new clearer 2D/3D map views, and compelling mobile data services. CoPilot Live 7 offers entirely personalised navigation which enables mobile operators, handset manufacturers and individuals to adjust colours, styles and features to suit their preferences or brand requirements.

CoPilot Live 7 is designed to make navigation on a phone as easy to use as a dedicated sat nav device. Entering an exact destination is simple with redesigned step-by-step address entry, finger-touch buttons, predictive address matching and on-screen set-up wizards. Large buttoned menus make frequently used features quickly accessible, with a 'find nearest' option to locate the closest petrol station or car park.

CoPilot Live 7's redesigned 2D and 3D map views enable drivers or pedestrians to see their exact location and the way ahead clearly and easily. Customers can choose from a variety of industry standard road colour schemes or create their own personalised skins. As with all CoPilot navigation solutions, Driver Safety is the priority so by default a map is only shown close to a turn or junction, progressively zooming-in automatically before returning to the non-distracting safety screen once the turn is completed. CoPilot Live's spoken turn instructions are now clearer thanks to its new Text-To-Speech voice commands, with detailed instructions pronounced naturally in 13 different languages both on Windows Mobile powered Pocket PCs and Smartphones. Driving anywhere becomes as easy as driving in your home town.

CoPilot Live 7 incorporates the latest European digital mapping from NAVTEQ accurate down to house number or 7 digit UK post code, including full coverage of the Republic of Ireland, Spain, Portugal and Scandinavia. Customers can be confident of detailed mapping on their phone wherever they venture in Western Europe. There's extensive coverage of Eastern Europe, while over 1 million updated and validated points of interest are now searchable by brand.

One of the advantages of having GPS navigation on a phone is portability. CoPilot Live 7's new Walking and Cycling modes are designed to take Sat Nav out of the car and provide voice guidance and mapping suited to the pedestrian or cyclist, ignoring vehicle restrictions where appropriate.

CoPilot Live 7's powerful new desktop management companion "CoPilot Central" enables customers to create personal colour schemes, routes, trips and points of Interest databases for download to their CoPilot or share them online with others. CoPilot Central extends CoPilot's mapping and trip planning to the desktop with powerful multi-stop pre-trip planning across Europe. Advanced diagnostics functionality automatically downloads software updates while making map upgrades simple.

In UK, over 3000 people are killed in road traffic accidents each year, 1 in 5 of which are related to excess speed. CoPilot Live 7 incorporates excess speed alerts designed to remind drivers about local
speed limits and includes a preloaded database of safety camera locations, updated regularly via CoPilot Central. Spoken and on-screen warnings are provided on the approach to camera locations. For CoPilot users, dedicated camera warning systems and subscriptions are now an unnecessary cost.

CoPilot Live 7 is a truly connected navigation system that utilises a mobile phone's mobile internet connection to deliver real-time Navigation Based Services and enables interaction with others when on
the move. Live traffic information and avoidance is optionally available for all customers, while CoPilot's unique Live location tracking via the Internet has been made easier to use than before. It's now possible to send a tracking invitation directly to a Microsoft Outlook contact from within CoPilot, enabling the recipient to view your location, send messages and even new destinations in real time.
CoPilot Live 7 also enables customers to send their location, eta and intended destination via SMS, as well as a map of their current location via MMS. Additional Live services will be made available throughout 2007, including the ability to download Points of Interest and local information when on the move via the mobile internet.

CoPilot live 7 is easily customisable for mobile operators. Colour schemes, features, icons and images can all be adjusted to create a unique own-branded customer experience. Live mobile data services can be specified by Mobile Operators to incorporate their preferred partners or customised content Michael Kornhauser, Vice President, Managing Director of ALK Technologies said "CoPilot Live 7 is a truly personalised satellite navigation system. We can now provide drivers, cyclists and pedestrians with the same experience on a phone as a dedicated or in-dash sat nav system, as well as useful real-time location-specific services such as traffic or location tracking. Now mobile phones are just as useful for helping you find the way as they are for making calls."

David Hooper, EMEAMobility Business Group Marketing Manager of Microsoft said “It‘s excellent news that CoPilot Live 7 is ready to use on Windows Mobile 6 devices. Customers can now enjoy dedicated navigation performance and a rich communication experience on a single Windows Mobile device.

CoPilot Live and Windows Mobile has enjoyed tremendous retail success through UK Mobile Operators and we expect this to continue thanks to the rich functionality available in CoPilot Live 7 and Windows Mobile 6.”

CoPilot Live 7 will be initially available for Windows Mobile based smartphones and Pocket PCs, including market-first compatibility with Windows Mobile 6 devices.

waggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Whilst on the subject of mapping CoPilot 7 will come with the latest Navteq mapping which will include the extended London Congestion Charge Zone. "

I certainly hope this includes North America. I was shocked when I found that streets that have been in existance for four years were absent.
waggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and is there usually a separate upgrade price for those with previous versions?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waggle wrote:
"Whilst on the subject of mapping CoPilot 7 will come with the latest Navteq mapping which will include the extended London Congestion Charge Zone. "

I certainly hope this includes North America. I was shocked when I found that streets that have been in existance for four years were absent.
The latest available mapping will be used, but that doesnt mean that all roads will be in the maps due to the latency of the data collection and distribution.
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again...........
Let's see if reality matches the marketing blurb......

Again,nothing about Traffic for PDA's in any of that.......another year of broken promises from ALK....

Not that I'm getting jaded with the product or anything....... Confused
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohica wrote:
Here we go again...........
Let's see if reality matches the marketing blurb......

Again,nothing about Traffic for PDA's in any of that.......another year of broken promises from ALK....

Not that I'm getting jaded with the product or anything....... Confused

I know I know...but it does say...

Live traffic information and avoidance is optionally available for all customers,

So lets hope they are right this time!!!

Matt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1971 wrote:
Live traffic information and avoidance is optionally available for all customers, So lets hope they are right this time!!

They have been saying that for YEARS now! I can't see why we should believe them now. Evil or Very Mad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know traffic is available with cp6 though a live account is nessceary
t-mobile customers get traffic as part of the bundle with cp6 i have it when i got my mda c3 with copilot

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
as far as i know traffic is available with cp6 though a live account is nessceary
t-mobile customers get traffic as part of the bundle with cp6 i have it when i got my mda c3 with copilot

Correct but live traffic is only available to Tmobile customers who purchased a phone from them!!

Everybody else who connects to Live can only track vehicles!!

Matt
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.....only available if you've got a mobile phone version......
But whats stopping ALK from utilising their live tracking service server,to drop down the traffic details,then all we need to do is to log-in every so often to download the current traffic situation.....

The code is already there in the application,and has been since at least CP V4 according to their Quick Reference guide........

All they need to sort out some sort of subscription system.Im sure it's not beyond their technical expertise,especially if they can organise such wonderfull enterprises such as the gumball rally!......Bah humbug and all that...... Confused

P.S Ponderous where have you gone?
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news that Co Pilot 7 is due for release soon. The press release makes a lot of it's compatibility with pocket PC 6, however I currently use Co Pilot 6 with an IPAQ 3790 which runs Pocket PC2003. Does anyone know if Co Pilot 7 will run on that configuration or will I need to upgrade the hardware too?

Regards
Clive
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is from the US website on the new CP7

ALK Technologies Announces CoPilot® Live™ 7 for Spring Release
Latest generation GPS Navigation software for mobile phones combines dedicated system simplicity with Live services and market-first support for Microsoft Mobile® 6

CoPilot Live 7 highlights:

* Simple to use, dedicated GPS navigation performance for mobile phones
* Brand customizable for Mobile Operators, OEMs and handset manufacturers
* Improved routing, redesigned colourful 2D/3D maps and natural text-to-speech voice directions in 13 languages.
* Downloadable, community-sharable voices, routes and map styles via CoPilot® Central™
* Significant map data updates to over 600 counties in the North America
* New walking and cycling guidance modes and speed limit alerts
* Real-time mobile data services include location tracking which includes the ability to send your locations to other users via SMS or MMS
* Real-time Traffic Enabled Nationwide
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALK have replied telling me that Co Pilot 7 should ship in April and confirmed it will run on Pocket PC 2003.

Clive
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=80008 says that the release for CoPilot 7 has been pushed back to May 2007[/url]
mervenut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Hi i'm a newbie here, so any help appreciated!

Any more info on a release date for Copilot 7 for WM, I was thinking of purchasing version 6 but will wait for 7 if it won't be too long. Does ALK offer a free upgrade to those who purchase the "old" version close to the release of the new one?
Thanks,

Mervenut

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: