Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wayfinder on the Nokia 6600 review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wayfinder on the Nokia 6600 review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Wayfinder on the Nokia 6600 review Reply with quote

We have had GPS for some time now. Just over a year ago the first Bluetooth GPS appeared. Last month Nokia launched their latest super phone the 6600. Wayfinder have created the thread to draw all this technology together into an innovative Satellite Navigation solution.

I have spent the last few weeks having fun without my PDA just using the phone for navigation to provide this review of the Wayfinder Mobile Navigation system on a Nokia 6600 mobile phone. Click here for the full review.

Will the new breed of SmartPhones eclipse the PDA as the tool of preference for GPS navigation? Only time will tell, but Wayfinder is the heading the field in this new marketplace.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike,

I now have a Nokia 6600 and would like to get a GPS nav system for it.

Wayfinder seems to be an option and your report is very explicit.
The voice volume would be an issue! Do you know if the voice would be transmitted via a wired up handsfree sytem with speaker and volume control. ( eg. MrHandsfree)

Maybe I should wait for the TomTom version for Nokia 6600!!!

Any comments

Thanks

PeterB
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I havent tried the Nokia 6600 with a wired handsfree kit, so I do not know if this will solve the volume issue. It certainly does not work with a BT headset as the phone only allows a single BT connection.

I would expect that the TomTom Navigator for the 6600 will have the same issues with volume as well. This is a hardware restriction not software.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

The newly released Route66 Mobile Britain 2005 for Nokia 6600 etc contains a volume control--- weak-loud, I wonder if this adjustment is sufficient to overcome the hardware issue???

If it works, then Wayfinder should consider a similar function!!

PeterB
stevencarpenter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Still seems expensive Reply with quote

I wonder what the cost of GPRS data will be to the total cost of the system.

I looked at this, then tried TomTom City maps (no navigation the location is simly superimposed and you have to move the map manually), I settled for Route 66 for €199 plus a Rikaline GPS for € 150.

I only drive in the UK but for me this is a beter bet with traffic updates the only GPRS download as opposed to a whopping cost of continually downloading maps and directions with a system that is "...never out of date".

I think the cost of GPRS downloads would make this more expensive compared to the odd roundabout or trafficlight appearing in the wrong place.
AFM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have two point to comment:

First: "The never out of date..." premise is a falacy. It assumes that the server will have the latest information. Honestly, does it? Do they actually tell you what gets updated and when? And how old is the "new" data? As an end user of this product I think you have no view of this. Where as if you have the data with you, you know what you have and how old it is and its up to the user to buy new data.

Second: I am actually looking into a bluetooth car kit instalation, but i cant find which GPS/handsets can be paired to a GPS AND to a bluetooth kar kit instalation?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: